Polling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polling question

The PI is set for display updates every 20 sec. which seems to work ok. If I hit the polling button, the PI responds with the temp, but only once. the box next to the polling button shows 'none' How do I set the PI for polling on a regular basis? The reason I'm asking is that when I returned to the house after running some errands yesterday, the house was warmer than expected and the thermostat screen was blank - no power. After fixing the furnace problem, I took a look at the HS log and didn't see any issues reported by the thermostat PI.

Better yet, it would be nice to have a condition that could be accessed by an event to alert me when there is a similar issue.

Current Date/Time: 9/23/2017 10:22:33 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.318
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 18 Days 19 Hours 26 Minutes 45 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.200
    Number of Devices: 206
    Number of Events: 157
    Available Threads: 200

Enabled Plug-Ins
    1.0.0.131: Arduino Plugin
    3.1.1.19842: Blue-Iris
    3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server
    3.0.6.2: Insteon Thermostat
    3.0.6.0: Insteon
    1.0.0.5: Restart
    3.1.0.2: Sonos
    Attached Files

Hi.

The box you are referring to is not related to polling the thermostat but rather for setting one of the programs you might have defined within the plugin on the thermostat.

The polling button is there to provide a way to interactively request a poll of the values from the thermostat. The plugin itself only receives values from the thermostat. It is not an event management engine which can decide when it's been too long since it has heard an update from the thermostat. If you need this in a repetitive manner perhaps you can write an event that polls the thermostat? Or if you need finer control to make adjustments when it doesn't respond perhaps you could write a VB script that polls the thermostat via the scripting interface (see example in the /scripts/ directory)?

Nathan
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

If there is a button that polls the thermostat, I don't understand why that same feature can not be accessed through an event. If it were available, I could poll the device, initiate a timer, then warn me if it times out.

Comment

This can be accessed through an event. That is what I was suggesting you might try to do. Below is an image of three events. One is a manual one where I poll my main thermostat for a temp and also fire off a delayed trigger to another event to handle the "bad" case if a response is not received. In the "good" case where I receive the temp value back from the thermostat, I removed the delayed event. Here are two logs (read timestamps bottom up) showing first the case where the event is received (good case) and the delayed action removed and second showing where the response is not received in time (I had to set it low like 3 seconds) and the "bad" case event is triggered.

The order of running the delayed event before running the poll request may be important.

Good case:
        Code:
        Sep-25 6:25:11 PM	 	Event	Delayed Trigger Event Removed: Temp Not Observed (Delayed Event)
        Sep-25 6:25:11 PM	 	TTS	Speak ():MAIN LIVING ROOM TEMP CHANGED
        Sep-25 6:25:11 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "ManualEvents Temp Incoming"
        Sep-25 6:25:11 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	VenstarT1800 Temp = 69
        Sep-25 6:25:10 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	VenstarT1800 Humidity = 32
        Sep-25 6:25:08 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	TransmitInsteon: [VenstarT1800] [0F] [6A] [20]
        Sep-25 6:25:06 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	TransmitInsteon: [VenstarT1800] [0F] [6B] [03]
        Sep-25 6:25:04 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	TransmitInsteon: [VenstarT1800] [0F] [6A] [60]
        Sep-25 6:25:02 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	TransmitInsteon: [VenstarT1800] [0F] [6B] [02]
        Sep-25 6:25:02 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	POLL thermostat: VenstarT1800
        Sep-25 6:25:02 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "ManualEvents Poll My Temp"
        Sep-25 6:25:02 PM	 	Event	Event ManualEvents Poll My Temp triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
        Bad case:
        Code:
        Sep-25 6:26:25 PM	 	Event	Deleting event after run: "Delayed Events Temp Not Observed (Delayed Event)"
        Sep-25 6:26:25 PM	 	TTS	Speak ():TEMP NOT OBSERVED
        Sep-25 6:26:25 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "ManualEvents Temp Not Observed"
        Sep-25 6:26:25 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Delayed Events Temp Not Observed (Delayed Event)"
        Sep-25 6:26:24 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	TransmitInsteon: [VenstarT1800] [0F] [6A] [60]
        Sep-25 6:26:22 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	TransmitInsteon: [VenstarT1800] [0F] [6B] [02]
        Sep-25 6:26:22 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat	POLL thermostat: VenstarT1800
        Sep-25 6:26:22 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "ManualEvents Poll My Temp"
        Sep-25 6:26:22 PM	 	Event	Event ManualEvents Poll My Temp triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
        Attached Files
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
        Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
        http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Thanks !!! Exactly what I was looking for. When I looked into creating an event based on the thermostat, all I saw was the thermostat:special triggers. I didn't think of looking at 'devices' because your PI isn't set up through Mark's PI.
          Thanks for the quick and informative reply.

Comment

Working...
          X