can't follow along with instructions... screens don't match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't follow along with instructions... screens don't match

ok, maybe I'm looking at the wrong instructions, but they are the instructions attached to the PI.

I'm testing it out with what should be a simple replacement for events.

I have two outside motions. I want to create a scenario where if either one is triggered, it updates a separate virtual device (much like your example in the docs) but instead of them directly turning on a light, I have a script that runs my dome chime.
    So my intent was to group the two motions, trigger the single virtual event, which would then trigger the single event/script to chime on either motion.

Here's where I ran into issues.
    First the virtual device I created seems to not want to update and has a "state" error.
    Here is the status setup for the virtual device
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Captureaksmart1.PNG
Views:	208
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1469037
    Note I have the status labels as "Not Active" and "motion Detected"

here is the AKSmart Tab for the same virtual device

Name:	Captureaksmart2.PNG
Views:	93
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1469038
    Notice the States are "on and off" and the error message.
    I have saved, done refresh, exited out and re-entered several times... those do not change and the error message persists.

so I moved on to create the group anyway. and that seemed to work fine

Name:	Captureaksmart3.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1469039

Now going to the Timer tab is where I get stuck , here is the whole thing, then I'll address the issues that are stopping me from proceeding.

Name:	Captureaksmart4.PNG
Views:	97
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1469040
    First, in my current events for this event, I have several conditions on whether to chime or not.
    I don't see a way to add more than one "Linked State Device".
    For example, I want the chimes to only sound if home is occupied and the dog is inside the house. If I let the dog out to do his business, I don't want the chime to sound. Make sense?

Second issue:
    The "home is occupied states", I can't change the three checkboxes. if I check one off, it checks itself back on.
    These are also different that from the instructions which do not have the checkboxes but have a list.

Name:	Captureaksmart5.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1469041
    as seen above in the snip from the instructions.

So in short, I still expected to have to keep one HS event (the one that calls the chime script) that would trigger from the change in state of the Virtual Device, which would be controlled by the grouping under the AKSmartDevice and allow me to get rid of the other events.

3 Issues.
    1. the device status names and the error
    2. only one "Linked State Device" capability
    3. unable to set countdown timer for different states

What am I missing and or doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

This is on a HS3Pro system on Windows10
    The motions and chime are all z-wave.

Originally posted by RogerL View Post
    First the virtual device I created seems to not want to update and has a "state" error.
    It's explained in https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...59#post1285059

I did YouTube videos, did you try them?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmyrx8kXnWY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQczAoQyIoY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXls3KqU2SI

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-16 195810.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.9 KB ID:	1469115

It's not an "error" - it says that you forgot to select "Backyard Motion Zone" state which should be set when the group condition are satisfied - in your case you should select "Motion Detected" for this group. Otherwise how does it know what state to set?

Then for "Not active" state you basically need to copy the group (in HS4 version I added "copy group" button)
    - select "No Motion" states for the detectors,
    - "Not active" for the group itself
    - "All" for Group Logic

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_101031.png Views:	0 Size:	29.3 KB ID:	1469114

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Captureaksmart4.PNG Views:	9 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	1469040
      First, in my current events for this event, I have several conditions on whether to chime or not.
      For example, I want the chimes to only sound if home is occupied and the dog is inside the house. If I let the dog out to do his business, I don't want the chime to sound. Make sense?
      Again - you don't get the point - this is "CountDown Timer" page where you set the delays for state changes - but you are talking about triggers.

Comment

Second issue:
        The "home is occupied states", I can't change the three checkboxes. if I check one off, it checks itself back on.
        These are also different that from the instructions which do not have the checkboxes but have a list.

Name:	Captureaksmart5.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1469041
        as seen above in the snip from the instructions.

So in short, I still expected to have to keep one HS event (the one that calls the chime script) that would trigger from the change in state of the Virtual Device, which would be controlled by the
        I didn't finish this in HS3 version - so you can have only one setting for all "Linked Device" states. Because HS4 came out - I didn't want to spend any more time on the old version.

In HS4 you can:

Name:	WithLikedStateDevice.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1469119

Comment

I get events, they are linear, logic flow.... Yeah I misread the intent on the first set of instruction and didn't think it referred to the box below, I was too hung up on the states at the top not matching the states I had assigned to the virtual device like they do in your example.

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

Again - you don't get the point - this is "CountDown Timer" page where you set the delays for state changes - but you are talking about triggers.
          I did get the countdown part, the part I had the problem with was the linked state devices... I needed more than one.
          I wasn't talking about triggers I was talking conditions for if the triggers(from the previous settings) were to be acted upon or not.

Then it was the three checkboxes that are not in your instructions and I can't change to get anything to look like yours with the different status pf the occupancy.

But, since you said you are not updating the HS3 version anymore, and it doesn't have more than one linked device as an option, then it isn't going to suit my needs.
          that's a good thing that I tried testing it out first. Obviously you have done a huge thing here restructuring the system for not using events... Guess I'll look at it again when I ever update to HS4.

I just hope I'm not as dense when my Bond Bridge arrives next week.

thanks for your time, sorry to have wasted it.

Roger

Comment

I get events, they are linear, logic flow....
            I did get the countdown part, the part I had the problem with was the linked state devices... I needed more than one.
            Again, you don't understand - the Linked State device on CountDown timer page only affects the duration of the delay, i.e. lights go OFF after 10 sec when state is Away, and 2 minutes when state is Home.

Comment

I wasn't talking about triggers I was talking conditions for if the triggers(from the previous settings) were to be acted upon or not.
              That's the whole point of Trigger Groups - you add different trigger devices to different groups. It's got nothing to do with Linked State Device.

that's a good thing that I tried testing it out first.
              That's what 30 days evaluation is for

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

Again, you don't understand - the Linked State device on CountDown timer page only affects the duration of the delay, i.e. lights go OFF after 10 sec when state is Away, and 2 minutes when state is Home.
                you're right...i don't. I've read your responsrs several times, looked at the instructions and i just don't get what you are saying vs what i thought it meant for the Linked State Device.

i'm pretty sure i get the trigger groups. and the countdown timers alone.... but the Linked State Device is where you throw me off.

i thought of it as a condition?
                it's checkiing the state of that device after being triggered before activating whatever change in the virtual device representing the triggered group.

anyway, i'll revisit it with HS4 at some point.... maybe by then i'll be smarter or you'll have it more idiot-proof.

Comment

Linked State device is a condition, but only for the countdown delay.
                  https://youtu.be/aXls3KqU2SI?t=188

Comment

Working...
                  X