Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Update disables access to NAS share

Hello:

I’ve been successfully backing up my HS3 directory to a NAS on my local network for some time. However, today I see the backup failed and I get this in the backup log:

Code:
    ** Backup process (One Zip File - FULL) has STARTED at 1/13/2021 11:03:38 AM...

Processing backup directory:  C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3   ( Frequency: Weekly (Wednesday);  Include Sub Dirs: Yes )
            Computer Name:  homeserver2;  Unique Alias:  Weekly-All-HS3
            Comment:  Weekly backup of entire HS3 file structure
            Number of backups to keep:  25
            ERROR:  \\synds1515\homeseer was not accessible!!

** Backup process (One Zip File - FULL) has FAILED at 1/13/2021 11:03:39 AM
    Windows Update ran last night and installed a cumulative update. Does anyone know what it did to prevent HS from accessing my NAS? FYI, I can get to the Synology NAS from Windows Explorer.

BBB

Hello:

I found that Solution 1 on this web page restored HS3 / BLBackup access to my NAS:

https://appuals.com/unable-to-access...ading-to-2004/

I went through the steps to change the startup type of the 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' and 'Function Discovery Provider Host' services to Automatic.

Hope this helps someone out there.

BBB

Comment

Another recent Windows 10 update seems to have stopped the work-arounds I posted above from working (at least for me).. I found this in an older BLBackup post that did make things work for me again:

Originally posted by jimbell View Post

The following only applies if you are using windows 7 as a host for HS3. (Not sure about Windows 8).
      HS3 runs as an elevated app.

This behaviour is documented by Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...when-uac-is-co

I used the registry edit method at the end of the article and now all the shares are seen by my elevated applications including HS3.
      From what I understand of Microsoft's description, HomeSeer operates as an "elevated application", and so mappings / paths to non-local devices / drives are not "pushed up" to the elevated application unless you add the Registry setting as described in the Knowledge Base article.

Regards,
      BBB

Comment

Working...
      X