No announcement yet.

Log and Error Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far using HS3 3.0.0.181 and Mark's latest plugin, the only devcat issue I saw was while I had multiple IE windows open. One on the thermostat status page (rendering every 20 secs) and one on the Config page. While I was adding a second thermostat, the status page refreshed and gave me the devcat not set yet warning for the new one I was adding which was an accurate statement since I hadn't completed the entire Insteon address and clicked Register yet which is when devcat is set when adding new thermostats.

I don't believe this matches Charlie's experience where he has "2 ton" and "4 ton" working and all the sudden devcat seems to go out to lunch. I will be running my test system 24/7 with three connected thermostat's to try and reproduce the issue.

I will also post a DEV compile of the pending 3.0.2.0 against the latest HS3 3.0.0.181 to see if that has any bearing on this. Do you both feel comfortable if I post the zip you can extract the EXE and drop it into your HS3 dir and restart the plugin? Do you think you'll update to 181 so we're all testing against the same version?

Nathan
    Last edited by nfrobertson; June 6, 2015, 08:54 AM.
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Sure I would be willing to update HS and try ur updated plugin

Just post here and I'll try it within 24 hrs.
      HSPro: 3.0.0.194
      PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
      HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Here's v3.0.2.0. I am not putting it out for the updater as this is primarly a debugging release with some additional output to try and diagnose the DEVCAT issue. First disable the existing plugin via Manage Plugins. You should then be able to extract the exe file from this zip and drop into your HS3 directory on top of the existing one. I advise you to back up your existing exe as well as your Config\hspi_insteon_thermostat.ini Finally reenable the plugin. I assume maybe you know but anti-virus software may take a couple minutes to recognize and act on the new exe. I have Norton and every time I release a new version the Norton Insight wants to block it so I have to patiently wait a couple minutes and tell it that it's ok to run.

http://www.kazteel.com/HomeSeer3/Ins...AT_3_0_2_0.zip

This has been compiled against HS3 3.0.0.181 and my testing was with Mark's latest Insteon plugin.

The first change you'll find is that on the config page, there is a checkbox option to "Dump Raw Insteon" which means to DEBUG dump to the log the Insteon messages from Mark's plugin before any processing is done on it. This may or may not be useful. Be sure both Dump Raw Insteon and Debug logging are checked.

The second update is a feature to DEBUG dump the VB collection of information the plugin knows about the thermostats at 2 distinct points. First is when you navigate to the Web Status page (Plugins->InsteonThermostat->Status), look in the log for a large message showing all the data the plugin is keeping. This is not the PED (plugin extra data) that is stored attached to individual HS3 devices. It is the VB collection of data this plugin keeps itself. When you first navigate to the web status page, as it iterates over each thermostat it will dump this data then try to create the status page tab. As the web status page updates, this data will no repeat. However, you can get a new dump of data by navigating away from the web status page and then back to it which causes a full page rebuild and a new fresh data dump.

Finally, that same data dump will happen when the plugin goes looking for DEVCAT information and for whatever reason can't find the DEVCAT as an item in the info collection for the thermostat. It will again dump the entire set of expected data so we can have a look. This may be the most interesting info.

I have observed the WSPBP/DEVCAT warning when I leave a browser on the web status page and stop/start the plugin. So far in every case it has eventually recovered itself after the handshake with all three of my thermostats and the warning stops. I will leave my test system running 24/7 and see if I can recreate an example of losing the DEVCAT while running (making no changes on config page nor stop/start the plugin)

Nathan
        Last edited by nfrobertson; June 6, 2015, 12:35 PM. Reason: note about antivirus like norton
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

OK, so got everything backed up and your new exe running. Did as u said and when I reenabled the plugin, it only seen the 2 ton.

Restarted HS and both tstats appeared as well your dump log messages.

I'll monitor the log for when one falls out die to devcat error.

Should I post logs here or email u?

Again thanks for the support.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
          PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
          HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

You can post the HS3\Logs\InsteonThermostatDebug.log here in the forum as a file attach.

Not sure why after plugin restart it only saw the 2 ton but after a full HS3 restart it correctly saw both.

Something you might try at some point, on the PLUGINS->Manage page is a checkbox for "Developer Mode" This will cause a console to show for every plugin started. You can disable/enable just the Insteon Thermostat plugin and you'll get a console box. It's the same info that shows in the log but I find seeing it in a console box very useful on startup to see that all is working as I develop/debug. Make sure when you disable/enable the plugin, you watch to make sure the old plugin EXE has exited before you re-enable. I use Microsoft Process Explorer to watch all the binaries to make sure I don't get more than one running by accident. Shouldn't happen but worth making sure.

Be sure to turn "Developer Mode" back off or next time you restart HS3 every plugin will show a console box which gets to be a bit much.
            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

I forgot to update my Sig or mention I'm running HS .181 now.

Since the latest install of your .exe and the HS update, I haven't seen a tstat fall out. Now I haven't gone through all the logs tooth and nail and using the filter in the HS log I only seen an error where the 4 ton was in "Auto" and wouldn't allow your plugin to change settings.

