Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nest plugin still going to work after August then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea when the Nest plug-in work again with the google change? Would love to know if I have to get rid of all my thermostats?

Comment

Originally posted by smithdavee View Post
      Any idea when the Nest plug-in work again with the google change? Would love to know if I have to get rid of all my thermostats?
      It probably never will.
      Nest thermostats can only be integrated with Google Assistant from now on.

https://nest.com/ca/whats-happening/...l-nest-devices

Comment

Originally posted by smithdavee View Post
        If you did not convert your account, then you'll be good to go until the unforeseen future when Google decides to pull the plug completely (they are keeping silent on this).

Already converted accounts are totally screwed as per:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-29 What’s happening at Nest .png
Views:	807
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1329671

Unless you buy a Google Assistant compatible hub and have HomeSeer control it.

Business 101: take a monopoly position, and then abuse it. I'm sure eventually the EU will step in, but as it stands there are too many competitors doing the same thing (Apple, Amazon, and Samsung) so then it is simply fair marketplace practice. Personally I don't want to end up with 12 different hubs to get everything to talk to each other, so I'm sticking to companies who have no vetted interest in forcing you into their 'ecosphere'.

Of course that was my initial thought behind buying a Nest thermostat as well, and then one month later Google bought the company.

At least they retain their value in comparison to what a replacement would cost, and are therefore easy to resell if needed.

Comment

Blink cameras are another example.

Crowd funded, promises of API etc. Started to deliver on the promise, Amazon bought them. Lockdown.

They left the anemic IFTTT controls in place and nothing else.

I think this worse because of the crowd funding origins.

Totally understand that the Blink founders made a fortune. However maybe the crowd funding sites should make companies sign a credo stating that they will deliver on their promises in the event that a big company buys them before they start raising money?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it possible to get a key for the plugin though? I never bought it as I didnt have time to setup Homeseer. And now I cannot buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by KenBeanNet View Post
              Is it possible to get a key for the plugin though? I never bought it as I didnt have time to setup Homeseer. And now I cannot buy it.
              You should have received a custom invoice to buy the plugin last week, let me know if you did not get it or if you have any problem.
              thanks

Comment

I just read that the works with Google Assistant API is released in begin 2020 for developers. For personal use not until late 2020. So it will take some time before a new plugin is possible

https://blog.google/products/google-...ith-nest?hl=nl

https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access

Comment

With this new developer access are there any plans to rewrite this plugin? I'm building a new home now and I'd love to add the Nest Protect smoke detectors but if I can't integrate them with Homeseer I'm really not interested.

Comment

+1

Comment

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any chance that we will be able to add Nest protect smoke detectors to HS4?

Comment

Google did come out with a $5 Nest device access setup @ https://developers.google.com/nest/d...s/registration

No idea if that will make things work as-is, or if more is needed.

Comment

I too am trying to decide if I stay with Nest thermostat and smoke detectors. I posted in the general section asking for recommendations, but got one response. Some clarification of what will/will not work with HS4 would be very helpful.

Barry

Comment

The new Google Nest Device access API is a replacement for the deprecated Nest API, but is more limited, for example Nest Protects are not supported (yet?).
                              My old HS3 Nest plugin won't work with this new API
                              A new HomeSeer HS4 Google Nest plugin that target this new API will be probably created, but no timeframe yet.

Comment

I am using the old HS3 Nest plugin and like it mainly because it allows instant feedback when somebody makes a manual change to a thermostat. I have never been able to use Ecobee or other alternative brands because their feedback from manual changes is much too slow to support my requirements. Do we know if the new Google Nest Device API will have the same rapid response as the old API or is it going to be dumbed down?

Comment

Working...
                                X