Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I best implement manual schedules ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I best implement manual schedules ?

I have not switched to Nest yet, but I am trying to prepare for the switch over... currently I use BLStat, that has various schedules for all my TRV's and for my main thermostat (which is going to be replaced by Nest). I would think BLStat wont be able to control Nest directly, but to make sure I will ask in the BLStat section. These schedules have been working very well for me, so I would like to somehow use these schedules to control the Nest. As far as I am aware, I can use my own schedule for the Nest. What I really want to do is turn off all the 'intelligent' settings of the Nest, and just send setpoints to it.
    Or what would current Nest users think ? Use own logic or use the intelligent settings ?

I bought 2 nest tstats a couple years ago before moving from Vera to HS3, thinking I'd let Nest handle the scheduling. At the time I didn't have an effective house occupancy setup, so the built-in home/away capability was also appealing (although I soon found the built-in motion sensors couldn't provide the coverage I needed while still being suitably located for temperature control). Now that I have relatively well-developed occupancy sensing throughout the house, I'm finding the Nests' capabilities are less sophisticated and granular than I'd like so I'm planning to implement my own scheduling and occupancy control and lobotomize the Nests, as you're suggesting. I'll watch this thread with interest to find what others have done, but at this point I'm planning to start with EasyTrigger schedules and a passel of events.
    -Wade

Comment

I was thinking of moving my main thermostat schedules over to easy trigger. A bit more complicated (more events) but it should work. But as you said, I wanted to see how others use the Nest

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
        I bought 2 nest tstats a couple years ago before moving from Vera to HS3, thinking I'd let Nest handle the scheduling. At the time I didn't have an effective house occupancy setup, so the built-in home/away capability was also appealing (although I soon found the built-in motion sensors couldn't provide the coverage I needed while still being suitably located for temperature control). Now that I have relatively well-developed occupancy sensing throughout the house, I'm finding the Nests' capabilities are less sophisticated and granular than I'd like so I'm planning to implement my own scheduling and occupancy control and lobotomize the Nests, as you're suggesting. I'll watch this thread with interest to find what others have done, but at this point I'm planning to start with EasyTrigger schedules and a passel of events.
        An update on my system of 2 Nest tstats...I've ended up not using schedules at all for now. I use overall house Home/Away status (PHLocation2) to switch Nest mode between Eco and Auto. When Auto is enabled, setpoints are set back a few degrees if room/area occupancy status (motion sensors) is vacant for a specified period. It's working well for me.

Worth noting that my sleeping areas are on a separate system--zoned Trane / Nexia without HS3 integration, so scheduling night setback in those areas is handled separately.

One interesting issue with the Nests. Yesterday noticed a logged error to the effect of "Can't adjust setpoint while thermostat is in Away mode". Even though I have Nest's internal Home/Away assist disabled on both thermostats, apparently it's still being tracked/set even though it's not triggering setpoint or mode change. Don't know whether this feature can be further disabled. If so, it's not obvious in the Nest app settings how it would be done. I've not checked settings on the tstat itself to see if maybe it's motion sensor can be turned off. In the meantime I've created an event to reset Nest Home/Away to Home anytime it changes to Away. I'm tracking to see how often it happens.
        -Wade

Comment

I am using BLStat schedules, which I used before migrating to Nest. These change setpoints on a virtual thermostat, which I then mirror on the Nest. Schedules change depending on weather, and home/away which is managed by our phones/tasker. Works well. I do not use the Eco mode at all, I (HS3) change the setpoint down at night or when we are away I am not sure if there are any benefits to put the Nest in Eco mode. When I change the setpoint to 19 C, which is my night time and away setpoint, the Nest shows the green leaf.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
            I am using BLStat schedules, which I used before migrating to Nest. These change setpoints on a virtual thermostat, which I then mirror on the Nest. Schedules change depending on weather, and home/away which is managed by our phones/tasker. Works well. I do not use the Eco mode at all, I (HS3) change the setpoint down at night or when we are away I am not sure if there are any benefits to put the Nest in Eco mode. When I change the setpoint to 19 C, which is my night time and away setpoint, the Nest shows the green leaf.
            Agree that ECO mode likely has no benefit--except I do like the quick visual cue that briefly shows on the tstat when walking past if it happens to be in that state (solid orange screen with white text).

edit: An admitted downside to using ECO is its associated temps have to be set in the app rather than in HS3.
            -Wade

Comment

Working...
            X