Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to add maximum temperature sensor for floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to add maximum temperature sensor for floor?

Hi Steve,
    I have underfloor electric heating in our living room, with wooden floor (parquet). I'm using a real z-wave thermostat (HeatIt) with floor sensor, but the internal air sensor for the thermostat is totally useless.
    Therefor I wanted to try SDJ-Vstat to combine the HeatIt with other temperature sensors in the room (using a virtual device that find the average). The wooden floor should not have a temperature over 27 degrees C/81 F (floor sensor) or the warrenty is lost, but when using the on/off device directly the internal maximum temperature setting in the HeatIt thermostat (27 C/81 F) is neglected and suddenly I had over 29 C. Would it be possible to add also this secondary temperature reading (floor sensor) and setting a maximum temperature setting?

I know it's possible to achieve this with some events, but having all the control in the plugin is a way better solution.

Originally posted by iceball View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I have underfloor electric heating in our living room, with wooden floor (parquet). I'm using a real z-wave thermostat (HeatIt) with floor sensor, but the internal air sensor for the thermostat is totally useless.
    Therefor I wanted to try SDJ-Vstat to combine the HeatIt with other temperature sensors in the room (using a virtual device that find the average). The wooden floor should not have a temperature over 27 degrees C/81 F (floor sensor) or the warrenty is lost, but when using the on/off device directly the internal maximum temperature setting in the HeatIt thermostat (27 C/81 F) is neglected and suddenly I had over 29 C. Would it be possible to add also this secondary temperature reading (floor sensor) and setting a maximum temperature setting?

I know it's possible to achieve this with some events, but having all the control in the plugin is a way better solution.
    Hi iceball,

I've given this some thought and whilst I can see that it would nice to wrap this into the plug-in the reality is that it would be difficult to do. Whilst the logic is relatively simple, having a second sensor with a different SetPoint within a single VStat would be a major change to the framework of the plug-in. It would need to be something that a lot of users needed to make the work worthwhile but I think this is a rather specific use case.

It should be simple to do with probably only 2 events for any VStat. If I was doing it I would probably use the 'Windows' (Open/Closed Windows) function of the VStats to prevent the overheating case you are describing.

I haven't tested this but for any particular VStat controlling a zone which is heated by underfloor heating, I would have 2 events something like:

1st event
    If the Zone1 floor sensor has its value set and it is greater than 26.5
    And If the Zone1 VStat Windows device is Closed
    Then Set the Zone1 VStat Windows device to Open

2nd event
    If the Zone1 floor sensor has its value set and it is less than 26.5
    And If the Zone1 VStat Windows device is Open
    Then Set the Zone1 VStat Windows device to Closed

You might need to fiddle a bit with the temperature value as I can't remember off hand whether HS treats the exact value as greater than or less than or neither. You might need to use less than 26.6.

The VStat will drop its target temperature by a configurable amount, effectively turning the heating off, when the Windows child is set to Open and restore the target temperature when it is set back to Closed. This works whatever the operating mode happens to be at the time.

I hope this helps,
    Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, excellent solution for a not that big problem. I understand the impact it would cause, just wanted to check. I got 6 other under floor thermostats with tiles and now problems there!

Comment

Working...
      X