No announcement yet.

Errors when increasing/decreasing setpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad the update worked this time. I can see the new logging and the SQLLite errors are gone.

Can you confirm that the heat setpoint is somehow really 0 ? The heatLow is 30 per your startup log so I'm surprised at how/why it would come back with a 0. Here's a trimmed version of my log when I used the + to increase my cool setpoint andyou can see my heat setpoint is 66.

Code:
    Aug-17 8:28:33 PM           Insteon Thermostat     SetCoolSetpoint: VenstarT1800 Cool SetPoint = 79
    Aug-17 8:28:33 PM           Insteon Thermostat     SetCoolSetpoint: VenstarT1800 set cool setpoint to 79 Current cool setpoint = 78 Current heat setpoint = 66
    Aug-17 8:28:33 PM           Device Control     Device: Thermostats Insteon VenstarT1800 Cool to + (251) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Aug-17 8:24:21 PM           Insteon Thermostat     VenstarT1800 Humidity = 53
    Aug-17 8:11:07 PM           Insteon Thermostat     VenstarT1800 Temp = 73
    And here's s snip of my device home screen where you can see that heat setpoint is 66.

I wonder if you might try deleting the heat setpoint HS3 device for the thermostat you're trying to update then stop/restart the plugin so it recreates the device then try using the + / - again ?

Nathan
    Attached Files
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

My heat setpoint is not 0. Here is a snip of one of my Tstats. I won't try deleting anything until I hear back from you. I don't want to make any mistakes. I just tried to +/- the Heat Setpoint and it did not work. Here is what showed up in the HS3 log.

Aug-17 7:42:47 PM Insteon Thermostat Error SetHeatSetpoint: South Hallway Requested Heat Setpoint 1 has to be within the low(30)/high(125) bounds as configured and less than the cool setpoint 80
      Aug-17 7:42:47 PM Insteon Thermostat SetHeatSetpoint: South Hallway set heat setpoint to 1 Current heat setpoint = 0 Current cool setpoint = 80
      Aug-17 7:42:47 PM Device Control Device: Insteon Thermostats South Hallway Heat to + (251) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
      Aug-17 7:42:34 PM Insteon Thermostat South Hallway [01] Mode=Heat Fan=Auto
      Aug-17 7:42:34 PM Insteon Thermostat Error Problem attempting to set South Hallway device Mode to 1 : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      Aug-17 7:42:34 PM Insteon Thermostat sqliteCmd.CommandText=[INSERT INTO SouthHallway VALUES (1439865754,NULL,NULL,NULL,Heat,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL)]
      Aug-17 7:42:23 PM Insteon Thermostat Error SetHeatSetpoint: South Hallway Requested Heat Setpoint 1 has to be within the low(30)/high(125) bounds as configured and less than the cool setpoint 80
      Aug-17 7:42:23 PM Insteon Thermostat SetHeatSetpoint: South Hallway set heat setpoint to 1 Current heat setpoint = 0 Current cool setpoint = 80
      Aug-17 7:42:23 PM Device Control Device: Insteon Thermostats South Hallway Heat to + (251) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
      Attached Files

Comment

I just tried +/- for the heat setpoint my other Tstats, and none are working correctly. Strange values in the log as well.

Aug-17 7:49:59 PM Insteon Thermostat Error SetHeatSetpoint: North Hallway Requested Heat Setpoint -1 has to be within the low(30)/high(125) bounds as configured and less than the cool setpoint 1059590135
        Aug-17 7:49:59 PM Insteon Thermostat SetHeatSetpoint: North Hallway set heat setpoint to -1 Current heat setpoint = 0 Current cool setpoint = 1059590135
        Aug-17 7:49:59 PM Device Control Device: Insteon Thermostats North Hallway Heat to - (252) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
        Aug-17 7:49:21 PM Insteon Thermostat Error SetHeatSetpoint: Upstairs Requested Heat Setpoint 87 has to be within the low(30)/high(125) bounds as configured and less than the cool setpoint 79
        Aug-17 7:49:21 PM Insteon Thermostat SetHeatSetpoint: Upstairs set heat setpoint to 87 Current heat setpoint = 88 Current cool setpoint = 79
        Aug-17 7:49:21 PM Device Control Device: Insteon Thermostats Upstairs Heat to - (252) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
        Aug-17 7:48:24 PM Insteon Thermostat sqliteCmd.CommandText=[INSERT INTO NorthHallway VALUES (1439866105,79,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL)]
        Aug-17 7:48:24 PM Insteon Thermostat North Hallway Temp = 79

Comment

That log confirms the error situation we're seeing. Somehow when the plugin asks the HS3 device for the heat setpoint it's coming back with 0. The setpoints are created (if missing) at plugin restart and have to be within the low/high bounds. Somewhere/somehow this is getting broken. The plugin only looks for these at startup and if it finds it (by name), doesn't do any special checking - it assumes the HS3 device exists and therefore should be ok. I may have to add some additional validation in the future to look for bad/missing PED data at startup. PED data is stored in the HS3 device itself and is accessed by the plugin but survives across plugin restarts.

