Error under HS4 (SOLVED in 3.1.0.5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post

metkhoo I don't really use the plugin too much but I've noticed that error so I thought I would bring it up to Steve's attention. Not sure if it really affects functionality of the plug-in or not.
    Hi Charles, the issue is only with reading the PED data from the VStats. The actual operation of the VStats is fine. However, if the PED isn't read correctly then all configuration data, e.g. assigned sensors, control and schedules is lost so essentially the VStat won't work. I am trying to pin down what causes it to occur in the release versions of HS4 so I can get HST to fix it or I come up with a work round.

Steve

Comment

Charles_cz metkhoo stvjfp1
      I'll keep you informed of how I get on trying to pin down the issue in the sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum.
      ​​​​​​​Steve

Comment

SteveMSJ Hi Steve, just wanted to let you know that I am getting different error after latest update. It is still related to PED but different error. Not sure if it helps but I wanted to let you know.

7/8/2020 7:41:41 PM

Legacy-Plugin
        SDJ-VStat
        ERROR - Reading PEData Rec Room - BSMT D - Conversion from type 'Boolean(,)' to type 'Single' is not valid.

Comment

SteveMSJ Hi Steve, just wanted to let you know that I am getting different error after latest update. It is still related to PED but different error. Not sure if it helps but I wanted to let you know.

7/8/2020 7:41:41 PM

Legacy-Plugin
          SDJ-VStat
          ERROR - Reading PEData Rec Room - BSMT D - Conversion from type 'Boolean(,)' to type 'Single' is not valid.
          Yes, its related to the same issue where HS4 is clearing the PED data from each VStat parent device on some systems. I'm pretty sure it is something to do with the HS4 conversion from the database to json strings for storage. I have reported it all to HST bit I don't anticipate a quick fix from them.

I don't have any issues with my SDJ-Health pi which also stores lots of information in PED, so it would seem to be something unique to the SDJ-VStat PED. I have some suspicions over a data type I used which might be something highlighting a bug in HST's conversion process. I will do some experimenting this weekend to see if I can develop a work round which is a quicker way of resolving the issue than waiting for HST who are probably a bit overloaded at the moment.

I will keep updating the sticky thread at the top of this subforum.

Steve.

Comment

Charles_cz stvjfp1
            Any chance you could try the beta to see if it fixes the issue for you?

Steve

3.1.0.5 BETA.

Backup first because this is a beta.

Ideally you upgrade to this version and let it run and convert devices before upgrading to HS4. If you are still running HS3 as production then you can do that and then import your database into HS4. Make sure you don’t have an older version running in HS4 before importing the upgraded databse.

If you are already running HS4 as production and don’t want to step back to your last HS3 database, then try updating the pi to the beta in HS4 and enabling it. Hopefully you can then get to the config page (note it takes 15-20 seconds after enabling before the config page can be accessed). Your existing VStats should be there but you will need to reconfigure them, e.g. sensors, controls, schedules, etc. They should then save and reload ok in HS4.

It works on my 3 test systems although the original worked on 2 of them anyway so I’m only tentatively optimistic.

Comment

I can do that for you but it will be tonight. I am still running HS3. HS4 is not ready for prime time. I will update plugin under HS3 and then I will do upgrade to HS4 on my test system.

I'll let you know.

Comment

I can do that for you but it will be tonight. I am still running HS3. HS4 is not ready for prime time. I will update plugin under HS3 and then I will do upgrade to HS4 on my test system.

I'll let you know.
                Thanks Charles.
                That would be the preferred approach although I still suggest backing up HS3 before installing the beta of SDJ-VStat as it changes the format of the PED stored in the root devices. I have been running the beta on my HS3 production system for a few days now without problem.

I'm the same about HS4 currently. There are still things on my HS3 production system that I am having trouble doing in HS4. That prevents me running it long enough for any serious long term testing. Nothing so far in HS4 attracts me to upgrade. That will change when new features start being added to HS4, which I am sure will come once things settle down. Conditions on actions is the one that will probably hook me.

Steve

Comment

So here are some observations:

1. No more errors. That's good news.
                  2. Updated plugin must have done something that caused HS Touch lose reference to thermostat device. Other thing that I use in HS Touch such as Zone Control, Target temperature remained unchanged and working. Controlling thermostat was not working because original thermostat was not available. I needed to go to HS Touch and select thermostat again actions to happen and re-upload the project.

For me it's no big deal. I have only one thermostat for demonstration purposes and it took me just a few minutes.

I am a little bit confused by names...

In the plug-in config name of the thermostat is set as Rec Room - BSMT D
                  That corresponds with device name in HS4 web UI.
                  However when I try to select thermostat in HS Touch the name is shown as VSTAT Rec Room - BSMT D 1

I am wondering if that what causes HS Touch not to see old original thermostat that was there before plug-in update.

