log messages with garbled characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

log messages with garbled characters

I'm running the latest version of ActiveBackup, 2.0.0.26, along with HS 2.3.0.0. I get these messages with garbled characters in the log. They appear when I look at the log on the HS machine and remotely via Internet Explorer. How can I fix this?
    Attached Files

Probably nothing!

It may be due to Homeseer changing over from Windows 1252 to UTF-8 character encoding. As this plugin is no longer supported, it cannot be changed.
    Jon

Comment

I wondered if that change was the cause.

Rupp, don't you have the source code?

It would be nice to fix this problem and also add a feature to allow individual files to be skipped (instead of whole directories only) in the backup process.

Comment

Yea, I have the code but it's all in French so it's really hard to follow. There's also the free backeRupp that will work the same if you want to try that.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Ok. I looked for backeRupp and must have done a poor search as I didn't find it. Where is it?

Comment

Is this the most recent version dated Feb. 1, 2005?

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=101702

Comment

Yes, but I've made a few updates and updated the thread.

Comment

For some reason, when I saw ActiveBackup on the updater, I thought I was getting Backerup. My mistake. If ActiveBackup isn't being supported, why is it still on the updater with no information to that effect?
                From the config page, it looks to be by the same author as SafeRestart; also defunct. Am I wrong?
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Good question. Fortunately it seems to work with HS 2.3 except for the garbled log messages.

Rupp tells me the code was written in French while another user tells me it was written in Italian. It would be nice if someone that knows the language would be willing to maintain it, but the first step is to determine what language it is in. I believe only Rupp has the source code for ActiveBackup.

Comment

It may have been Italian I can't remember. I gave the code along with the SMS Plugin code to someone else about a year or so back and they said it was so bad they trashed it. I'll get Rick to pull it from the Updater.

Comment

Once ActiveBackup is removed from the updater, does that mean there will be no plug-in's at all in the updater that provide backups?

If so, would HST consider officially supporting a plug-in (free or pay) for this function? It seems essential. I would certainly pay for a plug-in that is integrated with HS and maintained for HS releases.

Comment

Apart from BackeRupp, there is also BLBackup (free plugin) found on Blades site.
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
                          Once ActiveBackup is removed from the updater, does that mean there will be no plug-in's at all in the updater that provide backups?

If so, would HST consider officially supporting a plug-in (free or pay) for this function? It seems essential. I would certainly pay for a plug-in that is integrated with HS and maintained for HS releases.
                          There are litterally thousands of backup solutions for Windows available for free and for a fee. A quick google search shows hundreds and even Windows has a free backup tool under Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup and it works great. I use BackeRupp along with Acronis True Image for my backups and this combiation has always worked perfectly for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            There are litterally thousands of backup solutions for Windows available for free and for a fee.
                            That's great, but as I stated I'm looking for something that is integrated with HS and will be maintained as HS changes over time.

Jon provided some useful information. I will try Blade's plug-in.

Comment

I'm running BLBackup now. It seems to be well integrated with HS and is working great for me so far. I also had trouble with ActiveBackup double-triggering an event at the end of every backup. BLBackup seems to run very clean.

Comment

Working...
                              X