Logging questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging questions

The humidity and temperature updates are always double hits (two entries for each occurrence). Is this normal?
    Also, are these updates initiated by the thermostat, or as a result of the auto refresh parameter in the config page, which is now set for 20 sec. I don't recollect if that number was the default, or a value I put in there. Seems excessive though.
    BTW, this plug-in is fantastic, doing everything I need it do do, and more. thanks.

I don't see double entries, so I would say your situation is not normal.

I believe the auto refresh parameter in the config page (default 20 seconds) sets the display refresh rate, but is independent of the thermostat message frequency; so a thermostat might report 3 humidity status changes within that 20 seconds and the display will show the current situation at that 20 second mark (last humidity status).

I've noticed as well that humidity fluctuates quite frequently, especially if you have your humidifier On and outside temperature is really cold.

Comment

I've attached a screenshot of some typical log entries. Not a big deal, but wanted to point it out.
      Attached Files

Comment

Those log entries are a response to receiving a message from the thermostat via Mark's Insteon plugin. A standard hs. call is used to log the message.

I have seen chatty humidity results coming from a 2441ZTH (wireless) with an external power supply voltage a bit high/low causing that tstat to issue frequent messages but usually these vary by at least a second or two.

Your case appears to be true duplicate messages down to the second so I'd have to suspect the version of HS3 that you are running. I am still using 96. There were various issues (config saves failing etc.) as other people upgraded to beta versions. I believe they released official 152 recently but I have not upgraded nor embarked on full testing with it yet.

Nathan
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
        Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
        http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Thanks Nathan,
          Yes, I am running HS3 3.0.0.152 'official' release
          and Mark's version 3.0.5.16. It's not a big deal with the doubles, just curious.
          I was really looking at the logs while trying to pinpoint the time of failure of my PLM. So if I understand you, any change in the therm will generate a message, meaning that a loss of those messages for a reasonable period of time would be an indicator of lost comms through the PLM.

Comment

Potentially yes. Also keep in mind the entire ecosystem of these RF based thermostats. Some people have had issues if they don't have an RF enabled device (like the new switches or an older access point) close enough to the thermostat. So, tstat via RF to Insteon network to PLM and then PLM->HS3 (Mark's Insteon plugin)->Insteon Thermostat plugin. Generally speaking I haven't seen issues in the latter path so your assumption about loss of PLM connectivity may be accurate.

Also, if the temp/humidity hasn't changed enough the thermostat may not send the update. I've seen this mostly on the temp side where it can take a 2 degree change to get the update from the thermostat. That's controlled by the specific thermostat firmware so you just need to test with yours.
            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
            Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

Originally posted by field888 View Post
              I've attached a screenshot of some typical log entries. Not a big deal, but wanted to point it out.
              I appreciate the logged humidity levels, but it would also be nice to log the temperatures of the thermostats. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Comment

Those humidity logs are created as the messages come in from the thermostat itself. They are there to show what is changing and why at the point a new message is received from the thermostat. The temps are also logged but only as often as they change and are sent by the thermostat. The humidity and temp values are separate messages coming in from the thermostat thus the separate logging.
                HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Thanks. As it turned out, my temp value was set as "Do not log commands from this device" so once I changed that, I started getting temps in the logs.

I will note, however, that both of my insteon thermostats may show a different temp on the display than Homeseer. It is as if Homeseer does not capture the changes. For example, the last update on the temp was last night at 11 pm. I am quite sure the temperature has changed since then. HS2 did not have this problem.

Is there any way to poll the thermostat to get the correct temperature? I could do this with my X-10 thermostat.

Comment

Thermostat reporting (temp, humidity etc.) is a push model from the thermostat to the Insteon interface. The temp reported to HS3 is completely dependent on the thermostat firmware. I've noticed that it's quite common for it not to send updates unless they change by more than 1 degree. This can vary by thermostat hardware and firmware revisions.

Yes, there is an Insteon Thermostat action to Poll the thermostat. You can tie it to an event to get regular polling if you want.

Nathan
                    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

I use the poll before any action so I know I'm working on the latest readings!

Comment

Fixed in HS3.0.0.191

To answer field888's original question. I've been working with Mark Sandler and he with HST. Looks like HS3.0.0.191 or later should fix the "double hit" logging.

I encountered this myself on my PROD (but not DEV) system. On my PROD system I also run EZFlora which registers as another external device to Mark's Insteon plugin. It seems there was something in HS3 that would cause duplicate messages to be sent by HS3 from Mark's to the other plugins registered with his. I've just done prelim testing on HS3.0.0.191 and it appears to be fixed.

Nathan
                        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Different logging question than this original post but, are there any plans to control the logging level in the plugin? I get tons of entries with three Tstats and a Humidity sensor changing values continuously throughout the day. Debug is there, but maybe an Info setting to get all of these messages or an Error setting to get only errors.

Comment

Originally posted by automateme View Post
                            Different logging question than this original post but, are there any plans to control the logging level in the plugin? I get tons of entries with three Tstats and a Humidity sensor changing values continuously throughout the day. Debug is there, but maybe an Info setting to get all of these messages or an Error setting to get only errors.

Sure. I hadn't been asked that yet but there's no reason I couldn't put in another INFO checkbox on the config page to turn off that level as well. I'll see what I can work up here soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nathan
                            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Originally posted by nfrobertson View Post
                              Sure. I hadn't been asked that yet but there's no reason I couldn't put in another INFO checkbox on the config page to turn off that level as well. I'll see what I can work up here soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nathan
                              Thanks Nathan. The plugin is working great. Let me know if you want me to test anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X