Outdoor temp sensor as device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor temp sensor as device?

I'd like to add the outdoor temp sensor to my setup, but I'd like to have the temp shown in a device for HS (to use in events and such). It seems as though there are no devices created for the plugin...so I'm not sure how I'd get the temp info into a device. Is anyone doing this successfully?

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Ian,
    I'm not familiar with this plugin but if it doesn't create a device does it update a deviceString with the temp listed? If so you should be able to setup a recurring event to parse this temp our and post it to a virtual device.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

is there a way to "discover" if there is a devicestring or not? I'm pretty clueless about such things.
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

What I was imigining was there would be a device string listed in your status view that had something like the current setpoint, current temp, remote temp, etc. Then we could write a script to parse out the remote temp and post this to a virtual device. Do you have a status that looks like this from this stat?

Comment

You'll need to use a script to retrieve the outside temperature. See the following thread:
          http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...hlight=outdoor
          HS: 2.5.0.60
          Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
          Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
          Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
          Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
          UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
          Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Thanks for the link. I knew it had to be in the plugin somewhere. RJ made it a function within the plugin is even better.

Comment

Ok, so I looked at that thread, but i have to confess I'm script challenged. I see that getTemp or whatever is used, and then x,x is the zone and temp device. but how would i use that in an event to put the temp data into a virutal device, say y45?

sorry for bein' difficult :-)
              Plugins:

Comment

Try placing this in a script, .vb for the script extension....

Public Sub Main(ByVal parm as Object)
                Dim RCS
                Dim Temp
                RCS = hs.plugin("RCS Serial Thermostats")
                Temp = RCS.GetTemp(1,0)
                hs.SetDeviceValue("y45",temp)
                hs.SetDeviceString("y45",temp)
                End Sub

Comment

that worked, thanks!

to put the same thermostat's indoor temp into another device (say y46) i'd just ad another line to the script but it would be 1,1 instead of 1,0, right?
                  Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                    that worked, thanks!

to put the same thermostat's indoor temp into another device (say y46) i'd just ad another line to the script but it would be 1,1 instead of 1,0, right?
                    No you would duplicate these bolded lines for the device changing the H/U code.
                    Code:
                    Dim RCS
                    Dim Temp
                    Temp = RCS.GetTemp(1,0)
                    [B]hs.SetDeviceValue("y45",temp)
                    'for ex
                    hs.SetDeviceValue("A1",temp)
                    hs.SetDeviceString("A1",temp)

[/B]
                    End Sub

Comment

If your wanting the indoor temperature in another device, then your assumption is correct, change (below) as you mentioned, if your thermostat your wanting to read is indeed '1'. This is also assuming your talking about a zoned setup as well. If I recall correctly, the first digit is the zone controller, the second digit is the thermostat number.
                      Temp = RCS.GetTemp(1,1)

Comment

So, this is how I changed it, and it works great:

Dim RCS
                        Dim Temp
                        Dim Temp2
                        Temp = RCS.GetTemp(1,0)
                        hs.SetDeviceValue("y45",temp)
                        Temp2 = RCS.GetTemp(1,1)
                        hs.SetDeviceValue("y46",temp2)
                        hs.SetDeviceString("y46",temp2)
                        End Sub

so, now I'm wondering...would it be possible to create some other devices and have a script put in "mode" (heat/cool/off) and "fan" (auto/off).

Thanks,

Ian
                        Plugins:

Comment

I'm getting ready to walk out the door, so I don't have a link handy. But, if you search the board, within the past year or so I believe, there is a script posted that extracts the information your wanting and writes the into devices. This should get you started anyway. If you don't find it, when I get back, I'll track it down.

Comment

Working...
                          X