Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-certification for Works with Google Assistant

Spud,

Are you applying for the re-certification process that they talked about in yesterday's event? I presume there is not a cost for this? I would like to be able to move to the google account and home app eventually and without loosing my integration.

- Tom

HSPro/Insteon
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel

You should probably peruse some of the other threads in this subforum that discuss this. My understanding is the PI can't be made to work under the new system, and if you convert your account you will permanently lose the functionality you have now.
    -Wade

Comment

You are correct that if I switch to my google account I will loose access to my devices under "works with nest". That is not what I am talking about. They have changed the integration platform to "works with google assistant". It is the next evolution of their old API. In yesterday's event by Google they said that they cut off the old API and require a security check before someone can use the new API. That is what I am asking. Is spud planning to upgrade to the replacement API and get the security check.

I don't like the way Google/Nest handled this at all, but there is a door open to keep out device integration. I am just asking if Spud is planning to do that.

Here is some more info I could find...

https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access

EDIT: At the bottom of the page linked above, there is a sign-up for getting going with the device access. (AKA works with google assistant)

-Tom
      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
      Web Site
      YouTube Channel

Comment

Good info. Thanks.
        -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
          You are correct that if I switch to my google account I will loose access to my devices under "works with nest". That is not what I am talking about. They have changed the integration platform to "works with google assistant". It is the next evolution of their old API. In yesterday's event by Google they said that they cut off the old API and require a security check before someone can use the new API. That is what I am asking. Is spud planning to upgrade to the replacement API and get the security check.

I don't like the way Google/Nest handled this at all, but there is a door open to keep out device integration. I am just asking if Spud is planning to do that.

Here is some more info I could find...

https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access

EDIT: At the bottom of the page linked above, there is a sign-up for getting going with the device access. (AKA works with google assistant)

-Tom
          I filled out the form to get more information when it's available.
          Thanks for the link

Comment

I'm hoping it won't rely on extra Google hardware to make it work, so keeping fingers crossed they are bringing back the old API with some new rims

Comment

It would seem from the quote below that they will continue to expand on the API, in fact. I too will believe it when I see it. I also feel that they should have had the new solution in place BEFORE they pulled the rug out.

Nest device access and control

The Device Access API currently allows partners, based on their presented use cases, to perform one or more of the following functions: gather certain information from Nest devices, enable control of thermostats, ability to access and view camera feeds, and receive doorbell notifications with images. Smoke alarm support is coming soon. All integrated solutions will also be required to request permission from end users before being able to access, control, and manage their Nest devices as part of the partner app, solution, or platform.
              What is mentioned is beyond what the old API provided. It seems that they stopped developing this even earlier. I think they already knew this was coming. They should have let their partner know.
              - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
              Web Site
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
                I also feel that they should have had the new solution in place BEFORE they pulled the rug out.
                Totally.

Might have been marketing side trying to use it as a way to expand market share thinking everybody will be okay with it, and then PR side seeing backlash after the fact going "wtf, undo", and then development team from Nest shaking their heads "told you so!".

Might never know the truth until some whistleblower comes forward, but at least we can vote with our wallets.

Comment

Interesting. I’ll keep track on this. Let us know how you get on Spud. Thanks πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Cheers

J

Comment

Working...
                  X