Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa integration

Hi,
    I have discovered that Alexa will discover my devices, that are Zwave but not plugin related.
    I am trialling SDJ-Vstat and nothing I seem to do will add a device to the app, I just want to be able to say "Alexa Heating temperature 25" as I do with Domoticz but cant seem to add the temperature. any help appreciated.
    I will also cross post this in the the Cloud forum too as it concerns both the items

Originally posted by Alarm_guy1 View Post
    Hi,
    I have discovered that Alexa will discover my devices, that are Zwave but not plugin related.
    I am trialling SDJ-Vstat and nothing I seem to do will add a device to the app, I just want to be able to say "Alexa Heating temperature 25" as I do with Domoticz but cant seem to add the temperature. any help appreciated.
    I will also cross post this in the the Cloud forum too as it concerns both the items
    I haven't had any success with the main Homeseer Alexa skill and thermostats, although I probably didn't try hard enough. I do use Alexa, amongst other methods, to control and request information from my VStats but I use a custom skill and Jon00's excellent Homeseer/Echo skill helper. That enables me to fully customise the Alexa conversations, although the slight downside is having to say 'Alexa ask Homeseer to..'.

Mostly my interactions are through custom HSTouch screens, although generally the VStats are controlled automatically by schedules and occupancy events.

Steve.

Comment

cheers, i'll keep plodding along im sure I will get there, we have just become used to saying Alexa Heating temperature 21 and it just upping or downing... maybe in the future it will come

Comment

Not sure if this will help but I have had success creating a HS device as a simple switch with "On" and "Off" options.
        I then made sure it was checked with "Voice Command".

My Alexa found this device
        Then I created two events "Patio lights on" and "Patio lights off" that would be triggered if the HS device was turned on or off. These events actually controlled the end points.

I all works nicely. "Alexa patio lights on" will then switch the HS switch to "On" and that triggers the event that does the actual work.

Admittedly "Alexa turn up the heating" is a bit different because you are not asking for a binary option.

In any case, I hope that is of some help.
        /Marcus

Comment

Hi Steve, your plugin's virtual stats (v3.0.9.6) do have signs of being compatible with Alexa....

I enabled the top level object...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	top.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1349983
          ...for a voice name, i.e. "Ball Room", and ticked the Voice Command option...

Name:	top set.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1349984
          ...and Alexa could see the Device. then if I set the Vstat to something like Hold, or Away, Day, or Night. Then I can say..."ALEXA, Set Ball Room to Auto". And Alexa successfully sets the Vstat back to auto....

Name:	set-to-auto.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1349985

I then Said, "ALEXA, Set the Ball Room to 24 Degrees", she response confidently and says she has done it, but there is an error in the logs saying there was a formating issue...

Name:	set to 24 error.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1349986

Undeterred I undid the Voice Settings on the top level Vstat object and instead gave the Target Temperature a Voice Command name, like Ball Room and checked the Voice command option....

Name:	target temp.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1349981

Name:	set to21.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1349982

This time she does successfully control this field by saying, "Alexa, set the ball room to 21 degrees".....But of course you now loose the ability to set the mode back to Auto.

Is this something in Development? Happy to help test etc.

P.S the rest of Beta v3.0.9.6 looks great!

Merry Christmas,
          Deano,
          (UK-London)

Comment

Originally posted by dean View Post
            Hi Steve, your plugin's virtual stats (v3.0.9.6) do have signs of being compatible with Alexa....

Is this something in Development? Happy to help test etc.
            Hi Deano,

Sorry for the late response on this.

I did do a lot of experimenting, around 3.0.8.7. to try and get Alexa to recognise the VStats as Thermostats without a great deal of success. HS is rather scant on what settings are used in the Alexa integration for thermostats, at least I couldn't find the info. Also, not having a ZWave thermostat to compare with, I don't actually know what a thermostat looks like in Alexa and what commands it accepts. With some trial and error I did get things set up so that the VStats are correctly represented in the HS Mobile App and the HSTouch default project. However, HS Mobile up and down buttons for temperature only work in whole number increments which for Celsius scale is too course, but I can't change that. Same for the default HSTouch project. The representation of thermostats in the standard Apps is a bit limited so schedules aren't going to show nor things like Boost nor the increase and decrease buttons which work at 0.5 degrees.

I mainly use custom HSTouch screens to represent and control my VStats in HS which allows me to display all the information and interact in any way that I want. I have android tablets in a couple of locations in the house and also I use old iPhones (3gs, 4s and 5s) mounted on walls which work as great Thermostat touch screens.
            I also do use Alexa for voice control but using a custom skill and Jon00's Alexa Helper so that I can set up control and responses for any aspects of the VStats I want. Although it works great we tend to use voice control less and less, although the grand kids like it!

If there any changes I can make to improve Alexa integration I would be happy to do it but I'm not actively pursuing it at the moment. It is something I will probably revisit when developing a native HS4 version of the pi.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X