Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDJ-VStat NOT Working in HS4 (SOLVED in 3.1.0.5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDJ-VStat NOT Working in HS4 (SOLVED in 3.1.0.5)

Please be warned SDJ-VStat is currently NOT working on SOME SYSTEMS in the release version of HS4.

There is a problem with PED (PlugExtraData) stored in the parent of each VStat. The configuration information of each VStat is stored as PED in the parent devices and this appears to be being cleared by HS4 at startup on SOME SYSTEMS.

I will work with HST to try and resolve this issue but for the time being if you want to carry on using SDJ-VStat make sure you back up HS3 before testing an upgrade and be prepared to go back if necessary.

Sorry about that.
    Steve
    Last edited by SteveMSJ; July 7, 2020, 12:53 PM. Reason: Updated information.

Drat. I just upgraded to HS4.
    please keep us posted
    thanks Steve

Comment

Originally posted by metkhoo View Post
      Drat. I just upgraded to HS4.
      please keep us posted
      thanks Steve
      Well if you have got as far as trying it let me know what you find.

I'm currently trying to troubleshoot the issue so have done a fresh install of HS4 to cut out as many variables as possible.
      Installed SDJ-VStat, created a couple of VStats and some virtual devices to assign as temp sensors. Edited some schedules.
      Closed down HS4 and restarted several times without any problems. PED loading ok.
      I do see occasional Homeseer database error messages:
      HomeSeer
      Error
      Saving database: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: collection

but they don't seem to be connected to the pi.

So, the plot thickens. Maybe it is only an issue with upgraded databases. I will explore further.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Well if you have got as far as trying it let me know what you find.

I'm currently trying to troubleshoot the issue so have done a fresh install of HS4 to cut out as many variables as possible.
        Installed SDJ-VStat, created a couple of VStats and some virtual devices to assign as temp sensors. Edited some schedules.
        Closed down HS4 and restarted several times without any problems. PED loading ok.
        I do see occasional Homeseer database error messages:
        HomeSeer
        Error
        Saving database: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: collection

but they don't seem to be connected to the pi.

So, the plot thickens. Maybe it is only an issue with upgraded databases. I will explore further.
        This gets more confusing.
        Clean install of HS4 on my development PC with SDJ-VStat installed, some test VStats and virtual devices setup and everything working fine.
        Next, I imported my production HS3 database into the clean HS4 (development PC) and that ran fine, no issues with reading PED at startup. I decided the issue must be caused by installing HS4 over HS3.

So, I uninstalled and scrubbed HS4 from my production PC, installed HS4 fresh and imported my HS3 database. Now it throws the errors again when trying to read the PED from the VStats. Strange, as this had worked on my development PC. Note both production PC and development PC are both Windows 10 64 bit. I do have a Linux test setup on a Pi4 but I haven't had a chance to play with that yet.

So, I replaced the entire HS4 folder on my development PC with the HS4 folder I had just been testing with errors on my production PC. Low and behold it woks with no issues on my development PC. With the exact same installation of HS4 copied from Production PC to Development PC, the PED issue shows on one whilst works perfectly on the other! Go figure.

This makes troubleshooting harder as I can't duplicate the issue on my development laptop to be able to debug. I will have to debug on my production machine which is more difficult and requires my house automation to be shut down whilst I do it.

It will take time, but I need to try and understand better what is happening to be able to nudge HST in the right direction to fix the problem.

Steve

Comment

I do have a Linux test setup on a Pi4 but I haven't had a chance to play with that yet.
          A further update, the same database that throws the PED read error on my production windows system works fine without error on my HS4 Linux test system running on a Raspberry Pi4.

Steve

Comment

A further update, the same database that throws the PED read error on my production windows system works fine without error on my HS4 Linux test system running on a Raspberry Pi4.
            After extensive testing and debugging what I have found is as follows:

I have set up 3 No HS4 test systems, 2 are on Windows 10 PCs one is on a Raspberry Pi4 running full HS4
            On one windows PC and the Pi4 I have no issues with SDJ-VStat running on HS4.
            On the other Windows PC HS4 clears the pluginExtraData that is saved in the Parent device of each VStat each time it is restarted. SDJ-VStat can NOT run under HS4 on this PC.

The clearing of the PED happens whether SDJ-VStat is installed or not. I have tested a clean install of HS4 with NO plug-ins installed. The database contains only a single VStat that was created in HS3 and the database imported into the clean HS4. On restart of HS4 the PED of the VStat is deleted.

