Fan Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Status

I have the T1800 and the 2441V combination and I'm curious... I don't ever seem to see the status of the fan as something other than the state of what I have it programmed for Auto or On... I would have expected to see it as On of Off... depending on whether or not the Fan is running or not... Am I missing something?

Greg

The Fan device shows the "operational mode" of the Fan as defined in the thermostat. To the thermostat there's only Auto and On. The Fan device in the plugin shows the setting reported by the thermostat to the plugin.

The Fan On state is for when the user has set the "FAN ON operational mode" in the thermostat. This indicates the thermostat is calling for FAN ON from your heating/cooling system regardless of any actual heating/cooling happening. May just be moving air around.

Auto means the heating/cooling system attached to the thermostat will control the fan when cool or heat is called for. This implies either an on or off state but the thermostat doesn't actually know what the heating/cooling system has done with the fan.

A way to figure out the likely state of the physical fan in your heating/cooling system is to to attach a plugin virtual HVAC device to your thermostat(s). When thermostat(s) call for cool/heat, the Mode of the virtual HVAC device will change. It won't go back to Mode=Off until all associated thermostats stop calling for cool/heat. If the plugin virtual HVAC fan is Auto and the virtual HVAC Mode is something other than Off you can imply the fan in you heating/cooling system is running. As there are many different heating/cooling systems this would need to be confirmed for each case.

The virtual HVAC devices and logic were originally defined in the HS2 Sage version plugin. The same logic was maintained through to this HS3 plugin.

I hope this helps.

Nathan
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Working...
    X