Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbfoster
    replied
    My laptop came and this weekend I did the transfer of HS3 to the new laptop. All went well but I had to fix two things in my Events. My last laptop was 32bit so HS3 installed to Program Files. My new laptop is 64bit so HS3 installed to Program Files (x86). I had to fix BLBackup source directory and I had some Events to email me a picture when the door bell is rung that I had to fix source directory of where the jpg is. Other than that all went great. I think I spent less than an hour doing the transfer. I highly recommend BLBackup.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• jbfoster
    replied
    Originally posted by mikepetro View Post

Was hs3 shut off the first time? It wont overwrite files that are in use.
    Yes HS3 was sut down both times. The only thing I can think of that I did is I dropped the files in the wrong folder.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• mikepetro
    replied
    Originally posted by jbfoster View Post
    Restore did not work. I installed Homeseer then copied all the files from BLBackup over the fresh install and nothing came back.

Update: I copied the files over again. This time it worked. Not sure what happened the first time I copied the files. Both times that I copied the files Windows asked to overwright exsisting files.

Jim
    Was hs3 shut off the first time? It wont overwrite files that are in use.

Leave a comment:

• jbfoster
    replied
    Restore did not work. I installed Homeseer then copied all the files from BLBackup over the fresh install and nothing came back.

Update: I copied the files over again. This time it worked. Not sure what happened the first time I copied the files. Both times that I copied the files Windows asked to overwright exsisting files.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• jbfoster
    replied
    My new laptop is not here yet but I did something last night to HS3 so I want to do restore. When ever I do a Restore should I delete the HS3 folder, install fresh copy of Homeseer, then copy the Backup files to HS3 folder?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• jbfoster
    replied
    Originally posted by mikepetro View Post
    I would have HS3 shut down before you copy the restore point over, many of the files will be "open" otherwise and wont get copied over.

Disabling plugins isnt a bad idea as I have found that some plugins run resident in windows once started, even if HS3 gets shut down.

If you run HSSentry (an option in the HS3 setup pages), shut it down via task manager after you shut HS3 down, otherwise HSSentry might start HS3 on you in the middle of your copy task.

Yes, events will be restored. Just be aware that the events, and the status of any virtual devices etc, will be restored to the same condition they were in when you did the actual backup. This could get you of sync if you play with setting virtual devices, or run events based on the value of a virtual device, or if an event set up something based on time of day, like other delayed events.

I have done this restore dozens of times when I messed up my HS3 somehow, it has always worked.
    Good info to know, thanks for the tips. I have about a week before my laptop gets here. Hopfully all goes well.

Thanks Again
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• mikepetro
    replied
    I would have HS3 shut down before you copy the restore point over, many of the files will be "open" otherwise and wont get copied over.

Disabling plugins isnt a bad idea as I have found that some plugins run resident in windows once started, even if HS3 gets shut down.

If you run HSSentry (an option in the HS3 setup pages), shut it down via task manager after you shut HS3 down, otherwise HSSentry might start HS3 on you in the middle of your copy task.

Yes, events will be restored. Just be aware that the events, and the status of any virtual devices etc, will be restored to the same condition they were in when you did the actual backup. This could get you of sync if you play with setting virtual devices, or run events based on the value of a virtual device, or if an event set up something based on time of day, like other delayed events.

I have done this restore dozens of times when I messed up my HS3 somehow, it has always worked.

Leave a comment:

• jbfoster
    started a topic Restore to New PC Question

Restore to New PC Question

I have been using this Plug-in to backup but never used it to restore. My current laptop is running over 70% CPU and Memory. I ordered a used laptop I5 2.8MHz with 4GB Ram. I may upgrade RAM to 8gb latter. From my understanding I install HS3 and all plug-ins on the new laptop then copy all of the files from BLBbackup zip file to the HS3 directory and overwrite the files. I have some questions.

1. When I copy the files does it matter if the Plug-in is Enabled or Disabled?
    2. Will all of my Events be restored?
    3. Any steps I am missing?

Thanks
    Jim
Working...
X