Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If target temperature is allmost the same as sensor both COOL and HEAT is on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If target temperature is allmost the same as sensor both COOL and HEAT is on.

Hi there,

I use this to control fermentation for my beer.
    I have COOLING set as slave for HEATING.
    But when i set the target temp. to be allmost the same as what the current temp. is, both go ON.
    I had to make a event that prevent both to be ON at the same time, but my questions is there another way to fix it?

HS3
    Max temp change = 1
    Hold swing = 1

Originally posted by Franknh View Post
    Hi there,

I use this to control fermentation for my beer.
    I have COOLING set as slave for HEATING.
    But when i set the target temp. to be allmost the same as what the current temp. is, both go ON.
    I had to make a event that prevent both to be ON at the same time, but my questions is there another way to fix it?

HS3
    Max temp change = 1
    Hold swing = 1
    Hi,

There are a lot of options built into VStat slaving so I would need to see exactly how you have configured your VStats to advise in detail.

If you slave one or more SetPoints you can set temperature offset between the SetPoints of the Master and Slaves. If you have the Master configured as a Heating VStat and the slave as a Cooling VStat then the Temperature Swing settings will need to be considered if you don't want both to be on at the same time. The Temperature Swing settings can be configured differently for each mode.
    For a Heating VStat the control doesn't turn off until the current temperature rises above the SetPoint plus the swing. It turns On again when the current temperature drops to the SetPoint.
    For a Cooling VStat the control doesn't turn off until the current temperature drops below the SetPoint minus the swing. It turns on again when the temperature rises to the SetPoint.

Can you show how you have each VStats configured, as well as the Global Settings?

If you are using the same input sensors for Master and Slave, so the current temperatures are the same, then you need to consider the SetPoint offsets and Swing temperatures for each mode if you want to avoid overlapping ON states. You can of course set the Swing settings to zero if it is appropriate for the latency of your heating/cooling system.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

And thank you for your time, very well explained.
      I did try to change the Swing to 0 and it did help, but i would love to have 0,5 ish in swing without both turning ON.

Here you see how i set it up.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	--Global.png
Views:	73
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	1454487

Name:	--Heating.png
Views:	77
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	1454488

Name:	--cooling.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1454489

Comment

You are syncing the Target Temperature which works in a subtle way with the VStats, and isn't easy to explain.

In normal operation of the VStats the Target Temperature is set automatically to the appropriate SetPoint as the Mode of the VStat changes either manually or by schedule. When you slave the Target Temperature the slave doesn't follow the Target Temperature of the Master, it follows override changes to the Target Temperature. So if you use the Increase or Decrease buttons on the Master, the Slave Target will also increase and decrease. If you enter a specific Target Temperature the Slave will also change to this specific value because this is normally considered a temporary Hold temp that will be overridden by the next mode change. You aren't using schedules, and probably aren't using the Modes, but are probably entering a specific Target Temperature to the Master. Whilst you can do that, you can't set an offset between the Master and Slave that way.

The way to do it is to use SetPoints and Modes to control the Target Temperature. If you just want one temperature with no night/day etc just use the Day SetPoint. Tick the Day SetPoint and Mode in the syncing options, as well as the Target Temp which you already have selected.
        Set the Temperature Offset for the Day SetPoint to 1 degree.
        Click 'Sync Now'.
        Set the Day Swing temperature to 0.49 degrees.
        Set the Day SetPoint temperature of the Master Heating VStat to your desired temperature, for example 21 degrees.
        Set the Mode of the Master Heating VStat to Day.

The Target Temp of the Heating VStat should then be 21.0 and the Cooling VStat 22.0.
        If the temperature is 20.0 degrees the Heating Control should be ON and it will stay ON until the temperature reaches 21.5 degrees, then it will turn OFF.
        If the temperature continues to rise the Cooling Control should come on when it reaches 22.0 degrees and will stay ON until the temperature drops to 21.5 degrees.
        The Heating Control won't come ON until the temperature drops to 21.0 degrees.

If you click the Increase button on the Master VStat the Heating Target Temperatures will increase to 21.5 and the Cooling Target Temperature to 22.5. However if you type a value into the Target Temperature of the Heating VStat the Target Temperature of the Cooling VStat will change to the same value with no offset. So, don't set the temperature directly by entering a value for the Target Temperature.

If you want to permanently change your Target Temperature change the SetPoint of the Mode you are in and the Slave will change as well but maintaining the offset.
        You could of course set all three SetPoints so you can switch between them using the Mode buttons.

All the number in the above are just examples and may not be appropriate for what you are doing.

Let me know if that makes sense and how you get on.

Steve

Comment

I have now set it up as you have described.
          Will brew tomorrow so then i will seen whether it is a success. But it seems to be perfect.

I use an esp32 with firmware (tiltbrige) that sending MQTT to Homeseer where i get the numbers of fermentation in SG.

Because when you brew ex. Pilsner its the amount of sugar (SG) that decides when its time to change temperature.
          So i start at 9C until 50% fermentation, then 13C to 70% then 17C to 90% then 19C to 100% an finally 3 days at 3C.
          This controlled with events.

Thanks a lot for your help, this was more then i ever hoped for

Comment

Originally posted by Franknh View Post
            I have now set it up as you have described. Will brew tomorrow so then i will seen whether it is a success. It seems to be perfect.
            Thanks a lot for your help, this was more then i ever hoped for
            Best of luck with the brew.
            I expect a taste of I’m ever in Norway😝

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Best of luck with the brew.
              I expect a taste of I’m ever in Norway😝
              Thanks!!
              For sure, no problem

Comment

Working...
              X