Temp Not Updating with 2441TH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Not Updating with 2441TH

I recently purchased and installed the Insteon 2441TH and setup this up to interface with this plugin which I have been using for years with my Venstar T1800 and 2441VR adapter with no issues. The new 2441TH seems to be fully setup, I am able to control the thermostat from the plugin and HS3 fine but I notice that the frequency of the temperature as reported by the thermostat is updated very infrequently, maybe 2 times a day, and is often out of sync with the actual temperature displayed on the unit.

When I poll the thermostat the temp updates correctly but I do not want to have to poll the thermostat all the time to make sure I have a reliable temp in HS, since I have a few events that run based on the indoor temp reported from this unit.

Can anyone help me here and make sure I have everything properly configured?

As a note: I see frequent updates in the log of things like setpoint changes, unit operating status changes, even frequent humidity value updates but not temp updates, which is quite frustrating.

In talking with an Insteon support person they mentioned that the device may only broadcast a temperature change IF the change was greater than 2 degrees, but he was not able to confirm 100%. Does anyone who owns this thermostat know if this is true?

Comment

Originally posted by Sinandgrin View Post
      In talking with an Insteon support person they mentioned that the device may only broadcast a temperature change IF the change was greater than 2 degrees, but he was not able to confirm 100%. Does anyone who owns this thermostat know if this is true?

Comment

Comment

Claude is correct. It's up to the firmware in the thermostat to send temp updates out and this is typically after a 2 degree change. This isn't something we can control external to the thermostat hardware/firmware. Personally I wish it sent a temp update every single time the display on the unit showed any change. The only thing you can really do is to poll the thermostat occasionally to force it to send you the update.

Nathan
          HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
          Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
          Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
          Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
          http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

May-23 19:53:12 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6A] [20]
            May-23 19:53:10 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6B] [03]
            May-23 19:53:08 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6A] [60]
            May-23 19:53:06 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6B] [02]
            May-23 19:53:06 Insteon Thermostat POLL thermostat: 2441TH
            May-23 19:53:06 Event Event Trigger "[NOT USED] CVtests Poll specific device"
            May-23 19:53:06 Event Event [NOT USED] CVtests Poll specific device triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
            May-23 19:52:04 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6A] [20]
            May-23 19:52:02 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6B] [03]
            May-23 19:52:00 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6A] [60]
            May-23 19:51:58 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6B] [02]
            May-23 19:51:58 Insteon Thermostat POLL thermostat: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:58 Event Event Trigger "[NOT USED] CVtests Poll specific device"
            May-23 19:51:58 Event Event [NOT USED] CVtests Poll specific device triggered by the event page 'Run' button.
            May-23 19:51:50 Insteon Thermostat Found existing TSTAT HUMIDITY device for: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:50 Insteon Thermostat Found existing TSTAT TEMP device for: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:50 Insteon Thermostat Found existing TSTAT COOL device for: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:50 Insteon Thermostat Found existing TSTAT HEAT device for: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:50 Insteon Thermostat Found existing TSTAT HOLD device for: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:50 Insteon Thermostat Found existing TSTAT FAN device for: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:49 Insteon Thermostat Found existing TSTAT MODE device for: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:49 Insteon Thermostat Found existing TSTAT PROGRAM device for: 2441TH
            May-23 19:51:49 Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC Maintenance device for: 36TAQ4
            May-23 19:51:49 Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC HEAT device for: 36TAQ4
            May-23 19:51:49 Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC COOL device for: 36TAQ4
            May-23 19:51:49 Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC FAN device for: 36TAQ4
            May-23 19:51:49 Insteon Thermostat Found existing HVAC MODE device for: 36TAQ4
            May-23 19:50:40 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6A] [20]
            May-23 19:50:38 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6B] [03]
            May-23 19:50:36 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6A] [60]
            May-23 19:50:34 Insteon Thermostat TransmitInsteon: [2441TH] [0F] [6B] [02]
            May-23 19:50:34 Insteon Thermostat POLL thermostat: 2441TH
            May-23 19:50:34 Event Event Trigger "[NOT USED] CVtests Poll specific device"

Any thoughts as to why the dev mgmt page gets no update?

Comment

Claude,

Looking at that log, I see the the polling / transmits (outbound) but I don't see anything coming back in? It's normal for the thermostat firmware to not report temp changes until at least 2 degrees change so it can go for quite some time. I suggest doing some other commands like changing the mode or set points to check that communication is actually working with the thermostat. If the thermostat is handling some communication, you could run the Update Links option on the config/thermostats page to have it try and reestablish the reporting links between the thermostat and HS3. This is a last resort really.

Nathan
              HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
              Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

Originally posted by nfrobertson View Post
                Claude,

Looking at that log, I see the the polling / transmits (outbound) but I don't see anything coming back in? It's normal for the thermostat firmware to not report temp changes until at least 2 degrees change so it can go for quite some time. I suggest doing some other commands like changing the mode or set points to check that communication is actually working with the thermostat. If the thermostat is handling some communication, you could run the Update Links option on the config/thermostats page to have it try and reestablish the reporting links between the thermostat and HS3. This is a last resort really.

Nathan
                I'll do some more testing. Does a poll not 'force' the thermostat to report the current settings, regardless of deltas?

Comment

A poll request sends the command to the thermostat requesting the current temp. This does usually result in the temp being sent back. I didn't see any evidence of replies from your poll requests so I'm wondering if the communication isn't working between the thermostat and the PLM/Hub Insteon interface?

You might try power cycling your HVAC. I assume your 2441TH is wired to it so power cycling the HVAC will also power off/on the thermostat. Perhaps the firmware in the thermostat is in a state where it's not responding to the insteon network for some reason?

Nathan
                  HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Originally posted by nfrobertson View Post
                    A poll request sends the command to the thermostat requesting the current temp. This does usually result in the temp being sent back. I didn't see any evidence of replies from your poll requests so I'm wondering if the communication isn't working between the thermostat and the PLM/Hub Insteon interface?

You might try power cycling your HVAC. I assume your 2441TH is wired to it so power cycling the HVAC will also power off/on the thermostat. Perhaps the firmware in the thermostat is in a state where it's not responding to the insteon network for some reason?

Nathan
                    I did have a very strange issue with the 2441TH several days back. The thermostat seemed to have completely frozen: no local button would work. I powered it off/on but the problem persisted. In desperation, I sent it a command from HS and that action seemed to clear whatever condition it was under.

I've since recycled the Insteon Hub and rebooted the HS server. Now, when I poll, I do get back the temperature reading. So all is good, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X