Any hope for using Nest without WAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Nest. In another thread it was mentioned that Nest required a WAN connection to be fully functional. So I am left wondering if there might be a work around to be able to get basic HS3 control without the WAN connection?

What goodies does the WAN connection bring to the table?

Originally posted by Kitar View Post
    New to the Nest. In another thread it was mentioned that Nest required a WAN connection to be fully functional. So I am left wondering if there might be a work around to be able to get basic HS3 control without the WAN connection?

What goodies does the WAN connection bring to the table?
    There is no workaround that I know of. The official API use the cloud and I doubt this would change anytime soon.

Comment

To answer your original thread title question: No.

As for benefits, ease of use is one (it just works, and is stupid simple to install for most homeowners that are capable of even modest home repairs). It also works beautifully with many other third party applications. I just connected it to my Harmony remote, for example, which has little practical application for me but some might like it. For others, the benefits are mostly to Nest, and that's reasonable (see my response to your post in the other thread).

Most HA hobbyists (users of this forum) don't like this concept because we are a bunch of geeky nerds (including me, and it's a compliment) that can handle this connectivity and control stuff ourselves. But we are a tiny little minority. And the less time I have, the more I find I like the benefits of "it just works", without a lot of tweaking and management. That's a very big benefit of this WAN model.
      Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Working...
      X