Thermostat reports in degrees F, not C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat reports in degrees F, not C

Hi, I have setup the Insteon wireless thermostat, running on batteries only. I have verified that when the temperature or humidity changes, the thermostat wakes up and sends it's data to HomeSeer. The thermostat is set to display in Celcius and the set points for Cooling and Heating are correctly displayed in Homeseer. However, when the thermostat pushes data to Homeseer, it always sends the temperature in F. In the log, I see an error message that says that it is not sure what degrees to use so F is assumed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark.

The issue may be the fact that you are running with batteries only and the plugin needs to poll the thermostat to determine the F vs C setting. Unfortunately when on batteries, the plugins ability to reach out to the thermostat is extremely limited to the short time the thermostat is in command mode (seconds only). If switching to a 5v wired mode (see the sticky post on this subject) isn't an option then I'll need to do some experimentation with my wireless thermostat in battery mode (I always use 5v wired mode) and see if we can come up with a solution. I'm sure we can figure out a workable solution. It will be early next week before I can look at this closely.

Nathan
    HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
    Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
    Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
    Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
    http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for your reply. Your plugin works very well, thanks so much for writing it and sharing it.

I did choose the wireless thermostat for one particular location that would require only batteries.

I would be interested to hear your comments/experience on using the thermostat with batteries only. I do have to say that after some time experimenting with it, I am not able to observe a reliable reporting from the thermostat. I might be wrong, but I think the thermostat only wakes up when the humidity changes and then pushes data to Homeseer, A temperature change alone does not seem to wake the thermostat and make it send its data.

In my testing, the thermostat will sometimes report mode changes to Homeseer and other times not. Again, I can't observe a reliable "algorithm as to when the thermostat decides to report.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mark.

Comment

Update

Hi, I just wanted to post an update. I rebooted my home troller and now everything is working correctly. The thermostat reports in Celsius and updates with every parameter change, working on batteries only. So, I don't think you need to update your plugin at all.

Thanks again,

Mark.

Comment

Great news Mark!

I assume that after the Hometroller reboot, at some point the plugin was able to poll the thermostat and figure out the F vs C setting. This might have been fortunate timing that the thermostat was still "listening" for commands before it went into "sleep" mode. I'm glad you have it working now.

You did have good questions about how often settings are sent from the thermostat. In my experience, manual changes at the thermostat like mode, fan, setpoints are sent immediately as they are made. Thermostat tracked values like humidity and temperature are up to the firmware. Typically it appears that humidity is sent as it changes but temperature values are only sent when there's a 2 degree change. I have no idea why it's set that way in the firmware. Of course, the wireless thermostat on batteries might have other firmware settings to further save battery life. Only working with your thermostat will show how it truly will behave.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Nathan
          HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
          Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
          Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
          Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
          http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X