BLBackup Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
    Another, admittedly low-tech (but simple) solution is a USB flash drive. My BLBackup destination for my Hometroller S6 is this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Duh, I love this idea the best! Simple and easy as long as BLBackup allows me to choose a flash drive as backup location on the Raspberry Pi

Your s6 or windows is easy for me. thats what I'm using now but trying to move to a linux or low power box.

EDIT: All done, thanks for the obvious suggestion!
    Last edited by integlikewhoa; October 10, 2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Just google "raspberry pi mount usb drive".

I have a couple of these, which work equivalent to a flash drive, but for a mini-SD card. I mount them all the time. If you run into problems just ask.

Comment

Just google "raspberry pi mount usb drive".

I have a couple of these, which work equivalent to a flash drive, but for a mini-SD card. I mount them all the time. If you run into problems just ask.
        I already responded"DONE". I already mounted a usb drive and setup the blbackup, and manually ran it and tested. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
          I'm currently also looking for a good solution to backup to a nas, windows machine or something else off the SD card of the pi. I'm afraid if the SD card takes a dive I don't want my backups to be on that same SD card.

Anyone Come-up with a good solution?

My advise would be to break your backups plans into three distinct components.

First you need to backup and keep good pre-requisite notes on the OS. I use An RPI 3 as my Homeseer 3 server running Raspbian Jessie. I take a complete images of the flash at regular intervals using win32diskimager.

Keep a backup of your install folder. In case you need to migrate to a totally different OS.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=770449

Lastly, take a backup of the config using the built in tool.

Tools I use are BLBACKUP, samba and scripts to send files to my NAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
            My advise would be to break your backups plans into three distinct components.

First you need to backup and keep good pre-requisite notes on the OS. I use An RPI 3 as my Homeseer 3 server running Raspbian Jessie. I take a complete images of the flash at regular intervals using win32diskimager.

Keep a backup of your install folder. In case you need to migrate to a totally different OS.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=770449

Lastly, take a backup of the config using the built in tool.

Tools I use are BLBACKUP, samba and scripts to send files to my NAS.

So complete SD card copy I think I understand
            The "install folder" I think you mean the "HomeSeer" main folder?
            And the built in backup of the config file, can that be done with an event and sent to a certain place?

Also if your copying the whole sd card is it really needed to copy the install folder and or the config?

Comment

Also if your copying the whole sd card is it really needed to copy the install folder and or the config?
              You can never have too many backups!

The sd card back up creates one big file, so the other backups are handy if you just need to recover one or a few files. However, I personally don't use the HS config backup feature as the other backups I use already backup those same files (plus more) daily.

Cheers
              Al
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

rpi-clone - alternative/supplement to Windiskimager

Ran across this a few days ago - initial impression is good.
                https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bi...ster/rpi-clone

Allows in-place clone of SD card. Another nice feature is that it allows down-sizing to a smaller SD card (as long as the used space fits of course).

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  You can never have too many backups!
                  I hear you on that, but I do want keep it to a min. since my goal on a pi was to reduce everything. Storage on a pi is also some what limited (altho there are options)

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  The sd card back up creates one big file, so the other backups are handy if you just need to recover one or a few files. However, I personally don't use the HS config backup feature as the other backups I use already backup those same files (plus more) daily.

Cheers
                  Al
                  Thanks for the info.

Comment

So complete SD card copy I think I understand

The "install folder" I think you mean the "HomeSeer" main folder?

And the built in backup of the config file, can that be done with an event and sent to a certain place?

The OS image ensures that you won't have to rebuild your server in the event of a failure, use it when making operating system changes to Linux.

Yes I mean the Homeseer folder. This allows you to backup software configurations separately from the OS. This can be done I between drive images for smaller changes

You could do with just doing an image only. I work in the IT field, sometimes being able to revert 1 file is preferable to the entire server.

Comment

Hm. I guess I need to get a permanent mount from Zee2 to windows share, so I can use that as the backup destination. . .

Just implemented a script to upload via ftp.

Anyone found a quick guide for a permanent mount point from Zee?

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                        Hm. I guess I need to get a permanent mount from Zee2 to windows share, so I can use that as the backup destination. . .

Just implemented a script to upload via ftp.

Anyone found a quick guide for a permanent mount point from Zee?
                        https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...utf-8&oe=utf-8

1st link looks promising.

Comment

Thanks! Sometimes you ask before you look because you don't have time right at that moment. . .

I have done it before, but not in years. . .looks easy enough. That would be nicer than using FTP.

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                            Thanks! Sometimes you ask before you look because you don't have time right at that moment. . .

I have done it before, but not in years. . .looks easy enough. That would be nicer than using FTP.
                            Set it up. We'll see if it survives the next reboot.

Comment

Working...
                            X