Not Showing In Insteon Device List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Showing In Insteon Device List

Hello, I've just today installed my 2441TH and loaded the plug-in 3.0.6.3. I am using Mark Sandler's Insteon, 3.0.6.36, under HS3 Standard 3.0.0.435.

I believe I've hooked everything up correctly, the thermostat shows up in the HS3 Device page, and I am able to address it and control it from both HS3 and HSTouch. The only problem is, it does NOT show up in the Insteon plug-in Device List. A message appears on the Main Configuration page,

"Externally registered device: Thermostat 1 (Insteon Address 34.52.DE) registered through external plugin"

...but 34.52.DE is nowhere to be found in the Insteon device list. Is this by design or something? Cuz, that's gonna be a problem. I want to be able to link the thermostat to a duct fan, turning it on and off. I don't want to have to use the hardware method, because the duct fan is in an attic - and so is it's ApplianceLinc. The attic is only accessible thru a plain scuttle, no ladder. Just too much of a hassle.

So I'd like to know if there is another method of linking the thermostat as controller to an ApplianceLinc as responder.

Jim Speiser
    30-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

You are correct, the Insteon Thermostat plugin registers devices with Mark's plugin. These are external devices that Mark's plugin does not directly control or program. It becomes the communications agent between the plugin and the Insteon network. That said, the only Insteon linking support in the plugin is to create the reporting links back to report on temp/set points etc.

The manual for the 2441th pages 17-21 covers how to setup the thermostat as a controller or responder via the tradition button presses method but sounds like that's not a viable option given the ApplianceLinc location. Adding doc link here as FYI only.
    http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2732-xx2-en.pdf

Alternately, you may consider using HS3 events to accomplish the same thing. I am working on an update to add Insteon Thermostat plugin "Special Triggers" for use in HS3 events. I have a whole house attic fan that I'd like activate as well from an Insteon on/off switch. I found HS3 events don't have a simple "when device changes and increases" trigger (without knowing in advance the values) so I'm adding temp, external temp and humidity triggers to the plugin. I'm also working on adding conditions so I can add to the event the check is TEMP > Cool Set Point so I know that my A/C is calling for cooling. At that point I want to kick in the attic fan for a short while to pull hot air out of upstairs and cool A/C air from basement up. This already works well manually but my kids are getting tired of simulating my future plans when I ask them to turn it on/off... so, I need a few ingredients for an HS3 event:
    Code:

When thermostat temp increases
     ANDIF the temp device is > cool setpoint 
     ANDIF window X is open (using my security system devices for that)
     THEN 
     remove delayed device actions for attic fan
     set attic fan on after waiting 10 minutes (delay so AC gets some cool in)
     set attic fan off after waiting 15 minutes (net result is 5 min attic fan runtime)
    I was waiting to post about these new triggers/conditions until I had them fully working but sounds like you have about the same use case as I do. Right now I have the triggers working. I'm having a slight issue with conditions so haven't release this just yet. My day job is busy Mon-Thur this week so likely back at this Fri/Sat. I also used to have my plugins in the beta section of the updater but they're not there currently. I emailed Rich asking about that. If I can get this back in the beta section I'll release a beta version earlier.

Nathan
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Well, now you got me wondering, I don't anything that complex, just link them and that's it, maybe I can do this through scripting....

Now all I gotta do is learn scripting!

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

That's true. This can all be accomplished with scripting. I've been told to use a 2nd virtual device to store the "previous" temp and use it to compare to see when the temp increases. I prefer to use the triggers that I'm planning for the increases part.

You can also use Spud's EasyTrigger plugin ($29.99) to compare two device values after a trigger. I've played with that and it works but since I own the Insteon Thermostat plugin and am coding the triggers I decided to add the conditions too.

In the end, I think I'm trying to add to the Insteon Thermostat plugin the features you need to accomplish this without having to do scripting or buy other plugins. It's always good (and fun) to have those options though
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

Do you contemplate having these improvements available before my trial runs out?

Jim Speiser
          Still don't know squat

Comment

I'm not sure how many days you have left on the trial? My plan is to have this released by this weekend. HS3 is also changing how we submit plugins to the updater so I'm working through an issue with that as well.

