Polling vs. Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polling vs. Refresh

It's appearing that changes made on the thermostat aren't always (or at all, still testing various permutations) reflected automatically in the Devices HS4 web interface, the HS mobile app, or HSBuddy (which I'm also checking out). When I try Polling and/or Refreshing then that seems to get what's on the thermostat showing in HomeSeer, but curious if Polling and Refreshing serve the same purpose, or is one preferable for getting HS updated with the most recent info from the thermostat?

>>if Polling and Refreshing serve the same purpose, or is one preferable for getting HS updated with the most recent info from the thermostat?
    I'm not clear on what you mean by "Refreshing" -- there IS a "Polling" button on the thermostat's HS4 group which sends "request-for-status" messages to the MNS Insteon plugin. There is also the auto-refresh setting on the Insteon Thermostat config page that does the same thing every X seconds -- is this what you mean?

By the way, the thermostat only responds to a "what's the set point" and "set the set point" messages with the set point for the current mode; it is easy to get these out of sync when testing (for example, if, at the physical device, you switch the mode to heat and set the setpoint to 60, then switch to cool and set it to 80 -- and leave the thermostat set to cool, the HS4 Devices page will show the mode as Cool and the cooling set point as 80 -- the heating setup will not update -- until you switch the mode to Heat).

In any case, you should be getting an automatic poll every X seconds based on the auto-refresh setting on the config page; if not, please let me know. thx!

Comment

I do see the Auto-Refresh field (defaulted to be set to 20 seconds) in the Control Page part of the General tab of the thermostat plugin Config page.

The "Refreshing" functions I was referring to appear to only be available in the mobile apps (I've actually wondered if there was something similar to that in the web interface for any devices - thermostat or otherwise).

In the HS mobile app it's the circular arrow icon in the upper right that when clicked brings up the Refresh Now box

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS Mobile App Refresh.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1545216

In the HSBuddy mobile app it's done by pulling down in the middle of the screen.

'Click image for larger version

Name:	HSBuddy Mobile App Refresh.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1545217

Of course both mobile apps show the Polling button, but since Refresh is an option as well I was curious if they perform essentially the same function.

Comment

Ah -- I had not noticed that in the mobile app -- will investigate

Comment

Please note the attached log file entries when Polling to synchronize readings. Setting temperatures appears to be working, but you cannot see actual cooling status (i.e. is the AC cycle is on or off ?)
          Attached Files

Comment

As you've probably already figured out, the "thermostat heating" and "thermostat cooling" messages are getting the heat and cool setpoints, not the current heating or cooling status of the HVAC system...

Comment

Hi John, apologies for my ignorance. This is the first time I am in any forums and am not technically proficient in these matters! Insteon (and iHome) forced me to try and recover from all my time invested over the years. I do understand the setpoint readings are accurate. The "refresh" button does not work on my iPhone...perhaps because this is all still a trial version ? I have the refresh rate set for 5 seconds. on my desktop, but still need to "Poll" manually for the room temperature actual readings to be accurate (within 1 degree). How do I know when the AC is actually cooling when outside the home ? Why am I getting "Plugin reports Device not found" responses for both thermostats ?

Comment

So I'm learning that patience is a virtue.....clicking Polling in the Thermostat device in the HS4 web interface will provide an update to the Mode, Temperature, Humidity, and the Heating and/or Cooling numbers (which you've made clear will depend on how the Mode is set at the time).....but it might take several seconds for each of those updates to complete and be displayed.

Is there a way though to have all of this auto-update periodically? Or is it necessary to click Polling after there's been a change in order to have the latest settings and numbers display in the device in HS4 (or the mobile app)?. In the plugin Settings screen General tab under Control Page I have Auto-Refresh set for 20 seconds, but I'm not sure what is auto-refreshed by this setting?

I'm guessing that having multiple thermostats continuously sending updates to HS4 and the plugin would probably generate an awful lot of background data traffic, so that might be why we need to get updated info by polling manually rather than having it continuously refreshing?

Comment

I think it should be auto-updating (polling) every 20 seconds -- which should be more than enough for a thermostat. I'm looking into it and will get back to you.

Comment

Still need to "Poll" manually for the room temperature actual readings to be accurate (within 1 degree). How do I know when the AC is actually cooling on the Devices window ? Why am I getting "Plugin reports Device not found" responses for both thermostats ?
                    I am nevertheless DELIGHTED to be able to control my 30+ Insteon devices after Insteon abandoned all of it users !!

Comment

These appear in the Log file also...

5/18/2022 5:49:49 PM
                      Legacy-Plugin
                      Insteon Thermostat Error
                      - Unexpected device type requested for polling.

Comment

There is something wrong with capturing the commands the tstat is sending back to homeseer -- I'm looking into it. Meanwhile, please export a copy of your log and paste it into a post -- thx

Comment

Here it is...Thank you !
                          Attached Files

Comment

LBB55, did you get this working? If not, do the following
                            1) update to latest beta version of the plugin: disable current plugin, add plugin 3.0.8.5, re-enable plugin
                            2) go to plugin Config page
                            a) On the General tab, check all the "Log..." checkboxes -- DO NOT forget to Save
                            b) On the thermostat tab, find your thermostat and click "Update Links" on the right. Wait until the message near the top of the page clears before continuing
                            3) test -- go to the HS Devices page and note the cool or heat setpoint (whichever mode your thermostat is in), go to the thermostat and change the setpoint, return to HS Devices and verify the setpoint is changed.
                            IF the test works in Windows-based HomeSeer, you can then try it on the mobile app -- it should work there also. NOTE: I'm still working on Alexa control

If the test does not work, export your log file (HomeSeer -> Tools -> Logs) and post it here.

good luck!

Comment

Sorry to report still not working reliably and readings (temp & humidity) are off. Also, need to manually poll to get "the latest." Attached is the Log file. I purchased your Plugin a few days ago
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X