• Show
Clear All

Some feedback from YouTube (also owned by Google):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJFzdmjOVBI&t=314s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMwgU95tkqE
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
      Isn't an Ecobee 3 Lite an Ecobee 4 without the Alexa integration (microphone, speaker, etc.) but otherwise identical?
      The Ecobee 3 lite cannot control an accessory like a humidifier. I needed this feature therefore have the Ecobee 4 but i mute Alexa as i already have other echos near by.

Comment

Soooo.... Considering Amazon is a large investor of Ecobee how long do you think it will be before they outright purchase Ecobee and cut it off from 3rd parties just like they did with Ring and Blink?

Comment

I’m contemplating just going with a home made one at this point. All these large companies are ruining cross compatibility and local control.

https://hestiapi.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dibble9012 View Post
            I’m contemplating just going with a home made one at this point. All these large companies are ruining cross compatibility and local control.

https://hestiapi.com

I like their catch phase: "If you don't have root access to your thermostat, someone else does"

Comment

It looks like there isa path for devs to restore this connectivity via the Google Assistant API: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/c...h-google-nest/

If Control4 can write code to get status and control of Nest thermostats, then so can others. Maybe there is a rev of the API that hasn't been shared widely yet to fix the problem?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/c...h-google-nest/

thanks,
              mike

Comment

I wonder if this will go as smoothly for Control4 as when they changed the Sonos driver?

Comment

to make it even worse, it seems this Google assistant is only available as an app...... WTF, do they expect me to create routines and events etc on this tiny screen? What the F are they thinking?

Unless HS starts supporting Nest devices natively, I probably will have to sell the whole lot as what they say on the Plug-in page:

IMPORTANT: Today (5/8/19) we learned that Google is shutting down their "works with nest" API on August 31st 2019. When this occurs, this plug-in will no longer work. Going forward, Nest integration will be accomplished via Google Home Assistant. This plug-in is no longer available for sale.

This Nest integration via Google Home Assistant will be S**T.

Comment

How I long for the days of my RCS thermostats.

It’s interesting to read above about the Amazon investment in Ecobee. Allegedly they did this to promote the integration of Alexa features into their products. But that seems like an expensive way to make this happen.

It’s almost like the manufacturers are building a sort of forced obsolescence into these products by doing things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by theplant View Post

The Ecobee 3 lite cannot control an accessory like a humidifier. I needed this feature therefore have the Ecobee 4 but i mute Alexa as i already have other echos near by.
                      Thanks for the heads up on the humidifier option. I do have an aprilaire downstairs so I may go for a 4 on that floor.

Comment

Originally posted by theplant View Post

That's right... I knew there was a reason I chose the 4 over the 3. We have 6 HVAC units total and each has it's own dedicated Honeywell DR120 dehumidifier hooked into the duct work. I needed the Ecobee 4 to control the dehumidifiers and to permit them to control HVAC circulation fan.

--Barry

Comment

I going to hold out and hope the google assistant API allows HS to monitor/control the Nest products. Along with 2 T-Stats I have 6 Protects. I agree that the Nest T-Stat functionality doesn't impress, but it was the only T-Stat that I found that met the WAF.

Comment

Just tried to install the Nest 3.0.0.33 update, but it fails.......... has this been pulled because of this?

Comment

Interestingly I got them for the WAF. But no one in the house touches them. Homeseer does a great job of maintaining the temp.

I also have the protects - but never really took advantage of the network capabilities as I don’t let the nests control the temp themselves - everything is done by events in homeseer.

All I really need is the connection to homeseer.

Comment

I also use them as thermostats only. I bought them for looks (and WAF). All control done through HS. I tried the home/away and auto scheduling. Rubbish. HS does a much better job with my own schedules and geofence via egigeozone/tasker

Comment

Working...
                                X