Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is RCS TR40 RS-485 Supported using HS3 RCS Serial Plugin - Plugin now working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dom View Post
    Mike as far as I know this has never worked with more than 1 thermostat.
    I'm confused. I thought that had been fixed. Post #64 seems to show three thermostats working in the HS3 plug-in.

Okay. I looked more closely at post 64 and see that only one is populated with data.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

• The current RCS Serial plugin for HS3 is pretty much worthless.

I think sdwinkleman's modified version did pick up some functionality but still does not enable anything over one thermostat due to thermostat addressing methodology and related issues. Same goes for zone controller addressing issues.

Only current solution is run HS2 and HS3 concurrently and use Jon00's HS2 to HS3 connector to import HS2 thermostat data into HS3.

Otherwise you need new non-serial hardware. In my case $100 per stat (x6) plus $350 zone controller that supports z-wave stats.

Any rewrite of HS3 serial RCS plugin by Homeseer is likely very low priority due to end of life for serial based hardware.

Comment

• Originally posted by cbryan View Post
        Only current solution is run HS2 and HS3 concurrently and use Jon00's HS2 to HS3 connector to import HS2 thermostat data into HS3.
        That's pretty much what I'm doing, except that I can't use Jon's connector (it crashes my HS2 system ). I just exchange info between the two systems with csv files and avoid the need for instantaneous updates between the two. It's working, but adds overhead to every change I make.
        Any rewrite of HS3 serial RCS plugin by Homeseer is likely very low priority . . .
        Agreed. I was hoping a user with SW experience might be able to fix it, but maybe not. I will probably buy new TStats at some point, even if the plug-in did work. This may accelerate it.

Thanks for the confirmation. It was your post that confused me initally. I didn't look closely enough at the screen shot to notice that only one Tstat was populated with data.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

• I have only 1 (TR40) thermostat and have had some success testing with the sdwinkelman plug-in (thank you very much). The downloaded HST version is totally worthless. I am however struggling with the scripting object model and was wondering if anyone has had any success getting (and/or writing) values from a thermostat in HS3?

Per guidance from Uncle Michael, I have tried this plugin form:
          Const strRCS = "RCS Serial Thermostats"' HS RCS Thermostat Object Name
          Dim dblRC AsDouble = hs.PluginFunction(strRCS, "", "GetTemp", NewObject() {1, 2})

While it does not generate an exception, it only returns zero. I am not sure what values the parameters should specify, but I have tried a wide variety from 0 to 2 and all permutations return zero.

Here is some log debug data from the plugin, if it helps. I get none from the script execution.
          Mar-27 04:23:47 PM RCSStat DEBUG Processing Data - A=0 O=1 SC=1
          Mar-27 04:23:47 PM RCSStat DEBUG RCS Status = Idle
          Mar-27 04:23:47 PM RCSStat DEBUG Processing Data - A=0 O=1 H1A=0 H2A=0 H3A=0 C1A=0 C2A=0 FA=0 SCP=00
          Mar-27 04:23:47 PM RCSStat DEBUG Processing Data - A=0 O=1 Z=1 T=74 SP=71 SPH=71 SPC=76 M=A FM=0
          Mar-27 04:23:47 PM RCSStat DEBUG Recieving Data: A=0 O=1 Z=1 T=74 SP=71 SPH=71 SPC=76 M=A FM=0 A=0 O=1 H1A=0 H2A=0 H3A=0 C1A=0 C2A=0 FA=0 SCP=00 A=0 O=1 SC=1
          Mar-27 04:23:47 PM RCSStat DEBUG Received Bytes: 112
          Mar-27 04:23:47 PM RCSStat DEBUG Transmitting Data: A=1 O=0 DOW=1
          Mar-27 04:23:46 PM RCSStat DEBUG Transmitting Data: A=1 O=0 TIME=16:23:45
          Mar-27 04:23:46 PM RCSStat DEBUG Transmitting Data: A=1 O=0 DATE=03/27/16
          Mar-27 04:23:46 PM RCSStat DEBUG Transmitting Data: A=1 O=0 SC=?
          Mar-27 04:23:46 PM RCSStat DEBUG Transmitting Data: A=1 O=0 R=2
          Mar-27 04:23:45 PM RCSStat DEBUG Transmitting Data: A=1 O=0 R=1
          Mar-27 04:23:45 PM RCSStat DEBUG Poll: Time: 3/27/2016 04:23:45 PM

Thanks
          Gary

Comment

• Gary,
            If you don't have a second temp sensor on your thermostat, I would expect that request to return zero.

