Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ActiveBackup Possibilities?

Hi,

I have used this for a short while just to backup my HomeSeer folder each night, and it does it really well.... I was just wondering if it is suitable for/capable of backing up the data on an entire drive (not a boot drive). Talking of about 20GB+ from one drive to another - can you even have Zip files that big??? Also what about incremental backups?

Also is there any way that it can be made to only consume (for example) 50% of available CPU power? I say this as I am currently experiencing problems with my current backup software (Nero backITup) hogging the CPU and causing RFiD errors on my system

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, 20GB is possible,but not incremental.
    I suggest you to make an uncompressed backup. In this case, the plugin only copy modified files,preserving cpu.
    Note that the plugin,alwais leave enough cpu time for HS.
    Bye!

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try some uncompressed backups and see how it goes!

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Hi,

The backup seemed to work OK last night (averaged out to about 500MB per minute), but I had to check this manually - the check script only checked my first (regular homeseer) backup and not the new backup job I created?

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve-l
          Hi,

The backup seemed to work OK last night (averaged out to about 500MB per minute), but I had to check this manually - the check script only checked my first (regular homeseer) backup and not the new backup job I created?

Cheers,

Steve
          There aren't check scripts. The plug-in itself checks the zip.
          If in device you see |OK, then the zip is OK. Otherwise you will see |Error

Comment

Originally posted by themax74
            There aren't check scripts. The plug-in itself checks the zip.
            If in device you see |OK, then the zip is OK. Otherwise you will see |Error

Sorry - poor choice of words for my description!

However, I think I can see what the porblem is now - you suggested I do an UNCOMPRESSED backup - the plugin only seems to check COMPRESSED (zipped) backups? Is there no way for it to also check the uncompressed ones - I really miss the security/re-assurance of knowing it worked OK?

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

You might want to consider the Cobian backup software. Its free and does what you want. Google Cobian and you will find out more about it.
              Thanks,

T.

Comment

Originally posted by steve-l
                Sorry - poor choice of words for my description!

However, I think I can see what the porblem is now - you suggested I do an UNCOMPRESSED backup - the plugin only seems to check COMPRESSED (zipped) backups? Is there no way for it to also check the uncompressed ones - I really miss the security/re-assurance of knowing it worked OK?

Cheers,

Steve
                Added to the to-do list!

Comment

Originally posted by themax74
                  Added to the to-do list!

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Problem backing up root of a drive?

Hi,

Last night I had ActiveBackup set to do uncompressed backup of a whole drive. Extract of backup action pasted below:

Make a backup
                    Source: F:\
                    Destination: E:\Software Drive Backups
                    Compression: False

However instead of putting the backup into E:\Software Drive Backups - it put everything into the root of E: and changed the names of the backed-up files & folders to include that path - example below:

F:\HomeSeer2

Was backed up to:

E:\Software Drive BackupsHomeSeer2

This has created quite a mess and I have not had it do this before - only thing I can think of is it doesn't like being told to back up the root of a drive?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Try f: instead of f:\

Comment

Cheers, can't believe I didn't spot that! Working fine now.

Steve

Comment

how to configure

Can someone help me getting this plugin to work, I see the Active Backup "Global device report" in the devices list and I have created a manual trigger event to set it to ON... What am I missing?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X