Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death of "Works with Nest"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    I noticed that Nest 3rd gen thermostats are selling for an average of $130 on eBay.

    This is starting to be a much easier decision.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #92
      Would this Google change also have an impact on the various chromecast devices in the future?.... I am afraid it probably will..

      Comment


      • #93
        Saw this this morning too: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/commen...ot_a_response/

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by mloebl View Post
          I read that and people are saying "it doesn't seem that bad", but if you read the letter they basically say "If you're samsung or big, we'll work with you"......so am I wrong in thinking it still sounds bad for us?
          Thanks,
          Frank

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by sirmeili View Post

            I read that and people are saying "it doesn't seem that bad", but if you read the letter they basically say "If you're samsung or big, we'll work with you"......so am I wrong in thinking it still sounds bad for us?
            Yeah from what I've read it's bad... So yeah essentially if you're a big player you're good. Otherwise you're screwed.

            Comment


            • #96
              Looks like they have done a 180: https://www.blog.google/products/goo...rks-with-nest/

              They are going to provide equivalent functionality and will keep existing functionality up until they do. Good news.

              Comment


              • #97
                Hard to say they will create equivalent functionnality. From what I just read.

                Comment


                • #98
                  The support manager I was dealing with just got back with me. To summarize: seems the people who make decisions had no idea what "Home Automation" really was. They had no idea people set things up to happen based on outside events besides Home/Away. They did not know how people were actually using the technology. He said they got a LOT of hate mail and people saying they were switching to Amazon products.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by jim@beersman.com View Post
                    The support manager I was dealing with just got back with me. To summarize: seems the people who make decisions had no idea what "Home Automation" really was. They had no idea people set things up to happen based on outside events besides Home/Away. They did not know how people were actually using the technology. He said they got a LOT of hate mail and people saying they were switching to Amazon products.
                    I'm glad they're going to try to be more accommodating. There's this dichotomy that exists between home automation people, using platforms like Homeseer, and everyone else who just wants to talk to their lightbulbs and thermostats. Does not surprise me that the prevailing attitude at Google is generally "talk to your thermostat."

                    Comment


                    • I don't see where IFTTT is back or anything that suggests they care about a Homeseer plugin.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                        I don't see where IFTTT is back or anything that suggests they care about a Homeseer plugin.
                        +1
                        It was marketing speak for: "Stop saying bad things about us"..

                        Z

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                          I don't see where IFTTT is back or anything that suggests they care about a Homeseer plugin.
                          exactly. Not sure if Spud will be willing to deal with "security audits" periodically. Also they are still touting routines as the replacement, except I don't want to manage my automations from HS3 AND Assistant. I just want to do them via HS3.

                          Hopefully they will keep WWN, but for those that use Home/Away, I think that functionality will just go away. Seems like they want that reserved for themselves.
                          Thanks,
                          Frank

                          Comment


                          • Here is one perspective on the revised Google announcement:

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zF3...em-uploademail

                            Comment


                            • When I read this post I tweeted out to Google that I was going to trash my three NESTs because they would no longer work with Homeseer. I just got a reply this am -

                              "We hear you: Updates to Works with Nest: We hear you Richard. If you change your mind, our team has made some updates - We will no longer be deprecating WWN, and existing connections will still be available on your Nest Account -- but you won't have access to new features available with your Google Account:"

                              The 'change your mind' is obviously there because I told them take your Nests and ......

                              Comment


                              • Assuming that they do keep the API open I assume it means we still won't see the Nest remote temp sensors working? After I started looking around and focusing on the Ecobee - the ability to sample temps around the floor and average the temp seems like a nice feature to have.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X