Comment

• Anybody had any luck with Zone Controllers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                Gary,
                If you don't have a second temp sensor on your thermostat, I would expect that request to return zero.
                Yes, and not only that, I had the name of the Plugin wrong. It is not the same as in HS2, it's HS3 name is RCSStat. So I corrected those errors and tried again with:

Const strRCS = "RCSStat"
                Dim dblRC AsDouble = hs.PluginFunction(strRCS, "", "GetTemp", NewObject() {1, 1})

It still returns zero but I do get an error (at least):

Mar-28 02:10:34 PM RCSStat ERROR Method GetTemp does not exist in this plugin.

I tried various methods from the 2006 RCS API guide and the results were all the same (Method does not exist). Additionally, I tried both the sdwinkelman plugin and the HST version, with the same results. I can safely conclude that my HS3 migration is pretty much dead since this plugin has to work before I can move my 1wire, temperature sensors, etc. For the foreseeable future, I guess I am stuck running both HS2 & HS3 on the same PC. On the other hand, I did free up a lot of (re)development time.

Gary

Comment

• As I recall, most of the functions of the thermostat are available as device properties or as event actions. Are you sure you need scripting calls? What are you looking to do that will require scripting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    As I recall, most of the functions of the thermostat are available as device properties or as event actions. Are you sure you need scripting calls? What are you looking to do that will require scripting?
                    Yeah, its possible that would work and I may revisit that direction. The main reason I went the script route, some years ago, was flexibility in changing (Heat/Cool) modes, based on temperature. Each time the mode needs to be changed, I reset the TStat set points, mainly because my Heat & Cool temps are so close together. I also have two dampers under 1wire control, that are opened or closed depending on mode. As long as the TStat events fire reliably, I suspect I can get the damper control to work as is. At this point, I am not sure how much more effort I want to put into this plugin. Obviously, if problems develop down the road, it will be just more lost effort since there is no support and function is suspect.

I may (finally) look into ZWave, which of course is what HST wants us folks with dated HW (X10, serial, etc.) to do. If I decide to go that route, I doubt I will be buying from HST.

Again, thanks much for your feedback, its greatly appreciated.

Gary

Comment

• This is what I ended up doing. The Z-Wave stats work pretty good with a Honeywell HZ432 controller and in some respects it's better than the ZCV4. RCS controllers don't play well with dual fuel systems, which is what we have. The response time is good, but the Trane stats don't automatically update settings, aside from the room temp. So a change at the the T-stat means you have to wait for the next poll command in order to see the change registered in HS. In my HS2 set-up that is currently set for 60 seconds, but I'm pondering going to 30 seconds. The thermostats are the only Z-wave devices I have and I think that all the stats can update in a stand on 30 seconds, maybe even 20.

My ZCV4 equipment is lying around with no interested buyers. If anyone has interest in trying to get the HS3 plug-in working with it, then I will gladly loan them to the cause.

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post

I may (finally) look into ZWave, which of course is what HST wants us folks with dated HW (X10, serial, etc.) to do. If I decide to go that route, I doubt I will be buying from HST.

Again, thanks much for your feedback, its greatly appreciated.

Gary

Comment

• Anyone have a way to test Connect Status on this Plugin?

From time to time, if I reboot or have a power glitch, I will lose connection between the HS3 system and the RCS thermostat. There's no indicator of whether there is a good connection in the plug-in, so if the HVAC fan is off, I usually set the fan from Auto to On to see if it reacts and that's how I know the connection is live.

Is there a better way? Sure would be nice if this plugin gave some affirmation of a good connection to the T-Stat like other serial and USB plug-ins can.

Comment

• I think your scheme is as good as any - except buying a new thermostat that has a supported plug-in . I wouldn't count on any further changes to this plug-in.

Comment

• In the HS2 version there was a 'last update' device that I used to verify comms. I got Rich to fix this so it actually worked right before the HS2 version was abandoned. Possibly this did not make it into the HS3 version? I have not used the HS3 version.

Comment

• Hello,

I have a network of RCS thermostats with 485 communication. I would like to know if they could finally solve the news that they were presenting.

I appreciate the collaboration that you can give me

Comment

Working...
                              X