Nest Performance not so fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nest Performance not so fun

I installed a Nest thermostat a few days ago. I seem to be plagued with a wiring issue. The units seems to lose it's hardwired connection with the HVAC unit and stop functioning. I have cut the wires and re-stripped them and ensured they are fully inserted into the connection. Nest unit only uses spring tension to make connection to the wire vs screw compression. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar experience with the Nest ceasing to function.

When the issue appears I see one of several symptoms. I lose WiFi connection first. or the unit only has a flashing green light at the top with a blank display or the unit is calling for heat but the HVAC will not turn on.

I removed the Nest and re-installed the old unit to ensure there wasn't an issue with the HVAC. I have never liked spring tension for mechanical wiring connections, I prefer screw terminals where you can ensure a tight connection.

It's unfortunate but all of the new smart units ( Lyric, Ecobee & Nest) use spring tension .

I am curious if others have experienced similar issues...

PS the plug-in by Spud worked fantastic....

I was looking at exchanging to an Ecobee however I don't see many plug-in choices.
    Last edited by devoir; January 30, 2015, 09:00 AM.
Working...
X