Repeated log errors, no log files and one with zero bytes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeated log errors, no log files and one with zero bytes

I am getting this error repeatedly in the log file and BLBackup is not creating logs for most of my backup events. The backup events do however appear to be running successfully as I can see the zips in the destination directory. Of the logs that do appear - they are always for two of my 8 or so events, and one is always zero and the other one appears fine. Here is the error. I am running the latest version according to the installer. Thanks.

May-27 6:07:26 AM BLBackup Error BackupLogFileWriter.WriteBackupLog(): Caught this exception - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

That seems odd - could it be a access issue to the folder - are you running as an admin user?
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

The server is logged in with an an account using admin rights. There is plenty of disk space. I turned on debug mode to see if there are any errors?

Comment

Yea turn on debug logging and then run a backup - once u see the error then turn off debug logging and attach the BLBackup-Detailed.log file zipped
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

Here is the detailed log. I turned it on last night, let the nightly backups run, and turned it off this evening. Weirdly it doesn't seem to have much in it? Then I turned it on again this evening and ran the full backup. Then when the log indicated that the backup had completed I turned of debugging and zipped the log. I don't see any entries in between the time I turned it on this evening and when I turned it off. It doesn't show entries to indicate that the backup ran?
          Attached Files

Comment

Yea you need to do these steps, then delete and recapture the debug log

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...-debug-logging
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Ok, I got the log file but of course the backup and the log file worked. I will have to leave it on and see what happens overnight.

Comment

I left it running for a week or so and finally captured some examples. The zip file is too big so here is a link - https://filebin.net/8zk1pln5k78amjzt

Most recently the backups - BLBackup_Log_2019-06-11_01-00-00_full.htm, BLBackup_Log_2019-06-10_01-00-00_full.htm and BLBackup_Log_2019-06-04_01-00-00_fullAllonis.htm show zero bytes in the backup log viewer screen. These are no doubt my two biggest backups - if that is relevant? Thanks.

Comment

I get an error trying to open the log file in the zip
                  Could it be corrupt
                  Cheers,
                  Bob

Comment

I will PM a link to the uncompressed file. Thanks.

Comment

That log file is way too big
                      My editor would even load it

I have added 2.0.60 to the beta section
                      I have added 2 new scripting calls that you can use to turn on and turn off debug logging to help make the file smaller

Code:
                      hs.PluginFunction("BLBackup", "", "EnableDebugLogging, Nothing)
                      Code:
                      hs.PluginFunction("BLBackup", "", "DisableDebugLogging, Nothing)
                      Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

I am going to delete the log, turn on debug, run a full update, and then turn off debug. The problem is that it doesn't happen all of the time so it will be trial and error.

Comment

Working...
                        X