Buying a TR40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a TR40

Does anyone know if the TR40 comes with both the Wall Display Unit (WDU) and the Thermostat Control Unit (TCU) included?

Also, can the TCU be hooked up directly a serial port on the computer running homeseer?

Thanks all!

Yes - the TR40 comes with both the Wall Display Unit (WDU) and the Thermostat Control Unit (TCU) included - haven't tried to hook it up directly to a computer running HS

Comment

Ta-Da!

http://store.homeseer.com/store/TR40...S-P325C38.aspx
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

They are fine units.

Watch out, there are RS-232 models and RS-485 models.

RS-232 will attach to the COM port of your computer.

RS-485 will attach to the COM port but only after installing an RS-485 to RS-232 adapter. They are inexpensive on eBay and such.

~Bill

Comment

All of the RCS serial thermostats are designed with an RS485 interface. They don't make RS232 native models. However, they do make an RS485-RS232 hub that they recommend for the conversion:
          http://store.homeseer.com/store/8AH4...S-P626C38.aspx

Comment

I have the z-wave TZ40 which is zwave (using an adapter that connects to the RS485 port on the control unit), but I'm using it with the RS485 interface instead. There were a few features that I wanted to use such as messages and setting the outside temperature that didn't work with the z-wave interface.

If anyone is ever looking to convert their RS485 thermostat to zwave, PM me and maybe you could get some use out of this little converter box.

Great thermostat!!
            Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
              All of the RCS serial thermostats are designed with an RS485 interface. They don't make RS232 native models. However, they do make an RS485-RS232 hub that they recommend for the conversion:
              Unless I am missing something -- Ta-da!
              http://www.resconsys.com/docs/thermo...1-01070-03.pdf

Installation and Operation Manual
              PN: 141-01070
              Revision 03
              Date: 5/22/03
              Applies to these TR40 Revisions or later
              Model Part Number Firmware Version
              TR40-232 001-01070-07
              TR40-485 001-01080-07
              TS40 WDU 001-01060-07 3.05.5
              HFR-232 CU 001-00810-07 3.04.3
              HFR-485 CU 001-00820-07 3.04.3

Mine has the little sticker on the control box like the one in your photo but it says TR40 RS232 Model and I'm pretty sure I wired my serial cable right the board.

But I will concede I can't find them for sale anywhere.

I guess you did say they don't make instead of they have never made...

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                I guess you did say they don't make instead of they have never made...
                correct. The unit you have dates back to 2003. The only units made now are RS485 native.

Comment

Are the older hardware versions completely upgradable with firmware to equal the newer shipped models?

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                    I bought 2 TR40s on BestBuy auction site and have to admit, I didn't give a lot of thought to the RS-485 part. Has anyone tried a USB to RS-485 converter like these?

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...FdA65QodnV5BRQ

Or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-USB-2-0-To-R...#ht_1819wt_965
                    Last edited by ; January 12, 2010, 08:22 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

I seriously doubt that they are upgradeable. I had an RCS zone controller that had a firmware defect. The only way to fix it was to swap out the controller with a replacement.

Originally posted by mhog View Post
                      Are the older hardware versions completely upgradable with firmware to equal the newer shipped models?
                      HS: 2.5.0.60
                      Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
                      Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
                      Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
                      Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
                      Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
                      UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
                      Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

I use the Z wave adapter with the RS-485 heads
                        Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Originally posted by gearyt View Post
                          I use the Z wave adapter with the RS-485 heads
                          I was too, for a while. There were a few things I couldn't do that I wanted to like set the outside temperature on the wall unit via homeseer.

I contacted RCS and they said talk to ZenSys, who said talk to RCS, who said talk to ZenSys, who said it's not supported. It may have changed since then, and if so I'd switch back to zwave...

If not, I'd be happy to sell that zwave->rs485 adapter to someone who doesn't care about that feature.

ZWBT-485 for sale? Anyone know if you can set outside temperature via zwave->rs-485?
                          Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I agree. many things need to be done with both the RCS and HS ends
                            RCS is working some of the issues, you may want to contact them again
                            It is the most reliable interface I have
                            Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Working...
                            X