Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request - Ecobee Temp Readings

Hello,

Just finished setting up an Ecobee thermostat with a handful of room sensors (using Spud's Ecobee plugin), however one of the rooms does not actually have any heat. My plan was to put a smart switch + a micro furnace and control with Vstat.

However the Ecobee room sensors don't seem to show up in VStat, is this something that can be added?

Included some screenshots for reference.

Thank you,
    Last edited by Atticka; March 4, 2019, 10:41 AM. Reason: Redundant sentence

Originally posted by Atticka View Post
    Hello,

Just finished setting up an Ecobee thermostat with a handful of room sensors (using Spud's Ecobee plugin), however one of the rooms does not actually have any heat. My plan was to put a smart switch + a micro furnace and control with Vstat.

However the Ecobee room sensors don't seem to show up in VStat, is this something that can be added?

Included some screenshots for reference.

Thank you,
    Hi Atticka,

Yes, no problem
    Paste a screenshot of the advanced tab of one of the Ecobee temperature child devices so I can see how the Device Type (string) is set and I will update the pi so it adds those to the list of available temperature sensors.

Steve

Comment

Sure thing, attached,

Comment

Originally posted by Atticka View Post
        Sure thing, attached,
        Hmmm, as the Device Type (string) is just 'Ecobee' and none of the Device Type Internal parameters are set to represent temperature sensors I will suggest a work around for this. I suspect the Ecobee child devices are all set the same way so if I add the Device Type to the list of recognised temp sensors, all the Ecobee children will appear in the lists not just the temp sensors.

The easiest way to add the Ecobee temp sensor to the list is to add the word Temperature to the Device Type (string) so it reads 'Ecobee Temperature'. I use the Device Type (string) for the very reason that it can be edited by the user. Just click on the text box and edit the string.

If you then go to the SDJ-VStat/Config page you will find that the sensor will appear in the lists of available sensors that you can select from. Once selected it will stick, even if the Device Type (string) of the sensor is later changed. It is only used to preselect which devices show in the lists so you can select it. So, if necessary you could edit the Device Type (string) back to 'Ecobee'. This would only be necessary if the Ecobee plug-in uses this for any reason, which is highly unlikely. Generally plug-ins don't use the Device Type (string) because it can be easily changed by the user. Most plug-ins do however set it to a description of the type of child device when they create it.

Let me know how you get on.

Steve

Comment

Worked like a charm! Renamed the device as well for ease of use and we're up and running.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X