Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nest plugin still going to work after August then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nest plugin still going to work after August then?

Spud,

Thought I’d ask the question, since I already have the plugin and have been using it for some time. I complained to google about the WWN situation, but how much of the plugin is still going to work? (If you know of course).

I know that the IFTTT connections will still work if made before the end of August. So my question is, do I need to make them now or continue using this plugin? I could probably do some of this with IFTTT but I don’t know for sure, and your plugin is preferred.

My main use of the nest plugin is :

Using the temperature device from the nest thermostat to run my heating.

Forcing the home and away into Nest from Homeseer as I don’t like waiting DAYS for nest to update if at all 🙄

Using the camera on the drive as a motion sensor for the outside lights and taking snapshots for security.

Changing the heat/eco/off device and the target temperature from homeseer when approaching home so it comes on if cold. (Can’t believe the nest doesn’t do this anyway)

I also have notifications when the nest devices change so I can keep an eye on it.

All in all it’s a crying shame, but a heads up on what I need to prepare for will help.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

J

As far as I understand the limited information provided by Google/Nest the WWN API will keep working after August 31, but it will be impossible to authorize the plugin to access a new Nest account from this date.
    So for existing users all the features of the plugin will still work as before.
    The question is for how long? I guess at some point Google will completely shut down this API but we don't know when.

You should backup your Config/Nest.ini file (specifically the access_token line) to make sure you never have to authorize again the plugin.
    And you must NOT merge your Nest account with your Google account otherwise the plugin won't work anymore.

IFTTT will have the same problem, so if not already done you should authorize the Nest channel in your IFTTT account before August 31.

Comment

Good answer. Thank you. 👍🏼

Cheers

J

Comment

Looks like they have already taken a lot out of IFTTT. Triggers and actions on the nest thermostat are limited. Actions are set the temperature, set temperature range, or turn a fan on? Triggers are nest set to home, set to away, temperature rises above, and temperature drops below. Nest protect and camera services are equally sparse.

I see applets available that use the pir sensors but they don’t work, but I have no idea if they did before the announcement. Cloud services for automation are OK, if you don’t mind waiting a few days for things to trigger, and if you are lucky and they do actually trigger. 🙄

Tut tut Google. I’m probably going to look further into getting the refund they said I could have. Just in case.

Cheers

J

Comment

Which plugins are limited for thermostats?

Comment

Curious if after the death of nest api and the death of Alexa integration directly will Alexa work through Homeseer and the Nest plugin to allow for voice control? I use the Alexa voice control primarily. The fact google is discontinuing that really sucks. Hopefully some function will works with the plugin similar to a zwave tstat? I hope????

Comment

Originally posted by bobsilver1 View Post
              Curious if after the death of nest api and the death of Alexa integration directly will Alexa work through Homeseer and the Nest plugin to allow for voice control? I use the Alexa voice control primarily. The fact google is discontinuing that really sucks. Hopefully some function will works with the plugin similar to a zwave tstat? I hope????
              The Nest plugin will continue to work as before after August for those who have already authorized it, so integration with Alexa through HomeSeer will still work like now too.

Comment

Hi
                Today Nest want me to migrate to google, and then I need to disconnect works with nest
                I guess there is no return back if I do it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	90D7DD46-DED6-4166-B829-4565BF1A39AB.png
Views:	1626
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1321950

Comment

Originally posted by frankis78 View Post
                  Hi
                  Today Nest want me to migrate to google, and then I need to disconnect works with nest
                  I guess there is no return back if I do it?

Name:	90D7DD46-DED6-4166-B829-4565BF1A39AB.png
Views:	1626
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1321950
                  Correct, if you do that the Nest plugin won't work anymore, and you won't be able to re-authorize it.
                  So don't do it if you want to keep the integration with HomeSeer.

Comment

spud, so it was not possible to migrate from WWN to WWGA?

Google makes it sound like their "Works With Google Assistant" is a straight forward replacement for the "Works With Nest" method that they are retiring (yay for doing no evil).

The fact that they deny direct access to Nest devices is probably why you shunned away from even attempting to migrate, but would proxying the requests through the Google Assistant be feasible? Trying to get a better understanding and Google is very slick in their avoidance of technical reasons/details, so hoping you have more info.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
                      spud, so it was not possible to migrate from WWN to WWGA?

Google makes it sound like their "Works With Google Assistant" is a straight forward replacement for the "Works With Nest" method that they are retiring (yay for doing no evil).

