Active backup seems to cause response problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active backup seems to cause response problem

I've not spent much time looking into this, but I tried out active backup and found that when I enabled it my HS2 system seemed to become unresponsive after a while. It didn't hang completely, but the Status page wouldn't load. I could do some other things though, such as go to settings etc.

Active backup did seem to work ok, but I've disabled it and things are now back to normal...

Anyone seen this? Any suggestions?

Doug

I think you'll find quite a discourse (subthread) on the subject of backups, including ActiveBackup, here within this thread.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=155449
    Last edited by Wadenut; October 3, 2012, 05:40 AM.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I would suggest to look for another backup solution that works with the newer OS's. This plugin is out of date and really needs to be removed. I'll ask Rick to remove this forum and plugin.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There's really nothing wrong with ActiveBacup per se. It just puts a fantastic load on Homeseer. If a person realizes this and accepts the fact, it shouldn't be a problem. It's just that HS doesn't seem to be as robust as it used to be.

Comment

Thanks guys,
          doug

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
            There's really nothing wrong with ActiveBacup per se. It just puts a fantastic load on Homeseer. If a person realizes this and accepts the fact, it shouldn't be a problem. It's just that HS doesn't seem to be as robust as it used to be.
            +1. I like it / use it on Win Pro 64bit. I have it set for 5am on Friday mornings when nothing else is going on. I 've never noticed the loading problem.. when I check up on the reporting, someweeks it finishes in 5 minutes and some weeks 15 minutes.

Do you have a lot of available free memory when it runs?
            Paul

Comment

Actually, I was one who couldn't live with it.

Comment

Save activebackup!!!!

Rupp said: (I disagree)

"I would suggest to look for another backup solution that works with the newer OS's. This plugin is out of date and really needs to be removed. I'll ask Rick to remove this forum and plugin."

PLEASE DON'T---WORKS GREAT FOR ME---SAVED ME SEVERAL TIMES!!

Is there a better solution?

Comment

I love this plug-in and even sent some money to the guy that wrote it.

Unfortunately, I think it is the source of my memory issues with Homeseer.
                  It runs nightly, the first night after a reboot it finishes in 13 minutes, second night about 45, third night 90, around 190 minutes I reboot and the cycle starts over.

Using Jon00's Performance monitor I can see the handles go crazy.

Is there a better solution? It has saved me many times as well.

Wonder if others reporting memory leaks are running this..

Maybe make a weekly backup instead of nightly.

Comment

This is why I suggested moving to another backup solution in post#3. This was written so long ago and many things have changed.

Comment

I disabled this plug in.. Don't think that is the problem.
                      This HS build has some serious memory problem somewhere. HS build .58 was much better. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddiie View Post
                        This HS build has some serious memory problem somewhere.
                        Which HS build are you referring to?

Comment

Sorry, I upgraded from .58 to .60

I feel .58 had some issues but they did not appear for a couple weeks. .60 starts sucking up memory and handles the moment it starts.

Ran out of memory a couple times did not catch it right away, think it has hosed my DB somehow. I have had to delete many duplicate devices, some devices now say 0V for status (this one is probably a plug-in issue).

Comment

Originally posted by Eddiie View Post
                            Sorry, I upgraded from .58 to .60

I feel .58 had some issues but they did not appear for a couple weeks. .60 starts sucking up memory and handles the moment it starts.

Ran out of memory a couple times did not catch it right away, think it has hosed my DB somehow. I have had to delete many duplicate devices, some devices now say 0V for status (this one is probably a plug-in issue).
                            Yes .60 is a bad build but the latest builds have fixed this for the most part. You should move up to .77 or the latest beta as it has been running very smoothly for many users.

Comment

Cool. I'll look to do that tonight.
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X