I hope that helps. Charles

Comment

So here are some observations:

1. No more errors. That's good news.
                    2. Updated plugin must have done something that caused HS Touch lose reference to thermostat device. Other thing that I use in HS Touch such as Zone Control, Target temperature remained unchanged and working. Controlling thermostat was not working because original thermostat was not available. I needed to go to HS Touch and select thermostat again actions to happen and re-upload the project.

For me it's no big deal. I have only one thermostat for demonstration purposes and it took me just a few minutes.

I am a little bit confused by names...

In the plug-in config name of the thermostat is set as Rec Room - BSMT D
                    That corresponds with device name in HS4 web UI.
                    However when I try to select thermostat in HS Touch the name is shown as VSTAT Rec Room - BSMT D 1

I am wondering if that what causes HS Touch not to see old original thermostat that was there before plug-in update.

I hope that helps. Charles
                    Hi Charles,
                    Thanks for testing and the feedback.
                    It looks like the change in format of PED data solves the issue with the HS3 to HS4 conversion so that's good.

Can you explain a bit more about HSTouch losing reference to thermostat device. Is this with HS3 or HS4?

The update in the pi only changes the format of the PED in the root device it doesn't change any references, types or control uses so I'm not sure why it would affect HSTouch. The only other thing I changed in this update was that the pi devices and web pages aren't initialized in the initial HS InitIO call but are delayed for 15 seconds. That didn't solve the HS4 issue but is better practice anyway so I left the change in.
                    I only use custom screens in HSTouch for my VStats and they aren't affected. I haven't used any built in Thermostat templates so I'm not familiar with how they work. I think HSTouch shows the name as:
                    [Location1]:[Parent Device Name]:1
                    None of those should have changed due to the pi update although it might change going from HS3-HS4.

Steve

Comment

I am not sure what happened but when I updated plug-in and upgraded to to HS4 I could not change temperature from HS Touch anymore. I have buttons 60 , 65, 70 etc. to quickly set temperature. I could change it from HS web interface so I figured it must be HS Touch problem.

In HS Touch under Element properties for that button Actions > ActionWhenReleased I use Thermostat: Set the Heat Setpoint where you select Thermostat and Setpoint.

Because I could not control it from HS Touch I opened project in HS Designer and found out that Thermostat field in action above was empty. That usually happens when previously used device is missing or HS Designer doesn't see it. All other devices were still there. That was under HS4.

I connected to HS3 server (which is identical) with HS Designer and same thing was there. Thermostat field empty. I had to select thermostat in Thermostat field again, re-deploy the project and everything was working again.

I have no idea how and why the thermostat disappeared. I would not even know how to find out. Just wanted to share.

Like I said, it was not a big deal at all for me.

Charles

Comment

I am not sure what happened but when I updated plug-in and upgraded to to HS4 I could not change temperature from HS Touch anymore. I have buttons 60 , 65, 70 etc. to quickly set temperature. I could change it from HS web interface so I figured it must be HS Touch problem.

In HS Touch under Element properties for that button Actions > ActionWhenReleased I use Thermostat: Set the Heat Setpoint where you select Thermostat and Setpoint.

Because I could not control it from HS Touch I opened project in HS Designer and found out that Thermostat field in action above was empty. That usually happens when previously used device is missing or HS Designer doesn't see it. All other devices were still there. That was under HS4.

I connected to HS3 server (which is identical) with HS Designer and same thing was there. Thermostat field empty. I had to select thermostat in Thermostat field again, re-deploy the project and everything was working again.

I have no idea how and why the thermostat disappeared. I would not even know how to find out. Just wanted to share.

Like I said, it was not a big deal at all for me.

Charles
                        Hi Charles,

Thanks for the explanation.

Interestingly I have never used the Thermostat actions in HSTouch. I always use 'Control a HomeSeer Device' actions on the individual control devices of the VStat.
                        Whilst Designer shows the thermostats by name in the drop down list, I would suspect that it actually uses the ref number of the parent device so that if you change the name it should keep referencing the same device. However, this might not be the case with the Thermostat reference. Either way I'm not sure why the update to the pi or the upgrade to HS4 would cause HSTouch to loose the reference to the thermostat as neither the reference number nor the name are changed. However, there all sorts of little quirks of which this is probably one.

I might do a bit of experimenting to see if can find what causes it. However, like you say it's not a biggy so I won't despair if I can't identify it!

I will add a warning to the sticky at the top of this forum for users to make sure they update to at least 3.1.0.5. before upgrading to HS4.

Thanks again,
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X