The fact that they deny direct access to Nest devices is probably why you shunned away from even attempting to migrate, but would proxying the requests through the Google Assistant be feasible? Trying to get a better understanding and Google is very slick in their avoidance of technical reasons/details, so hoping you have more info.
                      I don't have a lot more info, but one thing is clear, WWGA is definitely NOT a straight forward replacement for WWN, and I don't think they are going to offer a replacement that would allow HomeSeer to control and monitor Nest devices:

This FAQ item is pretty clear:
                      https://nest.com/ca/whats-happening/...moving-forward

so, do NOT migrate your Nest account to Google account if you want to keep the integration with HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

I don't have a lot more info, but one thing is clear, WWGA is definitely NOT a straight forward replacement for WWN, and I don't think they are going to offer a replacement that would allow HomeSeer to control and monitor Nest devices:

This FAQ item is pretty clear:
                        https://nest.com/ca/whats-happening/...moving-forward

so, do NOT migrate your Nest account to Google account if you want to keep the integration with HomeSeer.

Well I guess since someone here at home migrated our account to Google, we are SOL. Time to rip out all Nest devices and to the garbage they go.

This is the exact reason I hate controlling things from cloud accounts. Having everything local all the time is the way to do it.

Please let us know if you are able to tweak/re-write the software to accommodate their stupid changes. There is going to be much more of this stuff happening so be prepared people. Are all of tech companies trying to be apple now?

Comment

I expect a lot of folks will get caught like this eventually. I want to have a backup plan in place but still not sure what to do. I don't want to extend my Z-Wave mesh out to cover all thermostats at this time and polling is too slow on Ecobee for my application. I need a nice looking serial thermostat or a Wi-Fi unit that talks locally to Homeseer without the Internet. Maybe an opportunity for Homeseer to release a new product?

Comment

Ended up buying 3x ZTS-500US last week, which is a Remotec Z-Wave thermostat that has been perfect for my usage. Z-Wave response time is instant both ways (some Amazon reviews scared me initially), so any adjustment inside HomeSeer is reflected immediately on the device, and vice-versa any manual adjustment made on the device is reflected immediately within HomeSeer.

This is for a new location, as previous one ran on Vera3 with Nest. Planned to get an Ecobee3 with sensor pack originally as it is a 3-zone unit, and then the two extra Ecobee sensors would cover the other two zones. However, that would only provide a single manual point of adjustment with visual feedback and some of the other occupants are not that well versed in mobile app control.

The eBay sale at $65 each with $5 combined shipping made the ZTS-500US deal cheaper than Ecobee3, so win-win. The only major loss is that Nest/Ecobee have features that will take me time to write scripts for. Scheduling waking up at 9am with 72F temps when house is 55F at night with 38F outside temps it would take say 2-hours at 125k BTU and start heating at 7am, but then Nest was smart enough to know that outside temps were expected to be 65F around 8:30am, so it would save a bunch of energy by waiting to start heating the house. Was saving roughly $1500/year on my gas/electrical bills (Ohio weather can get rough) due to Nest and Z-Wave.

Remotec states that FLiRS mode should last a year on the 4x AA batteries, so will keep an eye on it via SDJ-Health. The first one installed had just a two-wire cable, but other two had a 4-wire cable with two unused wires. Will talk to HVAC expert to see if this old unit has C-wire support for me to bring over 24V-AC, but in worst case I would be fine with FLiRS mode.

The only thing I haven't figured out is why HomeSeer adjusted the device ID sort order and put 100 after 95 (see pic below), when the other two thermostats are in proper order. And why third thermostat is listed at the bottom of the 'Home' page.

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-27 HomeSeer Web Control.png
Views:	1468
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1323019

Comment

Ended up buying 3x ZTS-500US last week...
                              Thanks for this. I've been considering what my move will be from 2 Nest tstats, and the ZTS-500 seemed most appealing out of what I've researched. My Nests are still working for now, and even though I'll be glad to eventually get rid of the cloud component, I'll probably put off the swap for a while. Please report back as you live with these a while longer.

The only thing I haven't figured out is why HomeSeer adjusted the device ID sort order and put 100 after 95 (see pic below), when the other two thermostats are in proper order.
                              The root device is always forced to the top and the rest are apparently sorted as text rather than numbers so the 1s come before 9s. Bug or feature? ;-)
                              -Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X