Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Home Integration

Hi,

I am trying to get the thermostat to properly appear in Google Home so that it can be controlled. Unfortunately it is like it is finding the Target Temperature as the room/ambient temperature. (Target temperature should probably not be defined as Thermostat Temperature, should be either setpoint/generic point. Google Home I believe looks to find one set-point type point, and one temperature type point, and finding more than one under a thermostat is seemingly screwing it up. Can this be fixed in a future release?

Thanks

Originally posted by JoelWener View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to get the thermostat to properly appear in Google Home so that it can be controlled. Unfortunately it is like it is finding the Target Temperature as the room/ambient temperature. (Target temperature should probably not be defined as Thermostat Temperature, should be either setpoint/generic point. Google Home I believe looks to find one set-point type point, and one temperature type point, and finding more than one under a thermostat is seemingly screwing it up. Can this be fixed in a future release?

Thanks
    Hi,
    I don't use Google Home so it might take a bit of trial and error to get it to work how you want. I use HSTouch and have custom screens for my VStats so the DeviceType settings aren't used. I couldn't find any definitive documentation on the various settings so the way I currently set them up in the plug-in probably doesn't suit how HS3 interacts with Google Home.
    I will have a bit of a think about it and perhaps post some scripts so you can experiment with different DeviceType settings. If we can find what works then I can change the plug-in to suit.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Hi,
      I don't use Google Home so it might take a bit of trial and error to get it to work how you want. I use HSTouch and have custom screens for my VStats so the DeviceType settings aren't used. I couldn't find any definitive documentation on the various settings so the way I currently set them up in the plug-in probably doesn't suit how HS3 interacts with Google Home.
      I will have a bit of a think about it and perhaps post some scripts so you can experiment with different DeviceType settings. If we can find what works then I can change the plug-in to suit.

Steve
      Having thought more about this I don't know whether the Device_Types and SubTypes will have any affect on the interaction with Google Home, it is more likely to be the ControlUse of the Value Status pairs. Documentation seems a bit sparse on all of this but more ControlUse properties appear to have been added to HS since I wrote the pi. I think these have been added as Alexa, GoogleHome and HS Mobile interaction have been developed. You can change the ControlUse properties for a device on the 'Status Graphics' tab. There are more possible settings for this in the dropdown list than there are in the HS Documentation so I will be interested to know what you find out. If you can find settings that make it work the way you want I can change the pi to reconfigure the devices.

If you want to try out different variations of DeviceType and SubType I have attached a script which you could use. I suggest you back everything up before you start testing and I would also suggest you create a new VStat to play with rather than using any that you have already setup. You shouldn't be able to do too much damage that way and you can delete the extra VStat once you are finished.

SetThermostatAPIDeviceType.zip

To use the script save the file in your '/scripts' folder and call it from a manually triggered event.
      You need to specify 4 parameters split with the '|' character. The first parameter is the RefID of the child device, the 2nd parameter is the DeviceAPI (16 for Thermostat), the 3rd is the DeviceType and the 4th is the SubType. The numbers for the different parameters can be found in the relevant section of the HS3 help file i.e.
      http://help.homeseer.com/help/HS3/static/#.edeviceapi
      http://help.homeseer.com/help/HS3/st...ype_thermostat
      http://help.homeseer.com/help/HS3/st...device_subtype

Example event:

Click image for larger version  Name:	SetThermostatAPIDeviceType Event.JPG Views:	1 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	1257314
      At the moment the pi sets up the various child devices for each VStat as follows:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Current Settings.JPG Views:	1 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	1257315

However, when I look at the advanced tab of a typical device it doesn't show anything for the SubType which is strange. I am not aware of whether HS uses any of these settings as they certainly don't effect the operation of the plug-in or how it works in HSTouch custom screens. They probably effect how it would show in the default HSTouch project but I've never found that any use.

Let me know how you get on or if you need any help to test out the above. If you find any settings that work I can change the pi to re-configure the VStats.

Steve

Comment

Hi,

Changing the Target Temperature point from type Thermostat Temperature, to Setpoint seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by JoelWener View Post
          Hi,

Changing the Target Temperature point from type Thermostat Temperature, to Setpoint seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks again.
          That's useful to know. Did you set a SubType?
          I guess it makes sense as the target temperature represents the current active SetPoint.
          I will change this in the next version of the plug-in and update existing VStats.

For interest please can you outline how VStats appear in Google Home and in what ways you are interacting.

Thanks,
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Hi,

Steve
            Hi Steve
            Do you have any images of you HSTOUCH setup for VStats? im starting my own, would be good to get some ideas.

Any issues i should watch out for while setting them up?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Techn0 View Post

Hi Steve
              Do you have any images of you HSTOUCH setup for VStats? im starting my own, would be good to get some ideas.

Any issues i should watch out for while setting them up?

Thanks

Here is a typical VStat in my projects. Not very pretty but functional and Wife and Family understand how to use them. I use different colours for different VStats around the house and hide the more detailed things like SetPoint adjustments on some screens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VStat HSTouch Snapshot.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1262084

I can't think of any issues creating the screens in HSTouch designer. Because the VStats have child devices for all the parameters it is easy to set up buttons or labels to control and/or track any of the values.

Steve

Comment

It doesn’t appears clear to me. Is it posible for Google Home to integrate the Vstats by using the script in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Mario from Spain View Post
                  It doesn’t appears clear to me. Is it posible for Google Home to integrate the Vstats by using the script in this thread?
                  Hi Mario,

I don't use Google Home so I can't answer. JoelWener appeared to imply, further up this thread, that he had it working but didn't respond with specific details.
                  I'm happy to update the plug-in if somebody can provide information on what settings are necessary to enable successful Google Home/HS3 integration.

For voice control I use Alexa but I don't use the Smarthome skill. I use Jon00's Alexa Skill Helper which allows me to voice control and receive responses for any aspects of VStats I want without any of the limitations of the standard Alexa implementation.

I suspect the standard thermostat integration is more to do with ControlUse settings than DeviceTypes. However, I hope to have some time over the Christmas break to do some experimentation. I will test out integration with the Alexa SmartHome skill and if I can get that to work then Google Home will probably work too.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X