Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Insteon Thermostat not updating

hi
    as recommended by you, i connected the wireless thermostat to a 5V usb adapter.

it is working but not updating the homeseer of its status.
    now its 1pm and in homeseer it says last update 4:20 am
    the refresh is set by default to 20 sec

thanks

My initial thought is that with all the problems you experienced in the other thread with getting the wireless thermostat to setup/communicate due to its sleep mode on batteries, that the links for reporting changes back to Homeseer were not setup fully/correctly. Go to the Config page, General Tab and make sure Debug logging is turned on, SAVE if you have to change it. Then go to Config page, Thermostats tab and use the Read Links button and wait a minute then check the log to see if you have at least 5 reported links back. If not, try using the Write Links to reestablish these.

Once this is set correctly, you should be able to make changes on the thermostat itself and observe those happening in Homeseer fairly quickly.

Worst case, you could delete the Thermostat from the plugin, do a factory reset on it, then re-add it via the plugin to establish those links now that it's on external power.
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

thanks
      after i did what you suggested it worked.
      but my event are not working.

is this the right way?
      i just told it to send me a push notification if the temp have changed
      \

Comment

Your event definition seems reasonable. When the temp changes on the thermostat and that is communicated to the plugin, it sets the new value on the HomeSeer Temp device and the flag to trigger events to True. That should trigger your event to run.

Maybe you can create another event that will have HomeSeer just say "status changed" any time the Temp has it's value changed (not a range, just any time the value changes). If you can prove that's working then you can venture a little further into the ranges like you are trying to do? For the longest time I had problems with the "Time is Nighttime" condition but it seems to be working on the later versions of HS3. I don't know if you might be experiencing something similar?
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

hi
          i just removed the thermostat and readded.
          each time it will update for around 24 hours and loose communication
          i get these errors:

01/07/2014 19:38:02 ~!~Insteon Thermostat Error~!~InsteonRcv [01 20 4B B0 1E CB 3E 06 6E 3D] System.Exception: Unable to determine thermostat type, Insteon device category (devcat) is not set yet. at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeWiredDEVCAT(Collect ion tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeDEVCAT(Collection tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.Insteon.InsteonRcv(String InsteonData)

01/07/2014 19:40:52 ~!~Insteon~!~Interface_TrapError called from SendHex
          01/07/2014 19:45:37 ~!~Insteon Thermostat Error~!~InsteonRcv [01 20 4B B0 1E CB 3E 01 6E 3C] System.Exception: Unable to determine thermostat type, Insteon device category (devcat) is not set yet. at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeWiredDEVCAT(Collect ion tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeDEVCAT(Collection tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.Insteon.InsteonRcv(String InsteonData)
          01/07/2014 19:52:52 ~!~Insteon Thermostat Error~!~InsteonRcv [01 20 4B B0 1E CB 3E 01 6E 3B] System.Exception: Unable to determine thermostat type, Insteon device category (devcat) is not set yet. at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeWiredDEVCAT(Collect ion tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeDEVCAT(Collection tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.Insteon.InsteonRcv(String InsteonData)
          01/07/2014 20:17:56 ~!~Insteon Thermostat Error~!~InsteonRcv [01 20 4B B0 1E CB 3E 01 6E 3A] System.Exception: Unable to determine thermostat type, Insteon device category (devcat) is not set yet. at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeWiredDEVCAT(Collect ion tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeDEVCAT(Collection tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.Insteon.InsteonRcv(String InsteonData)
          01/07/2014 21:32:17 ~!~Insteon Thermostat Error~!~InsteonRcv [01 20 4B B0 1E CB 3E 01 6E 39] System.Exception: Unable to determine thermostat type, Insteon device category (devcat) is not set yet. at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeWiredDEVCAT(Collect ion tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeDEVCAT(Collection tstat) at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.Insteon.InsteonRcv(String InsteonData)
          01/07/2014 21:52:47 ~!~Insteon Thermostat Error~!~InsteonRcv [01 20 4B B0 1E CB 3E 06 6E 38] System.Exception: Unable to determine thermostat type, Insteon device category (devcat) is not set yet. at HSPI_INSTEON_THERMOSTAT.utils.isSmarthomeWiredDEVCAT(Collect ion tstat) at

Error rendering thermostat for Childrens Room - Unable to determine thermostat type, Insteon device category (devcat) is not set yet.

Comment

The DEVCAT (device category) is something that is queried from the thermostat right up front when a thermostat is added to the plugin or when the plugin restarts. I've never encountered a situation where it "lost" the DEVCAT once it was set so this will require some investigation. You can see the DEVCAT on the Config page, Thermostats tab. It's in the square brackets and I believe we determined in the last thread that yours looks like [050A,D,2]. After starting up clean, please make a note of this on the config thermostats tab. Then, after the problem occurs again, please make another note of what is then shown on the config thermostats tab.

In your list of log messages below I noticed the error from Mark's plugin. Do you have other errors from his plugin?
            Insteon~!~Interface_TrapError called from SendHex

Do you know if either of the plugins crashed/restarted? That should not happen but will help to know.

I assume you have turned debugging on if it wasn't already? Please upload your debug log file C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Logs\InsteonThermostatDebug.log
            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Hi
              i read somewhere that if the Thermostat isnt in direct line of sight with a keyswitch or something that it can trasmit through, it will give you issues.
              so i went back to batteries and put it on a shelf right across from the 8 key keyswitch and it seems to recognize it just fine.
              i will keep checking to see if the status is getting updated.

Comment

hi
                anyway i am down to the last 3 days of the trail and it is still not working ok.

as you can see the humidity does update but the temp stays the same

Comment

I will do some more research on this using my wireless thermostat connected to my production machine (not the dev machine with a PLM right next to it) and see if I have similar issues.

In the meantime, if you switch back to external power, you could create a HS3 event that polls the wireless thermostat as often as you'd like. I tested that and it does work.
                  HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Cool.
                    What is the event I need to select to initiate a pool status command?

Comment

Below is what I setup to run this morning as a test and seems to work. I also tried another re-occurring event to run once at X past the top of the hour but it didn't seem to fire. This run X minutes seems to so set to whatever you like. This should get your plugin polling the wireless thermostat assuming you have the thermostat on external power. If it's only on batteries it will ignore the poll requests. I'll continue to research.

HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

I was having a somewhat similar issue with my wireless thermostat. I figure it was due to switching it between different machines and PLMs (dev vs prod machine/PLM). Not sure if the links were in a bad state or what but here's what I did.

1) Removed thermostat from plugin via config/thermostats/Delete button. SAVE.
                        2) Factory reset wireless thermostat - unplugged the external power, waited 10 seconds, held SET button while plugging it back in. Continued to hold SET and it beeped for about 10 seconds straight, then I released the SET button
                        3) Added thermostat back to plugin via config/thermostats page. Waited for the config/thermostats page to show the firmware and devcat before moving on: [050A,D,2]
                        4) Used the plugin config/thermostats/Read Links button, waited for it to complete then checked the HS3 log. It didn't seem to have the links after adding it for some reason (it should, will have to research that)
                        5) Used the config/thermostats/Update Links button and when complete, did the Read Links again. This time I could see the links in the log. The links are critical to the thermostat sending updates to HS3. Without them, only polling the thermostat will work.

At this point I left it to run and report and I see that the internal temp sensor, external temp sensor and humidity have all reported several times today. This is to my production HS3 machine which is in a different room with the PLM. I'll leave this running for several days to confirm it keeps reporting.

I hope you can give this a try and get it working as expected.
                        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
                        X