Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nest motion available now - Not yet

Hi Spud.
    I just noticed that the Nest Motion trigger is available in IFTTT now. Don't recall seeing that before and I think you said previously that it was one of the items not exposed in the API.

Do you know if the API been updated to include this and if so, perhaps it could be added to the plugin?

Cheers
    James
    cheeryfool

where did you see the Nest Motion trigger in IFTTT? I couldn't find it

there is a trigger based on home/away status but that is not exactly the same thing than "motion trigger" and it is already available in the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
      where did you see the Nest Motion trigger in IFTTT? I couldn't find it

there is a trigger based on home/away status but that is not exactly the same thing than "motion trigger" and it is already available in the plugin.
      Sorry, you're right. It's very misleadingly labelled as Nest Motion. In fact it states:
      "Notes: If the Nest detects motion, it moves to Home. This will send a notification to iOS device."

https://ifttt.com/recipes/234757-nes...s-notification

But it's actually using the Home/Away status and not motion. Grrrr.

Sorry for wasting your time.
      cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
        Sorry, you're right. It's very misleadingly labelled as Nest Motion. In fact it states:
        "Notes: If the Nest detects motion, it moves to Home. This will send a notification to iOS device."

https://ifttt.com/recipes/234757-nes...s-notification

But it's actually using the Home/Away status and not motion. Grrrr.

Sorry for wasting your time.
        It is one of the most dissapointing things about the nest. It has a lot of sensors and devices that they are not exposing in their api. It has an excellent motion detector, as does the protect. I was hoping that one day I could use them instead of the motion detector I have to put right next to them.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
          It is one of the most dissapointing things about the nest. It has a lot of sensors and devices that they are not exposing in their api. It has an excellent motion detector, as does the protect. I was hoping that one day I could use them instead of the motion detector I have to put right next to them.
          Exactly
          cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
            While I also agree that it is disappointing, i don't think we will ever see motion events exposed through the current API since the nest isn't even sending those motion events up to the cloud, and Nest probably doesn't want it to based on the sheer volume of events (that are mostly worthless to their app) that doing so would initiate.

Hopefully there will be a different api in the future that will allow access to the device on a local level that would expose that and other items. That is about the only way i see it happening. (pushing custom messages to the nest screen would be awesome and comes to mind with a local device api).

Comment

Working...
            X