TR40 - mutiple displays with a single controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TR40 - mutiple displays with a single controller

1) Does the TR40 come with a display and controller?
    2) If so, how can one purchase a second display without needing a second controller?
    3) How is it wired with multiple displays using a single controller? Do both displays run to the same connections (parallel) on the single controller?
    4) Are both displays synchronized or do they individually control the controller and thus the HVAC system?

I have a 2-story house with single zone heat. The top floor always gets hotter than the bottom floor. I want to be able to have the heat set to 68 downstairs when I am awake and then change to have the heat set to 68 UPSTAIRS when I go to bed (I can send an X10 or HTML command w/ Homeseer to inform the logic of when I go to bed).

5) Can this be done with one display downstairs and a remote temperature sensor upstairs? I know it can "average" the temps, but that's not what I want (see my description above again).
    6) Can this be done with two displays; one downstairs and one upstairs?

I've looked into all of the manuals and searched the boards but could not find much on this topic.

Thanks!

anyone at least know any of the answers to these questions?

Comment

Yes, the TR40 comes with the controller that mounts near the furnace, and the display that is in the room that needs to be measured.

I have never heard of anyone connecting two displays to one controller.

Since you use Homeseer, I assume you have a HS display on both floors.
      If that is the case, then Homeseer is your second display.

The TR40 provides internal scheduling. You can set the TR40 to go to 68 degrees during the night and then reset to 70 in the AM.

You can also have Homeseer programmatically tell the thermostat to go to a certain temp under certain conditions (like Home or Away or Vacation modes or Am / PM).

Don't see the need for a second RCS display and not even sure that without going to a RCS multizone controller that is even possible.

Comment

Originally posted by yeahprolly View Post
        I have a 2-story house with single zone heat. The top floor always gets hotter than the bottom floor. I want to be able to have the heat set to 68 downstairs when I am awake and then change to have the heat set to 68 UPSTAIRS when I go to bed (I can send an X10 or HTML command w/ Homeseer to inform the logic of when I go to bed).

5) Can this be done with one display downstairs and a remote temperature sensor upstairs? I know it can "average" the temps, but that's not what I want (see my description above again).
        6) Can this be done with two displays; one downstairs and one upstairs?
        5) No, it is not possible to determine the reading from an individual temperature sensor via the serial interface unless the sensor is the only one configured in the system (configured to ignore the sensor in the wall display unit itself). You can see the temperature readings of individual sensors on the RCS wall display unit, though, by pressing the buttons on the wall display unit. I wish RCS would add this data retrieval capability to their protocol and have suggested it to them.

6) As far as I know, the product was designed to work with only one wall unit display, so you would need some other hardware talking to HomeSeer to provide a second display.

Comment

The only way I can think of is to purchase a zone controller. Even though you wouldn't be using any dampers, you could in theory still have two display units. I believe they have a two zone unit. Obviously without dampers, you'll still be heating or cooling both floors at the same time, and the unit will run until both display units no longer require your system to run. With the zone controller, you'd be able to set and read the setpoints from both display units.
          HS: 2.5.0.60
          Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
          Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
          Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
          Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
          Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
          UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
          Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Working...
          X