Venstar T1800 w/2441V not reporting humidity after factory reset of 2441V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venstar T1800 w/2441V not reporting humidity after factory reset of 2441V

I am currently in the trial period for this Plugin. I was able to get it setup and it appeared to be working well. I am seeing an issue where it is not reporting the correct temperature or mode to HS3 - Tstat says 70, and the HS3 stays at 72 - I change the mode to Heat on the Tstat, and HS3 continues to show Auto. I can issue commands to change values on the Tstat from the plugin, and they show up right away on the Tstat. I am using the 2441V on a Venstar 1800.
    Last edited by automateme; May 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM.

This sounds like you don't have the reporting links back the HS3 setup. So, you can send commands out to the thermostat and when it first starts up it will get values from a broadcast poll however, if the status links are not setup, then no ongoing information will be sent back.

Use the web config page to read and write links. Alternately, you may want to delete and re-add the thermostat which should create the links again.
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

I just went through and deleted the Tstats from the plugin, reset them to factory settings, and added them back in through the plugin. I also enabled debug to get information into the log. Seems to be a lot of information in the log related to adding the Tstats, but I can't tell for certain if all of the correct links were added. I just tried changing the setpoint on each of the two Tstats. One worked correctly, and the other did nothing. I don't see anything in the log related to the setpoint change - error or otherwise.

Comment

I recommend you delete the one that's not working and then spend some time with the one that does appear to be working to confirm it's good. Use the web config "read links" option to see links it has to the PLM reported in the log. Give it a few hours to report temp changes as well as exercise the mode, fan, temp up/down on the connected thermostat (both from the plugin and from the thermostat itself). Once you're confident that's working and have some experience with how things behave then go back in and try adding the second one.

I assume these thermostats are in different parts of the house. Do you have other RF capable devices near both of the thermostats that help insure you have a solid Insteon network? Many people have reported that it seems necessary to have an RF/powerline device like the newer switchlinc switches within line-of-sight of each thermostat. I agree that seems a bit strict but Insteon network communications issues are often the root problem and also can be tough to diagnose.
        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
        Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

I will give that a try and report back. The one Tstat seems to be working correctly in both directions.

You are correct, the Tstats are in different floors of the house. The Tstat that is working is unobstructed 20ft away from a dual-band SwitchLinc, and there is an Access Point on the other side of the wall about 5ft away. The Tstat that is not working is 8ft away, partially obstructed by a small wall, from a dual-band SwitchLinc and unobstructed 25ft away from another.

Comment

I tried reading the links on the Tstat that was working fine, and this somehow erased my config file. I have seen this a couple of times while trying to get this working, but didn't know the cause. I'm still not certain that reading the links was the cause, but I now have a 0 byte hspi_insteon_thermostat.ini file at exactly the same timestamp as reading links in the log. I will try and go back into HS3 and reconfigure. I wonder if it is related to my version of HS3 - I am on 3.0.0.163

Comment

I had added back in the single thermostat, and the plugin was working perfectly for 5 days. It was reporting temperature changes as well as mode and setpoint changes on the Tstat. This evening, I decided to try and add back in the second Tstat. As soon as I added the second Tstat, the config file was erased and now shows 0 bytes. What information can I provide to help troubleshoot this?

Comment

I added back in both Tstats and the one "Upstairs" Tstat continues to work perfectly. The second Tstat can be controlled, but never reports status. Here is what I see in the logs when I do a read links on both Tstats:

May-24 3:15:00 PM Insteon Thermostat North Hallway Other Thermostat Link : A2 04 0F 62 12 01 52 3E
                May-24 3:14:59 PM Insteon Thermostat North Hallway Other Thermostat Link : A2 01 08 E1 4E 03 52 3E
                May-24 3:08:40 PM Insteon Thermostat Upstairs Other Thermostat Link : A2 EF 33 E3 01 00 00 00
                May-24 3:08:39 PM Insteon Thermostat Upstairs Other Thermostat Link : E2 04 33 E3 01 00 00 00
                May-24 3:08:38 PM Insteon Thermostat Upstairs HVAC Fan Report Link PRESENT
                May-24 3:08:38 PM Insteon Thermostat Upstairs HVAC Cool Report Link PRESENT
                May-24 3:08:37 PM Insteon Thermostat Upstairs HVAC Heat Report Link PRESENT
                May-24 3:08:36 PM Insteon Thermostat Upstairs Thermostat Settings Report Link PRESENT

From the above, I can see that Report Links are not present for the 2nd Tstat. I have tried deleting and adding the Tstats multiple times with no success. Can the Report Links be added manually?