I can import the exact same database on a clean install of HS4 on my other Windows PC and my Pi4, restarting HS4 does NOT delete the PED of the parent device. It appears to be something to do with the conversion of the device data from a database to json files but I don't know what. It isn't universal as my other pi SDJ-Health also stores PED data in devices and they aren't being cleared so it's something to do with the type or amount of PED stored by SDJ-VStat.

I have put together as much information about the issue as I can and submitted it to the bug reporting help centre as HSCS-325.

I'll post when I get feedback from HST.

In the meantime if you are a SDJ-VStat user and want to upgrade to HS4 by all means give it a go, it may or may not work on your system. It does at least seem to be consistent in that if it works it works, and if it doesn't it doesn't. So once tested ok you shouldn't have any other problems.

Steve

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have now got a work round to avoid HS4 deleting the PED in the VStat root devices. I need to test it for a bit longer today before releasing it as a beta.

Steve

Comment

Just reporting back. For some reason, after running for some time after HS4 reboot, I get this error as an HTML page attempting to view the Config:
                "error - Value cannot be null. Parameter name: input"

The log gives me the error:
                SDJ-VStat Error building Config web page: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: input

/Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by metkhoo View Post
                  Just reporting back. For some reason, after running for some time after HS4 reboot, I get this error as an HTML page attempting to view the Config:
                  "error - Value cannot be null. Parameter name: input"

The log gives me the error:
                  SDJ-VStat Error building Config web page: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: input

/Marcus
                  Hi Marcus

That error is a consequence of the PED being deleted/corrupted.
                  I'll post a beta later today, when I've run a few more tests, and hopefully you could try it.

Steve

Comment

Hi Marcus

I'll post a beta later today, when I've run a few more tests, and hopefully you could try it.

Steve
                    Lovely thanks Steve

Comment

Hi Marcus

Steve
                      Can you try 3.1.0.5 BETA.

Backup first because this is a beta.

Ideally you upgrade to this version and let it run and convert devices before upgrading to HS4. If you are still running HS3 as production then you can do that and then import your database into HS4. Make sure you don’t have an older version running in HS4 before importing the upgraded databse.

If you are already running HS4 as production and don’t want to step back to your last HS3 database, then try updating the pi to the beta in HS4 and enabling it. Hopefully you can then get to the config page (note it takes 15-20 seconds after enabling before the config page can be accessed). Your existing VStats should be there but you will need to reconfigure them, e.g. sensors, controls, schedules, etc. They should then save and reload ok in HS4.

It works on my 3 test systems although the original worked on 2 of them anyway so I’m only tentatively optimistic.

Let me know how it goes.

Steve`

Comment

Can you try 3.1.0.5 BETA.

Backup first because this is a beta.

Ideally you upgrade to this version and let it run and convert devices before upgrading to HS4. If you are still running HS3 as production then you can do that and then import your database into HS4. Make sure you don’t have an older version running in HS4 before importing the upgraded databse.

If you are already running HS4 as production and don’t want to step back to your last HS3 database, then try updating the pi to the beta in HS4 and enabling it. Hopefully you can then get to the config page (note it takes 15-20 seconds after enabling before the config page can be accessed). Your existing VStats should be there but you will need to reconfigure them, e.g. sensors, controls, schedules, etc. They should then save and reload ok in HS4.

It works on my 3 test systems although the original worked on 2 of them anyway so I’m only tentatively optimistic.

Let me know how it goes.

Steve`
                        metkhoo Have you had a chance to try this out>?
                        Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,
                          Yep, tried it out on my HS4PRO system and no errors in the log. loading of BETA was super quick

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stat.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1402758

Super job! Well done.

Will let you know if I find any issues.

Best regards
                          /Marcus

Comment

Hi Steve,
                            For some reason, this is happening. This is version 3.1.0.5 in HS4 version 4.1.5.0

I could not get to the VStat config screen.

I uninstalled and reinstalled VStat 3.1.0.5 and can now get to the config screen again but obviously something is amis...

Name:	vsta1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1416250

Comment

Update: I subsequently disabled and enabled the plug in. This was the result after that. No errors. All very strange.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vstat1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.8 KB ID:	1416252

What is even more strange is that the log shows that there are two VStats. Which is fine. However. I have lost the sensors and control device settings on both.
                              Maybe that is a clue as to what is going on.

Name:	vstat2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1416254

Also, when I add the sensor and control device info and Rebuild VStat. I get duplicate devices

Best regards
                              /Marcus

Comment

Working...
                              X