Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange request! Trying to mke the plugin fail

Max,

I want to create three vrtual devices, for my three different backups I run every night, so I can quickly look in MainLobby if the backup has worked or not, this part is easy and with some scripting I can manipulate the '$1' plugin device to split out to my devices, but what I cant do is make the plugin fail, yes you read it correctly I cant make it fail!!!

I want a failed backup so I can put some error checking into my script, please tell me an easy way to make this fail?

Thanks
    Lance

Max,

Better Yet!,
    Can you add the last 3 backups as an individual item so that if needed by users they could place them in specific pages like quick views or main lobby.
    I too like to keep track of the last 1-3 backups, but at the same time, don't want to reduce my current 20 backups down to 3.

LanceNorton - If Max can put this in then you don't have to fight to make it fail

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by lancenorton
      Max,

I want to create three vrtual devices, for my three different backups I run every night, so I can quickly look in MainLobby if the backup has worked or not, this part is easy and with some scripting I can manipulate the '$1' plugin device to split out to my devices, but what I cant do is make the plugin fail, yes you read it correctly I cant make it fail!!!

I want a failed backup so I can put some error checking into my script, please tell me an easy way to make this fail?

Thanks
      Wow! What request!
      I think you can back up to an unexistent device, for example S:\

In this way, activebackup will return an error!

Comment

Originally posted by karls
        Max,

Better Yet!,
        Can you add the last 3 backups as an individual item so that if needed by users they could place them in specific pages like quick views or main lobby.
        I too like to keep track of the last 1-3 backups, but at the same time, don't want to reduce my current 20 backups down to 3.

LanceNorton - If Max can put this in then you don't have to fight to make it fail

Steven
        I'm finding a way to resolve this issue.
        My idea is this, tell me your opinion:
        When you make a backup, now you can select:
        Source folder
        Destination folder
        Compression (yes/no)

My idea is to add this option:
        Source folder
        Destination folder
        Compression (yes/no)
        When finished, report status to this device

In this way, you can, for example, report the success/fail status of the backup in device B1.
        If you have more than one backupset, you can specify report device for every backupset.
        The device will report the success/fail, by setting devicestring and value (0=fail 1=success) and the total time the backup process toked.

So, everyone can watch this device to trig an event for success or fail.

Comment

Originally posted by themax74
          Source folder
          Destination folder
          Compression (yes/no)
          Yes Please, but you have done it again, I spent the whole of last night writing a script, that manipulates the last 20 backup device so it splits my 3 backups out to seperate devices, oh well, your idea was better.

But what does the plugin write to the 'last 20 backup device' when it fails, that is what I'm trying to create?

Max, please tell me an easy way to get it to write a failed backup to this device.

Thanks
          Lance

Comment

Originally posted by lancenorton
            Yes Please, but you have done it again, I spent the whole of last night writing a script, that manipulates the last 20 backup device so it splits my 3 backups out to seperate devices, oh well, your idea was better.

But what does the plugin write to the 'last 20 backup device' when it fails, that is what I'm trying to create?

Max, please tell me an easy way to get it to write a failed backup to this device.

Thanks

The device you use, will remain! So you can mantain your current script!
            This device returns |ERROR if a backup fails.

You can make a back up to an unexistent device (in this way, activebackup will return an error!), for example S:\ , to verify if your script works.

Comment

Thanks Max, and thanks for the robust plugin
              Lance

Comment

Originally posted by themax74
                Source folder
                Destination folder
                Compression (yes/no)

In this way, you can, for example, report the success/fail status of the backup in device B1.
                If you have more than one backupset, you can specify report device for every backupset.
                The device will report the success/fail, by setting devicestring and value (0=fail 1=success) and the total time the backup process toked.

So, everyone can watch this device to trig an event for success or fail.
                So long as I can see the status of the last backup as an individual item AND
                I can see the last 20 backups.

Then I would be a happy camper. Thanks for the plug-in - IT IS A MUST HAVE !

Steven

Comment

I just tried backinig up a non-existant drive (s:\test) to another non-existant drive (L:\test) and it returned that the backup finished and the text is green. It did not see that there is nothing there and return a fail.

Comment

Originally posted by MeSteve
                    I just tried backinig up a non-existant drive (s:\test) to another non-existant drive (L:\test) and it returned that the backup finished and the text is green. It did not see that there is nothing there and return a fail.
                    Sure.
                    The backup was succesfully done, because you've copied nothing to nothing.
                    Try to backup an existent directory (example c:\program files\homeseer 2) to L:\test.
                    It will return an error.

Comment

No luck. Tried to back up c:\program files to L:\test. It was still successful

Comment

No luck. Tried to back up c:\program files to L:\test. It was still successful
                        Strange...
                        Compressed or normal backup?

Comment

normal

Comment

normal
                            Ah, ok.
                            Because normal backup makes an "hard" copy of all files, checking all files isn't possible at the moment.
                            In the next versions, it will be possible.
                            For now, you can enable the log in config window and watch if some file are'nt backed up.

Comment

Is there a way to deactivate the default logging? I currently have only one backup set and no need to see the last 20 runs in addition to the last single run.

Comment

Working...
                              X