Slow responding thermostat causing errors in the log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow responding thermostat causing errors in the log

As part of our energy management system, we have 15 RCS TR-15/16's installed in an industrial setting at our plant. We have been communicating with them sucessfully for many years using HS 1.6 and the "old" thermostat scripts (.thm). We recently made two changes (upgraded to HomeSeer 2 and installed two additional TR-16's on an ethernet link) and now we constantly get the following errors in the log file:

Code:

8/14/2007 1:54:45 PM RCS Serial Thermostats Error Writing Data: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
    8/14/2007 1:54:46 PM RCS Serial Thermostats Error in Poll Thread, Argument 'Start' must be greater than zero.
    And the occasional
    Code:

8/14/2007 2:09:52 PM  RCS Serial Thermostats Unable to Interpret Command: ûéß{ÿßþß}ûÿÓ
    If I connect to COM1 using HyperTerm and manually send thermostat commands, everything works fine: I don't see any garbage characters and I get the response strings that I would expect.

After enabling the debug output, I see a pattern. Here is what I think is going on:

The two new units we added are at a remote warehouse that only has a wireless 802.11b link back to the main plant. I installed a couple of 802.11b -> ethernet converters at each end and effectively extended our RS485 network over the wireless link. It works great. However, when manually testing in HyperTerm, I notice that the (apparent) transmission speed is slower for the two "remote" stats that for the "local" ones (it may take nearly a second for all of the characters in the response string from a remote unit to transmit where the local ones are nearly instantaneous). I think the RCS Serial thermostat plugin is not giving the remote units enough time to finish thier transmission (or finish receiving data in the case of the "I/O operation has been aborted..." message).

Is it possible to increase (or better yet make a settable parameter to change) the timeout or wait period before giving up on each thermostat (one paramater for all thermostats is fine)? I think this would solve the probelm that we're having.

By the way, I am open to suggestions if someone has any differnet ideas.

Thanks,
    John
Working...
X