how to connect an outdoor temperature sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to connect an outdoor temperature sensor

I have a TR16 thermostat (WDU?) connected to a (TCU = thermostat control unit), connected to a 4 port rs485 converter. I got it as a set here:
    http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/...stats/TR16-485

I recently got the OS5 outdoor sensor (2 wire) from HS. I can't find any instructions on how to connect it. Should it connect to the 4 wire block where it says "sensor" on the thermostat? or should it connect to the "outside/outdoor" on the rs485 converter?

both of those areas have 4 wire connecting blocks, but the temp sensor is only two wire. would i connect one to a + connector, and the other to S, or A, or whatever?

Hoping to hear from someone who's done it before i go randomly putting wires in places.

thanks,

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

I found this document at RCS. These are addressable sensors, thus the four wire, two PS, 2 data. Looks like what you want is an OS10.
    Edit: Or RS15which is the indoor version.

Further search seems to indicate the OS5 is for a ZCVx Zone Controller.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wadenut; September 3, 2009, 06:14 AM.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Here's the manual for the OS10.

Note: The RS15 in the store is also an indoor sensor. The OS21 is outdoor (for CommStar Network Control Unit or RS485 Hub).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Wadenut; September 3, 2009, 06:26 AM.

Comment

RS21/OS21 manual:
        I think I'd stick with the OS10 for direct connection to the stat. The RS21/OS21 would require additional software.
        Attached Files

Comment

so, the OS5 that HS has for sale isn't compatible with what I have? If that's the case, i'll be needing to return it. Grrrr
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Well, the only place i can find selling one is automated outlet, they have them for aprox $120. that's $100 more than the os5!

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/...rmostats/OS10B

the one they have is an os10b, does that make a difference?

Maybe I should just get a $40 outdoor sensor for my 1 wire network. I liked the idea of having it be part of the RCS system, but not at that price. what do you guys think?
            Plugins:

Comment

I already have a Temp08, so to get this temp sensor with "moisture coating" and a box, I'm looking at $30 + shipping.

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...roducts_id=109
              Plugins:

Comment

I use a 1-wire sensor for the outside temperature. I then send the outsider temperature to the RCS zone controller and in addition, use some HS logic to change some settings on the zone controller based on the outside temperature.
                HS: 2.5.0.60
                Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
                Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
                Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
                Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
                Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
                UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
                Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Ian,
                  It occurs to me what you may want is a separately readable sensor.
                  This wouldn't work with the TStat anyway. Extra sensors connected to the RCS stats can be averaged together, or configured to over-ride the built in sensor in the WDU, both via DIP switches. They aren't available to be read separately.
                  If this is the case, 1-Wire if you have it already is the way to go. That, or an Oregon outdoor sensor.
                  Maybe you should have kept the weather station.
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                    Well, the only place i can find selling one is automated outlet, they have them for aprox $120. that's $100 more than the os5!

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/...rmostats/OS10B

the one they have is an os10b, does that make a difference?

Maybe I should just get a $40 outdoor sensor for my 1 wire network. I liked the idea of having it be part of the RCS system, but not at that price. what do you guys think?
                    The RCS outdoor sensors didn't make sense for my home system due to cost & accessibility of the wiring runs. Instead I read it from a 1-wire sensor and use a recurring event to transmit it to the thermostats so that it can be displayed.

Comment

i am actually wanting to get rid of the weatherstation because of several reasons. the usb serial adapteris causing bsod on my system. also, i don't use the weather station info for anything ''critical'' so i figured if i get rid of it, i'm eliminating a plugin, vws software, heavy weather software, etc. so i ordered the outdoor 1 wire sensor.

thanks!
                      Plugins:

Comment

Working...
                      X