Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thermostat protocol

Perhaps John can help me...

In my attempts to talk to an Insteon thermostat via a 2413U USB modem, following the modem developer's guide, the developer's guide and the thermostat developer notes documents, I am successfully reading the thermostat operating state (temp, setpoint, mode, fan, database, etc), however, any attempt to change a parameter (setpoint, fan, etc) returns a NAK to my direct message. The thermostat dev notes say that this may occur if the sender is not in the I2CS device's database (no mention of I2CS in any other document I have), so I queried the thermostat to see if the modem's address is in its database and it is. Do you have any suggestions as to what I may be missing?

--tnx
    --tom

Hey Tom -- wow; you're really getting into the nuts and bolts -- very cool! I think the NAK is expected but I'm pretty murky on this -- as you might know, I inherited the insteon thermostat plug-in code a few months ago and spent just enough effort to get it to work with Mark's HS4 plugin. In any case, reply to this with an email address and I'll be happy to share the code that receives and interprets the messages. John

Comment

Thanks John. When they shut the servers down, I fortunately already had purchased a modem which had been sitting on a shelf. I had always been disappointed in the insteon software as it doesn't turn off lights which sometimes randomly turn on (as well as some other lesser "problems"). Being an experienced programmer, I went to work. You can reach me at tuban96 at gmail dot com.

Comment

Hey Tom -- just sent a mail from me with a zip file. Let me know if you do not receive. john

Comment

Hi John, it didn't come though - maybe because of gmail. Please try again with uban at ubanproductions dot com.
          Best,
          --tom

Comment

done

Comment

LOL, just received the one you sent to gmail - go figure. Thank you!

Comment

Hi John,
                I am not familiar with a .zipx123 file, so assuming you added x123 to confuse email system or some such. Unfortunately, unzip does not work with this file:

$ unzip plugin.zip
                Archive: plugin.zip
                skipping: plugin.vb need PK compat. v6.3 (can do v4.5)
                skipping: Insteon.vb need PK compat. v6.3 (can do v4.5)

Suggestions?

--tnx
                --tom

Comment

It's a winzip file -- correct extension is .zipx (so remove the "123")

I can rebuild if you can't open.

John

Comment

Ok, I had not used winzip in a very long time, but was able to extract the contents. Visual Basic, going to take me a while to figure out what is going on

Comment

Happy to help; please use the return email from my message or skype. john

Comment

Working...
                      X