Use of Temperature Sensors From Nest Thermostats to set average

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of Temperature Sensors From Nest Thermostats to set average

Hi, Installed and looks Promising, In order to set Virtual stat - it will not allow me to access Ambient Temps from Nest Thermostat's ( Not remotes Sensors) but main Thermostats.
    I am using Spud's Nest Plugin. Is there a file that needs to be changed.

Originally posted by rmies1 View Post
    Hi, Installed and looks Promising, In order to set Virtual stat - it will not allow me to access Ambient Temps from Nest Thermostat's ( Not remotes Sensors) but main Thermostats.
    I am using Spud's Nest Plugin. Is there a file that needs to be changed.
    If you can you post a screenshot of the Advanced tab of one of your Ambient Temp child devices I will sort it.

Steve

Comment

Steve, thanks for your response here we go The nest Thermostats advanced tab
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Nest advanced Tab.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1306972

Comment

Steve, thanks for your response here we go The nest Thermostats advanced tab
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Nest advanced Tab.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1306972
        Ok. The easiest way to be able to use that child device as a temperature sensor for a VStat is to add the word Temperature to the Device Type (String). It is user editable so just click on the text box for the Device Type (String) and change 'Nest' to 'Nest Temperature', no quotes. If you then go to the SDJ-VStat Config page you should find that device available in the list of devices you can select for Internal Temperature Sensor(s), or indeed External Temperature Sensor. You can select more than one Internal Temperature Sensor for each VStat and have the current temperature calculated from the Lowest, Average or Highest.

This method is only used as a way of limiting the size of the selection lists so once you have associated the device or devices with the VStats you can change the Device Type (String) back to 'Nest' if you want. There is a small possibility that the Nest plug-in might use this string, although it is highly unlikely. Normally plug-ins don't use the string for anything because it can be changed by the user. Conversely that is the very reason I use it, but only as a filter for the selection lists.

Let me know how you get on.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

That worked much appreciated. !!! Now I have two questions
          1. Is it possible to control the setpoint on one Thermostat that controls my HVAC as temps change during the course of operation?
          2. Is there a guide or manual for plugin, I can download.

Thanks

Rocky

Comment

That worked much appreciated. !!! Now I have two questions
            1. Is it possible to control the setpoint on one Thermostat that controls my HVAC as temps change during the course of operation?
            2. Is there a guide or manual for plugin, I can download.
            Hi Rocky,

1. The VStats are virtual thermostats so aren't intended to control the setpoints of a physical thermostat. They control ON/Off devices which might be controlling say a boiler, pump, valve or fan for example. I suppose you could use an event to control a setpoint device based on the Target Temperature child of a VStat. You would need to trigger when the value changes and use an EasyTrigger action (or script command) to set the SetPoint to the value of the Target Temperature. Perhaps if you give a little more detail about what you are trying to achieve I might be able to make some suggestions.

2. The plug-in installs a pdf guide in the /docs folder of your HS3 installation. It is also available in a sticky at the top of this subforum
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/th...j/109253-guide

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X