Trying to make it easy, is there an event I can create to monitor if one falls out? I looked under Insteon Thermostat "Triggers" but don't see anything. Or would a devcat error show in the Insteon Thermostat Errors?

Thanks again for your efforts in fixing this.

Charlie.

Comment

I too haven't seen any issues. I continue to run my dev system 24/7 with 3 thermostats connected.

Right now this isn't logged as an error and there is no event or other special mechanism to alert you that it has happened beyond the messages you would still see in the log about "devcat is not set yet"

I suggest we continue to run this for the week and see if we can get a reoccurrence. If not, I can release this version to the updater and chalk it up to needing a recompile due to some change in HS3 somewhere along the way.

Nathan
                HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

So since the last Plugin and HS update, i have only seen 1 Devcat error in the log. Cool thing with the new log is its ability to filter through the Types of errors and I find the Devcat error in the "Insteon Thrmostat Error" category.

Heres what I see
                  HTML Code:
                  Jun-10 8:18:41 PM	 	Insteon Thermostat Error	SetMode: Unable to determine thermostat type, Insteon device category (devcat) is not set yet.
                  Jun-07 9:00:14 AM	 	Insteon Thermostat Error	4 Ton Unexpected HVAC mode Auto when switching HVAC to Off Can't adjust HEAT/COOL timers if mode is not HEAT/COOL.
                  Attached Files

Comment

See my attached log. It appears the 6/10 error may be a case where the "2 ton" stopped responding almost immediately after a startup. The plugin did receive the protocol reply but no the devcat or firmware response. It's interesting the log went quiet for almost an hour and then at 8:18 something triggered the check for devcat which was still missing since startup.

I see you restarted the plugin the next day and this time everything responded as expected.

I'm not sure what to tell you about this. The "2 ton" did respond to at least one query, the protocol, but nothing else came in after that. I need to think a bit about how to proceed with this. It's cumbersome to restart the entire plugin just to address a communication failure. The question is, is the communication failure in the Insteon network where a re-issue of the startup polling might succeed if done a second time? Or is there something in Mark's plugin or the PLM having an issue? I supposed putting a control on the config page may be the right next step to let you attempt to reissue the startup polling and see if you can get it to fix itself? If so, we might be able to automate the failure detection and repoll, maybe.

Nathan
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by nfrobertson; June 12, 2015, 06:26 AM.
                    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

It would also be interesting to check the Config page. Does it give you the options to read/update links? If so this implies this plugin did correctly register the thermostat with Mark's plugin. I noticed that Mark's plugin puts several entries in the log as it's registering devices and specifically device groups. It should show registration for EF, 1, 2, 3 and 4. I assume those are all there but would be good to double check around the time of the 6/10 devcat failure to see if maybe somehow the 2 ton didn't register correctly with Mark's plugin?
                      HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Charlie,

http://www.kazteel.com/HomeSeer3/Ins...AT_3_0_2_0.zip

Pull down a new copy of 3.0.2.0. I've added a couple improvements. If the DEVCAT is missing when a thermostat poll operation is done, it will pause and reissue the request for protocol, devcat/firmware. This worked well with my test where I forcibly deleted the devcat and it went back and pulled it then continue on with the polling.

You can exercise a thermostat Poll in several ways. An Event can poll one or all thermostats. The Home page has a poll button so if your thermostat devices are visible you can push the poll button. I also added on the Config page, thermostat tab a new Poll button which forces a re-query of protocol, devcat/firmware (which triggers a full thermostat polling after as well)

I think one of these will get you back running if the devcat is lost after plugin startup. My best guess is it's happening like what we saw with that log you posted where after a new plugin start, the broadcast reply with devcat/firmware is somehow not making it back to the plugin.

Nathan
                        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Ok, so I updated and will monitor.

Thanks

Charlie

Comment

Just posted v3.0.2.1 to the updater. I commended out the extra "dump" debug statements if DEVCAT isn't set so you may want to stick with the version you've been testing here in the forum 3.0.2.0

Nathan
                            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Sure will.

Hey I got a question about HVAC mode. How you you never put a "Auto" mode and the ability to set Heat & Cool at the same time. Right now its set to one or the other.

Comment

The HVAC in this plugin is modeled after the previous HS2 Sage plugin HVAC concept. It's basically a logical set of HS3 devices with the primary value being the timers to see how log heat or cool has been called for and to keep the overall countdown maintenance timer.

The HVAC Mode should represent the active mode being called for by the thermostat. It can call for Cool or for Heat but never both at the same time. Therefore, a mode of Auto isn't meaningful to the HVAC logical devices. The thermostat can be in Auto mode and call for Cool or Heat as necessary but the HVAC reacts to what the thermostat calls for at that point in time. It's up to the user to not associate multiple thermostats to one HVAC that could actually call for conflicting operations. Ideally you only associate the controlling thermostat to the HVAC.

Hope that helps

Nathan
                                HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
                                X