Try this: from the home devices page, click the name of the heat setpoint device then look for the Insteon Thermostat tab. You should see something like the image below. My guess is the 'heat' key will be missing or the value will be '0' or missing somehow.

Deleting the heat setpoint device should cause it to be recreated when you stop/restart the plugin. I recommend doing the delete and then an immediate stop/restart with debug logging turned on so you can see instead of a "Found" message you'll get a "Creating" one. Then retry these + / - tests again.

Nathan
          Attached Files
          HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
          Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

Uh oh. I deleted the Tstat heat setpoint device and restarted the plugin, and now this is what I see.

Aug-17 8:04:55 PM Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC Maintenance device for: North Hallway
            Aug-17 8:04:55 PM Insteon Thermostat Created new HVAC Heat device for: North Hallway
            Aug-17 8:04:54 PM Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC COOL device for: North Hallway
            Aug-17 8:04:54 PM Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC FAN device for: North Hallway
            Aug-17 8:04:54 PM Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC MODE device for: North Hallway
            Attached Files

Comment

Do you have an HVAC and a Thermostat both called "North Hallway" ? I didn't think so but have to ask. Please attach the full debug log so I can review. It should show "creating" the heat setpoint device.

That other capture showing the 'heat' and 'value' of 0 is where we're getting the problem. I assume that was a capture before you deleted the heat setpoint device.

I'll have to take a look at this again tomorrow. Off to put kids to bed - first day of school tomorrow.
              HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Wait, something is really screwy. That other capture shows "heatresettime" which is an HVAC PED data. That makes me think this is an HVAC heat device which is a counter for how long the heat has run on that virtual HVAC. How are we getting "North Hallway" mixed up between Thermostats and HVACs? This is strange.

Do you have a lot of events tied to these? If not, you may want to start over clean by stopping the plugin, removing all the HS3 devices related to it and letting it create new ones from the Config page after restart. Not sure if you want to do that or try and piece this together one attempt at a time?

Nathan
                HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

The capture showing the value of "0" was after deleting the device and restarting the plugin. I do have HVAC devices with the same name as the Tstat devices - in my case North Hallway, South Hallway and Upstairs. Is that not a good idea? I have individual HVAC units for each zone. The only thing that the HVAC seems to offer is Maintenance Interval, so I can probably delete them. I attached my full log.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nfrobertson View Post
                    Wait, something is really screwy. That other capture shows "heatresettime" which is an HVAC PED data. That makes me think this is an HVAC heat device which is a counter for how long the heat has run on that virtual HVAC. How are we getting "North Hallway" mixed up between Thermostats and HVACs? This is strange.

Do you have a lot of events tied to these? If not, you may want to start over clean by stopping the plugin, removing all the HS3 devices related to it and letting it create new ones from the Config page after restart. Not sure if you want to do that or try and piece this together one attempt at a time?

Nathan
                    I don't have any critical events tied to these devices yet. I will try to start over from scratch per your method above.

Comment

Okay, I stopped the plugin, deleted all of the devices and restarted the plugin. Everything is still settling in, but I see all of the correct devices re-created and populated with the correct values. I did +/- for both Cool and Heat setpoint on all 3 Tstats and it worked correctly. Also, no errors in the log. I will leave debug on and monitor things for a bit and report back. BTW, I deleted the 3 HVAC devices. Is the only additional thing that they provide the maintenance interval countdown?

Comment

Yes, the HVAC devices are simply virtual counter devices used to keep track of how long cool or heat has been running (count up timers) and how long until the maintenance interval reaches zero (count down) These were hold over from Tom's original Sage HS2 version of this plugin. I'm not sure how useful they are but saw no reason not to implement them either.

I'm assuming you set the HVAC up ok originally however, am thinking we must be running into a name conflict between HVAC and TSTAT. I have logic to prevent having two TSTAT or two HVAC having the same name. I think it maybe doesn't cross check between those however and that might lead to this issue?

I would recommend running without the HVAC virtual devices (i.e. delete them again if you have new ones) until we can be fully sure your thermostats are in running order.

Thanks for sticking with it.

Nathan
                        HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Thanks Nathan. I have removed the HVAC devices. I will monitor the Tstats over the next few days to see if any problems arise. So far, no errors at all.

Comment

I have confirmed there is a startup bug if you have thermostats and HVACs that have the same name. The easiest fix is to use the plugin config page to delete the HVAC. Then stop and restart the plugin. Finallly recreate the HVAC with a slightly different name and re-associate it to the correct thermostat.

The new version 3.0.3.2 I just posted to the updater checks both the thermostats and HVACs when you are adding new ones to prevent this name collision in the future.

I hope this helps and sorry for the frustration this bug caused.

Nathan
                            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
                            X