Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is RCS TR40 RS-485 Supported using HS3 RCS Serial Plugin - Plugin now working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downloaded HS2 today and installed it on a test system. I was able to have it read all the X10, flag, variable, and security settings from my StarGate, which was nice. The StarGate (SG) is also able to run the thermostat on RS485, but the HS2 plug-in doesn't have provisions to talk to that through the SG. I haven't tried the direct RS485 via converter from HS2. I really don't want to replace my T-stat just because SW doesn't support it correctly. I've downloaded an RS232 capture utility in an effort to debug what is (or rather, is not) going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
      It took years for HS to fix serious defects in this plug-in for HS2. It's not flawless but it can be used now. See this thread for the last unofficial version before it was abandoned:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=156922
      Hi Mountainman,

I've been a HomeSeer user since July 2001 and can agree that it was a slow process for the HS2 plug-in, but in the end, it did work perfectly - at least in my environment. Even the earlier HS2 versions worked better than this HS3 version.

I don't recall seeing anything indicating it being discontinued (serial version), though I did see that the X10 version was "open sourced". My frustration stems from the complete lack of communication on the issue. If its no longer being developed, say so officially, and "open source" it as well. Otherwise, treat it as an important issue to resolve and let the customers who upgraded to HS3 (in large part based on what we were told would be ported over) know what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
        I downloaded HS2 today and installed it on a test system. I was able to have it read all the X10, flag, variable, and security settings from my StarGate, which was nice. The StarGate (SG) is also able to run the thermostat on RS485, but the HS2 plug-in doesn't have provisions to talk to that through the SG. I haven't tried the direct RS485 via converter from HS2. I really don't want to replace my T-stat just because SW doesn't support it correctly. I've downloaded an RS232 capture utility in an effort to debug what is (or rather, is not) going on.
        dzee,

I'd be interested to compare notes on your serial port capture & see if you report the same difference I see. Also, is your setup a single thermostat or multiple thermostat(zoned)?
        Last edited by sdwinkelman; April 6, 2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Open Sourced!

I emailed Rich over the weekend and asked the plug-in to be "open sourced" if they were not expecting to have time to develop this any further. He responded quickly, adding it to their GitHub repository earlier today. (Thank you, Rich!)

I spent the past several hours working with it, and made changes based on my own log/serial line captures and feedback from other users and now have it working properly with my setup (single thermostat RS485 TR40). This includes setting status from within HS and seeing changes made at the thermostat itself - including the current temperature. :-)

Now to be clear, I have not previously worked with plug-ins for any version of HS but am a .net developer, so please appreciate that I am just now learning the various aspects of HS plug-ins as well as the specifics of this particular plug-in.

If anyone is interested in testing this out, I'm happy to post a compiled version of my quick-fix and detail out what I changed. I did add some logic to synchronize the time each time the thermostat is polled (not the ideal approach, but my TR40 clock is terribly inaccurate) and to set the outside temperature from the locally reported temperature from Weather XML. I can easily create a version without one or both additions, since it won't be appropriate for everyone.

While this is far from anything I'd call a real fix, it certainly eases my own frustrations. I plan on continuing to work with it and see where it goes. Hopefully others will download it from GitHub and contribute as well.

Comment

Wow sdwinkelman that's outstanding. Will you be posting the fix because I'd like to try it out next weekend.

Comment

Quick-Fix

dzee,

Here you go - remember, it's a "quick fix" so be warned! ;-)

Close HS and either save or rename your current HSPI_RCSSERIAL.EXE file and copy this one in its place. (Should be at C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3 or whatever location HS3 is installed). If it doesn't work, you can easily go back to your previous one, but I believe it will be a vast improvement.

This one has the two additions I mentioned. If you have an external temperature sensor, it should use it, if not it will look for a device named "Current Temperature" and use that instead.

Please let me know how it works for you. I'll probably have a revision in the next week or so.

Thanks!
              Last edited by sdwinkelman; April 12, 2015, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I also would LOVE to try the plug-in.. and if interested, I would be glad to post the suggested enhancements they were not interested in !

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE EFFORT !!!
                Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

External Temp shows -1, turned off my event to ping the stat
                  I do have an external sensor, but not currently connected.

Comment

gearyt,

Thanks for testing it out. Aside from the Ext Temp, is everything else working well?

Since device names & locations are different for everyone's setup, I'll need to handle the Ext Temp a bit differently, perhaps allowing a device to be set as its source on the config page if a sensor isn't present.

I'd love to see what the requested features/fixes are - I suppose now would be the time for me to start thinking about it all.

Thanks!

Comment

i'll know more in a couple of days from running it.

I need to relook at the feature of the TR40/60 to remember the suggested features, but

1) icon for fan needs to be changed, shows fire when in auto mode ( same icon as heat/cool )
                      2) ability to write to display
                      3) icon for filter reset
                      4) Fan active status

found the specs, see below

check the old forum, guys were having problems with the multi/controller configuration

G
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by gearyt; April 7, 2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Here is the old site, w/ specs for the communication

http://www.rcstechnology.com/oldsite...0-00225-43.pdf

Comment

maint times would be cool..
                          Attached Files

Comment

!!!!!!! GREAT !!!!!!!

It is responsive ! Change a setting, and both reflect !

Hope it was really hard after all the fighting I did w/ HS !

Hope the others who were having problems with multiple stats find this thread

Comment

Found the old thread !!

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162454

Comment

Excellent sdwinkelman!
                                I only had a chance to try it for a few minutes last night but the polling worked for my single TR16, which didn't before. I'll be able to test it better when the weekend is here.
                                jim

Comment

Working...
                                X