Big Problem with RCS Serial Thermostats, version: 2.3.2770.14681

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Problem with RCS Serial Thermostats, version: 2.3.2770.14681

When my computer restarts homeseer (via SafeRestart) using RCS Serial version: 2.3.2770.14681, my t-stats are set to heat set points of 55 degrees and cool set points of 60 degrees. This is a big problem, which I don't believe was happening with earlier versions of the plug in.

A work around is to run an event every night to set the setpoints correctly just after HS restarts. However, I have been frosting my house when I am away which was not quite the energy saving strategy that I was hoping for when I put in the RCS t-stats.

I did some further investigating. The restart had nothing to do with it. Apparently I have a "bad" event running:

RCS Serial Thermostats: All Thermostats:
    Set Hold Mode: HoldRCS Serial Thermostats: All Thermostats:
    Set Cool Setpoint: 85RCS Serial Thermostats: All Thermostats:
    Set Heat Setpoint: 55

Somehow this is causing the heat to be set to 55, and the cool to be set to 60. I will turn off that event (which I had created as a nightly check up -- and actually caused the problem).

Comment

I can confirm that this event sets the heat set point to 55, the cool set point to 59 and the status to hold. I have no clue why it would set the cool setpoint to the wrong temperature:

Action List RCS Serial Thermostats:All Thermostats:
      Set Hold Mode: Hold RCS Serial Thermostats:All Thermostats:
      Set Cool Setpoint: 85 RCS Serial Thermostats:All Thermostats:
      Set Heat Setpoint: 55

As you can see, the cool setpoint should be 85 but it actually gets set to 55.

I have changed to a different event, which does yield the intended result:

RCS Serial Thermostats: All Thermostats:
      Set Mode: Auto Wait: 3 secondsRCS Serial Thermostats: All Thermostats:
      Set Fan Mode: Auto Wait: 3 secondsRCS Serial Thermostats: All Thermostats:
      Set Hold Mode: Hold Wait: 3 secondsRCS Serial Thermostats: All Thermostats:
      Set Heat Setpoint: 55 Wait: 3 secondsRCS Serial Thermostats: All Thermostats:
      Set Cool Setpoint: 85

Comment

Try mine. I have been using it for years on my TR40 and it has been flawless.
        And I reboot every night.

hspi_rcsserialtherm.ocx Ver: 2.2.0.30
        Attached Files

~Bill

Comment

It appears that programs that have the Heat Set point set before the Cool Set point perform correctly; programs that set the cool set point and then the heat set point do not work. Further, when they don't work, they set the heat set point correctly, but the cool set point at 4 degrees above the heat set point. This is a nasty little bug in the plug in.

Again, the work around seems to be to set the heat set point BEFORE setting the cool set point.

Comment

When I operate my TR40 manually (at the unit), I can not set the heat set point to within less than 4 degrees of the cool set point. I'm sure this is by design as there must be some range to prevent the controller from oscillating continuously between heating and cooling.

So, I suspect that when you program it via the computer interface, the controller rejects a setting that is within the 4 degree range and sets it to the nearest temperature that is a 4 degree difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
              When I operate my TR40 manually (at the unit), I can not set the heat set point to within less than 4 degrees of the cool set point. I'm sure this is by design as there must be some range to prevent the controller from oscillating continuously between heating and cooling.

So, I suspect that when you program it via the computer interface, the controller rejects a setting that is within the 4 degree range and sets it to the nearest temperature that is a 4 degree difference.
              Correct, it is under the I believe 'installer' settings. I don't seem to have the manual any more.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post

Understood. However the problem I was having occurred when setting the heat set point to 55 degrees and the cool set point to 85 degrees but getting the result of the heat set point set to 55 and the cool set point set to 59. That was caused by setting the cool set point before setting the heat set point -- just a bug in the program. The simple work around is to always set the heat set point first, then set the cool set point.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                  That was caused by setting the cool set point before setting the heat set point -- just a bug in the program.
                  I see. Would you file a help ticket on this to get it fixed? I'd like to see this plug-in work correctly.

There is also a problem reporting the hold/run status. It is reported incorrectly by the plug-in. I filed a help desk ticket on this months ago, but nobody has started working on it.

Comment

jono,

I filed a help desk ticket on this in case you didn't. Did you get any response from HomeSeer Technologies?

Comment

I didn't get any response, but really wasn't looking for a response, just an update. If nothing else they should just post a "sticky" describing the work around (always set the heat set point before setting the cool set point).

Comment

Since it appears HomeSeer Technologies has no interest in fixing these problems, they should release the source code so someone can make it work. It's definitely misleading to advertise a plug-in like this with the basic functionality broken.

Comment

Working...
                        X