Nathan
            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Originally posted by nfrobertson View Post
              I'm not sure how many days you have left on the trial? My plan is to have this released by this weekend. HS3 is also changing how we submit plugins to the updater so I'm working through an issue with that as well.

Nathan
              I just started the trial last week, so that would be eminently satisfactory. Thanks.

Jim Speiser
              Still don't know squat

Comment

Check the very bottom of the Beta updater for the new version I just pushed 3.0.7.1. There are a couple quirks with this new plugin delivery process HST is switching us to (probably just me learning the new way) but I was able to install this to my main HS3 system from the beta updater so think it should work ok for you. I had to disable my current Insteon Thermostat plugin then install the beta 3.0.7.1 update version. Usually in the past I haven't had to disable the current plugin first but FYI in case you need to also.

This new 3.0.7.1 includes the trigger for temp / external temp / humidity changes. It also includes a condition to compare either temp or external temp to the cool / heat setpoints. I use this in an event to detect that (trigger) the temp increased and (condition) is now greater than my cool setpoint (by +2 or +3 degrees) so I can now go kick off my attic fan for a few minutes to exhaust the hot air up and out of the house and pull the cool basement air up.

Hope this works for what you're looking to do also.

Nathan
                HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Check the very bottom of the Beta updater for the new version I just pushed 3.0.7.1. There are a couple quirks with this new plugin delivery process HST is switching us to (probably just me learning the new way) but I was able to install this to my main HS3 system from the beta updater so think it should work ok for you. I had to disable my current Insteon Thermostat plugin then install the beta 3.0.7.1 update version. Usually in the past I haven't had to disable the current plugin first but FYI in case you need to also.

This new 3.0.7.1 includes the trigger for temp / external temp / humidity changes. It also includes a condition to compare either temp or external temp to the cool / heat setpoints. I use this in an event to detect that (trigger) the temp increased and (condition) is now greater than my cool setpoint (by +2 or +3 degrees) so I can now go kick off my attic fan for a few minutes to exhaust the hot air up and out of the house and pull the cool basement air up.

Hope this works for what you're looking to do also.

Nathan
                  We shall soon find out. Thank you.

Jim Speiser
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

Error in Startup

We are still in the testing phase, but I thought I should let you know, I'm getting a new error on startup:

Compiling script Startup.vb: Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'System.Core' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases.

Is this you, by chance?

==JJS==

Jim Speiser
                    Still don't know squat

Comment

Startup.vb is a HomeSeer startup script for the whole system. You can find it in your HS3\scripts directory. The Insteon Thermostat plugin doesn't do anything with this. I just went and double checked my main system where I used the beta updater to install Insteon Thermostat plugin 3.0.7.1 and the Startup.vb there looks to me like it should (small and nothing related to 3rd party plugins) and I don't get any errors when restarting HS3 nor the Insteon Thermostat plugin.

Do you have any other plugins or scripts that might have modified Startup.vb for some reason?

I did a google for "HomeSeer Startup.vb" and found this thread with one of jon00's plugins where a user was modifying Startup.vb and got it wrong leading to the error you saw.

https://forums.homeseer.com/printthr...&pp=20&page=67
                      HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

I have not touched startup.vb but thank you.

Jim Speiser
                        Still don't know squat

Comment

Were you able to work through the error message you saw with Startup.vb ?
                          HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Were you able to work through the error message you saw with Startup.vb ?
                            Not completely, but I don't think it's you.

I have not had any luck with your plug-in, either, specifically the event to turn on/off the duct fan. It simply does not trigger.

Pls see attached png to ensure that I'm doing it properly.

Thanks.
                            Attached Files

Jim Speiser
                            Still don't know squat

Comment

Those events seem correct. Do you have debug logging turned on? If you do, in the log you should see the changes in the temp device come in. What I like to do is open the log in a new window and have it side by side with the home screen so I can see the device values and see the log change as the messages come in from the thermostat. You might start by testing just the trigger portion like:
                              Code:
                              If temp increases then speak "temp went up"
                              If temp decreases then speak "temp went down"
                              I assume you'll get those to work. Next you can test the condition portion. Again, I think what you have is correct.

I will push an updated 3.0.7.1 to the beta updater that will bring back a log statement in that condition section so you can get all the details on what it compared. Working on this now...

Nathan
                              HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
                              X