Comment

I spent some time with this over the weekend and have all 3 of my Tstats working now. I will give it a few more days to confirm that everything is okay.

Comment

Hello. Sorry for the delay in response, graduation season / family / vacation.

It sounds like you've gone from only one working (with strange failures trying to add in the second) to now getting three thermostats working correctly? Was there some magic to getting this to work for your setup?

As a side note, I am finally upgrading my DEV system from the very stable 3.0.0.96 to the latest 3.0.0.181 and almost immediately I am seeing some devcat issues that others are having. Not sure if this is related to the issues you were seeing or not?
                    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

No worries Nathan. I hope that you had a great time with the family.

Right now, all 3 of my Tstats are mostly working. My one T1800 with a 2441V has a Humidity Sensor. The sensor is reported and the value is read correctly when HS3 and the plugin starts, but it is never updated after that.

Comment

What firmware do you have on the T1800? On the config page under the thermostat's tab there should be a small bracketed set of numbers under the thermostat name. What does it say?

For example, my test system t1700 shows: t1700 [050E,93,1]
                        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Here is what I show - [0503,95,2]

Comment

BTW, if I setup an event to poll the Tstat with the Humidity sensor, it updates HS to the correct value. It's just not receiving the push to update the value.

Comment

That firmware matches my T1800 w/2441V so it's shouldn't be an issue there.

Yesterday and today while updating my DEV system and adding in my 3 DEV thermostats (t1700 w/integrated Insteon, SH2441TH, SH2441ZTH w/external power and sensor) I did have issues getting my wireless SH2441ZTH to report. To fix it, I brought up an IE window watching the HS3 log and a separate IE window to use the Config page and used the READ LINKS which showed only 3 of the 5 needed for that thermostat. I then used the UPDATE LINKS and patiently watched the log. It sends out the 5 commands to setup the link database in the thermostat to report back to my PLM. After waiting some time, I again ran the READ LINKS and this time I got back all 5 links and from that point on the reporting worked. Here's what that looked like in the Developer Mode Console output. Note that the INFO lines are what you'd see in the HS3 log. The DEBUG lines you may or may not see depending if you have Debug logging turned on.

Code:

6/6/2015 6:58:25 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ INFO ~ zth2441 Thermostat Settings Report Link PRESENT
                              6/6/2015 6:58:26 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ INFO ~ zth2441 HVAC Heat Report Link PRESENT
                              6/6/2015 6:58:26 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ INFO ~ zth2441 HVAC Cool Report Link PRESENT
                              6/6/2015 6:58:26 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ INFO ~ zth2441 HVAC Fan Report Link PRESENT
                              6/6/2015 6:58:26 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ INFO ~ zth2441 Other Thermostat Link : E2 04 23 9A FC 00 00 00
                              6/6/2015 6:58:27 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ INFO ~ zth2441 Other Thermostat Link : A2 EF 23 9A FC 00 00 00
                              6/6/2015 6:58:27 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ DEBUG ~ zth2441: LINK : E2 EF 23 9A FC 00 00 00
                              6/6/2015 6:58:27 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ DEBUG ~ zth2441: LINK : E2 01 23 9A FC 00 00 00
                              6/6/2015 6:58:27 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ DEBUG ~ zth2441: LINK : E2 02 23 9A FC 00 00 00
                              6/6/2015 6:58:27 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ DEBUG ~ zth2441: LINK : E2 03 23 9A FC 00 00 00
                              6/6/2015 6:58:27 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ DEBUG ~ zth2441: LINK : E2 04 23 9A FC 00 00 00
                              6/6/2015 6:58:27 AM ~ Insteon Thermostat ~ DEBUG ~ zth2441: LINK : A2 EF 23 9A FC 00 00 00
                              So, I'm thinking we should be able to get this working for you so polling isn't necessary but may require a try or two at the READ/UPDATE links option from the config page.

Nathan
                              HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
                              X