No announcement yet.

Temp + & - don't seem to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, again, when I use insteon to trigger the set point change as I did before, I am getting about 50% of the steps.

Meaning I set the thermostat to 77, hit the up button to trigger the event that then steps up the set point 10 times, with about 5 seconds between each press. I end up with 82 on the WDU, not 87 as it should be.

An interesting note, the device screen reported 86, and the WDU reported 82.
    One down press on the WDU took it to 81, and then the device screen updated correctly, to say 81 also.

Maybe the device screen should not be manually updated, as this can cause the mix-match of values we are seeing? Maybe it should just poll from the thermostat when ever it needs to be refreshed?

I believe the extra insteon traffic is causing the problem.

I am going to try to figure out the script approach, but I have very little skills writing scripts for HS2, much less HS3.

Comment

Ok, I just read your 2nd post while I was composing this post. Before I get into the longer description of your test below, it sounds like we think you have a better working system possibly due to upgrading Mark's Insteon plugin for HS3 ? I agree that all the Insteon traffic of all the +1 isn't helping you arrive at the desired result.

Let's talk about what you want to ultimately see happen, your real "use case" here. Are you really trying to achieve a +10 cool setpoint increase from one event firing or is the +10 just testing communications? You should be able to achieve a single +1 reliably and I thought that was the original goal. However, if the goal is really something larger than +1 and you currently don't have a way to do that other than sending multiple +1 then maybe I can help you figure out a solution?

Longer description on the "step back"

I'm glad you can produce these results as they do make sense to me. The "step back" is due to the thermostat reporting it's status back to the plugin in an Insteon ACK message. It's basically saying (ACK'ing) that it got your message(s) and here's the current thermostat cool setpoint value right now, at that moment in time. I know this by this line in the debug which comes from the Insteon receive logic:

Code:
      3/30/2014 1:36:43 PM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ INFO ~ Upstairs Cool SetPoint = 80
      I don't know the exact timing the thermostat firmware uses but basically once you send the "set cool setpoint to value x" [6C] [9C] for example, then it waits a few seconds and sends an ACK back with the current cool setpoint value. If you are repeatedly sending more "set cool setpoint to value x", like this test is doing, then it seems to gather several together and after a several seconds ACKs back what it determined the value to finally be at that moment. Since this is continuing over 25 seconds, with multiple rapid +1 adjustments, I'm not surprised to see that "step back" happen.

So, in general use, someone might push the + button 2 or 3 times in quick succession and the thermostat will ACK back the expected final result.
      Last edited by nfrobertson; March 30th, 2014, 05:13 PM. Reason: typo
      HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
      Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
      Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
      Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
      http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

For example, I tried to have HS3 do something like this:
        IF master bedroom controller button 8 temp up changes and becomes on
        and IF upstairs thermostat is in cool mode
        THEN increment the upstairs cool set point up one degree.

I could build 4 events like this,(plus another 4 events for the downstairs unit) but no matter how I configured it, I was not able to get HS3 to respect the second IF command?
        I went back through your posts and found where you describe your original test. I then created my own test event now based on a real Insteon switch and a test for the thermostat mode. I think this looks close to what you were trying to do?

With my T1700 in AUTO mode, I turned the switch on. You can see that in the log. No HS3 event fired and that's correct. I turned the switch back off. I then pushed the mode button four times on the T1700 going from Auto to Prog to Off to Heat to Cool. The log noted that the thermostat sent me an Insteon message for the switch to Prog and then again with the final setting of Cool. I then turned the switch on again. This time HS3 fired the event as it met the device On and the thermostat mode is Cool test. The plug-in sent the [6C] command and I can confirm my T1700 did increase the cool setpoint 1 degree. I believe this is what you were trying to achieve?

Below is the log, read from bottom up:

Mar-30 4:09:39 PM Insteon Received 03.0A.62:1 (Insteon Test Switch) Go OFF
        Mar-30 4:09:39 PM Insteon Received message from Insteon Test Switch (03.0A.62) taking hops: 1
        Mar-30 4:07:32 PM Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [T1700] [1F] [6C] [A4] ((([00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [00] [F0])))
        Mar-30 4:07:32 PM Insteon Thermostat SetCoolSetpoint: T1700 Cool SetPoint = 82
        Mar-30 4:07:32 PM Device Control Device: Thermostats Insteon T1700 Cool to + (251)
        Mar-30 4:07:32 PM Event Event Trigger "TSTAT HS events test actions"
        Mar-30 4:07:32 PM Insteon Received 03.0A.62:1 (Insteon Test Switch) Go ON
        Mar-30 4:07:32 PM Insteon Received message from Insteon Test Switch (03.0A.62) taking hops: 1
        Mar-30 4:06:53 PM Insteon Thermostat T1700 [02] Mode=Cool Fan=Auto
        Mar-30 4:06:48 PM Insteon Thermostat T1700 [04] Mode=Program Fan=Auto
        Mar-30 4:06:36 PM Insteon Received 03.0A.62:1 (Insteon Test Switch) Go OFF
        Mar-30 4:06:36 PM Insteon Received message from Insteon Test Switch (03.0A.62) taking hops: 1
        Mar-30 4:06:08 PM Insteon Received 03.0A.62:1 (Insteon Test Switch) Go ON
        Mar-30 4:06:08 PM Insteon Received message from Insteon Test Switch (03.0A.62) taking hops: 1
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

