Outside Temperature Reading when I don't have a sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside Temperature Reading when I don't have a sensor

I am running RCS Serial version 2.4.0.2 and I am seeing a problem that I did not see with the prior release of the plug in. On one of my five TR40 thermostats I am getting an outside temperature reading of -33 degrees. Problem is that I don't have an outside sensor hooked up, and the thermostat associated with the outside temp reading does not indicate outside temperature on its local screen.

So the plug in is recording an outside temperature, even though the thermostat does not show it. This only occurs on the fifth of my 5 TR40's, that is the fifth one on the display list. The plug in shows the other 4 correctly, i.e. "no outside temp".

Is anyone else seeing this?

I manually set my outside temperature via a script, so the temperature is coming from another source at the moment. You might try sending a temperature to the thermostat and see if you can correct it. At the moment, I only have two thermostats hooked up, I have another eight waiting to be added. So far, the two are displaying correctly. Out of curiosity, is the thermostat screen that is incorrect, or one of the devices that holds all the data that is incorrect, or both? For whatever reason, I do have one device that quit updating, yet the thermostat screen itself is correct. Another thing that you might try to do is delete the thermostat, unload the plug in, reload the plug in, that re-add the thermostat. I've had some really screwy stuff happen to the plug-in at times if you change anything about the thermostat.
    HS: 2.5.0.60
    Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
    Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
    Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
    Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
    UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
    Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

If you want to send a temperature to a thermostat, you can use the following in a script, W11 is what is holding my outside temperature.

sub main()
      dim RCS
      set RCS=hs.plugin("RCS Serial Thermostats")
      call RCS.cmdsendcustom(1,"OT=" & hs.DeviceValue("W11"))
      call RCS.cmdsendcustom(2,"OT=" & hs.DeviceValue("W11"))
      end sub

Comment

Thanks for weighing in.

Just to be clear, the plug in is registering an outside temperature, even though I don't have an outside temp sensor. The TR40 thermostat does not have one connected and the thermostat does not indicate an external temperature sensor. However, one shows up in the plug in. This did not occur with the prior version of the plug in, so my guess is that it is a bug in the new plug in.

I did try deleting and re-adding the thermostat but unfortunately that did not fix the problem.

The bug could be regarding how the fifth thermostat is displayed since it only affects the fifth of five that I have.

Comment

I understand, I do not have any outside temperature sensors either. The thought was maybe you could try to set an outside temperature if you possibly get one from another source, such as an RSS feed. We can see if any others chime in with this issue. I know if another person that has twelve thermostats, so maybe he'll jump on here at some point. I'll eventually have ten thermostats as soon as I run some more wires, which is never fun :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jstaab View Post
            If you want to send a temperature to a thermostat, you can use the following in a script, W11 is what is holding my outside temperature.

sub main()
            dim RCS
            set RCS=hs.plugin("RCS Serial Thermostats")
            call RCS.cmdsendcustom(1,"OT=" & hs.DeviceValue("W11"))
            call RCS.cmdsendcustom(2,"OT=" & hs.DeviceValue("W11"))
            end sub
            To jstaab: Thank you for that script. I'm using Jon's NOAA weather plugin. NOAA updates every hour on the hour. I poll it 1 minutes after and send that data to the thermostats @ 2 minutes after. Works well and a lot cheaper than the serial OD temp sensors.

Comment

Working...
            X