I really don't think the upgrade on the insteon plugin has improved anything, as I have always been able to increment the set point via the "DEVICES" screen, and it would update correctly on the WDU.

The manually triggered event, is pretty much the same as manually pressing the "+" button on the devices screen, and it pretty much works the same netting the same results.

I agree, it is highly unlikely I will want to press the button 10 times in a row. This was done during testing, but not likely in normal practice.

The feature I am trying to achieve is a simple 1 step either up or down, via the headboard keypad link. Your lying in bed, it's a little warm, you look at the keypad link and press the temp down button, it lights up, then in a second or two, it turns back off. You didn't hear the AC kick on yet, so another press on the down button, again the lights goes back off, but you then hear the AC system kick on, you think "AAAHHH, the joys of home automation", and then you go back to sleep! This has a huge WAF!

We have proven the signals are getting lost in the insteon traffic that this event is creating. Originally, I was asking it to +1 both the heat and cool set points, but have since removed that extra step, reducing the insteon traffic to the thermostat.

It does appear, I should delay the turning off the keypad button light, a few seconds to allow the thermostat to communicate with HS3. That is as simple as adding a wait 5 seconds command. I will implement this, and hope for the best.

My only other automation need with the thermostat is in the mornings, after both my wife and I have left for work, there is no need to have the upstairs AC running. I will want to add 5 steps up from where ever it is currently set at, after we leave for work, and then 5 steps back down about 30 minutes prior to us getting home. Trying to save on some power here.

I can do this very slowly with HS3, with multiple wait commands. But the more I use the +- set point commands, the more likely it will miss a step here or there. Is there a better way I can do this?

Comment

The WAF factor is critical!

A one step up or down is achievable with the current implementation assuming the thermostat is in a compatible mode. I assume that's maybe some of the problem we've run into here.

Up to now you've been using standard HS3 "Control a Device" actions. There are also special Actions provided by the Insteon Thermostat plugin. Scroll down the actions list and find those that start with "Insteon Thermostat:" Right now the actions mirror what Tom had in his HS2 Sage plugin. They currently allow for changing the Mode, Fan, Hold/Run, and also setting a cool or heat setpoint to a specific value. Unfortunately this still doesn't help with what you're trying to do.

What I propose is adding a new plug-in specific action that can do a temp up/down and provide the increment, defaulting to 1. So, when you push your keypadlinc, you get a single action that works in heat/cool/auto modes and increments/decrements the setpoints by a value. I'd suggest 2 for your described use.

I think that type of action could work for your other case. Schedule an event in the morning when you leave for work to do a TempDown by 5 and another in the afternoon for TempUp by 5.

Thoughts?
            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Yes, I think that new action you propose would be a nice addition to all the rest of the abilities of the plugin.

Only other thing that I think would be a nice change, is if instead of "Cool" & "Heat" it could say "Cool SP" & "Heat SP". I think it would read better(more clearly) what is happening when you are including the set points it in an event.

I will go experiment with the other actions you mentioned, and see what I can come up with. For now, the +- 1 set point solution along with a pause for traffic, should do the job I need.

Thanks!

Comment

I just released 3.0.0.7 which changes the plug-in specific action for "Change Heat SetPoint" and "Change Cool SetPoint" by adding an optional adjustment field. Now you can either set a specific value or a +/- change for the setpoint. I think this this will probably resolve your event need. I'd suggest you use a -2 but experimentation will show what's needed.

I also added this ability to the script API and included a couple example lines in scripts/InsteonThermostat_script_api.vb
                HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Originally posted by nfrobertson View Post
                  I just released 3.0.0.7 which changes the plug-in specific action for "Change Heat SetPoint" and "Change Cool SetPoint" by adding an optional adjustment field. Now you can either set a specific value or a +/- change for the setpoint. I think this this will probably resolve your event need. I'd suggest you use a -2 but experimentation will show what's needed.

I also added this ability to the script API and included a couple example lines in scripts/InsteonThermostat_script_api.vb
                  Been a while since I could come back to this.
                  Just wanted to let you know the new version and the new adjustments seem to work well.

Thanks for the quick update to solve my problem!

Comment

Working...
                  X