X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbradford
    replied
    Can you send command / messages to the sign thru MQTT, or does it require some other software? I see it works with homeseer, but sadly I do not use that, I have something else, but still would love to use this method, even if from a linux command line script. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    OK, thanks for the input. I got RJ12 to DB9 connectors, so I guess I'll be able to just swap the RX and TX. But I'll get some max3232 logic converts as well to just follow your guide.

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    spud , would you think that this also would work?
    I first tested with one of these, the problem is that this thing is a female DB9 and if you had your betabrite connected to a PC, you usually used a female DB9 connector at the end of the Betabrite cable. So I remember I bought a DB9 male to male adapter, but then the TX/RX connections were reversed. In the end I don't remember if I finally got it to work this way (but in theory, it's possible), and since I wanted to go WiFi only on my betabrite, I didn't need the DB9 connection at all so I bought the max3232 logic level converter without any connector and soldered cables on it (which was a real pain because the converter is really tiny)

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    spud , would you think that this also would work?

Leave a comment:

• mk1 black limited
    replied
    Hi, I built this today but I can't get any response from the sign I see in the debug console that BLLAN is sending data, but I can't quite figure out if there's a way I can see what's being sent out to the sign through the RX/TX pins on the NodeMCU. I might have switched TX/RX somewhere along the way, but I really don't think so. Any pointers?

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    Here is a follow up article that explains how to make Homeseer check an email account and display the content of messages on your Betabrite:
    http://www.domogeek.ca/blog/maison-a-t-adresse-email/

Note: the email functions used in the C# script have been recently fixed in version 3.0.0.312. So, older version of HS3 will not work.

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    Originally posted by joewilly1 View Post
    It looks like there's one more component that you're mounting the other components on. What's the name of this?
    it's an adafruit Perma-Proto Breadboard PCB (https://www.adafruit.com/product/571), but you can use any kind of prototype PCB board.

Leave a comment:

• joewilly1
    replied
    One last question

It looks like there's one more component that you're mounting the other components on. What's the name of this?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    here is the exact items I used:

ESP8266 (NodeMCU DevKit)
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs...608.0.0.RtLmXb

Logic level converter:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MCU-...608.0.0.O2HbPE

for the logic level converter, you could use one of these instead:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RS23...608.0.0.Fdx3aX
    which is basically the same thing with a DB9 connector

It's basically all you need, assuming you already have a functioning Betabrite. I can help you with the connections, but I'm not sure I want to commit myself to provide built boards.

Leave a comment:

• joewilly1
    replied
    I agree

I'm in favor of built boards. I like the idea of kits even better. I'm a CPA who sits behind a desk all day looking at numbers. But I feel I have an inner geek that's screaming to get out. I often times miss out on things people talk about doing with HA because it can be over my head...even the dumbed down version. I really would like to understand how to do this. I'd pay for someone's expertise if they'd put together a kit and/or youtube video or whatever.

I work for a major telecommunications company (rhymes with Schmerizon)...seems IOT is going to be huge in the future. This could be the start of something!

Leave a comment:

• jgary
    replied
    Maybe someone with a little more experience would be willing to build a few boards for us. --Or --- buy the parts and ship as a kit, with a small plastic box to mount the unit, with instructions. Instead of installing the board inside the Betabrite (where it is a bit more complicated for many of us), plug the wireless adapter into the serial adapter cord instead. This would require a power supply but that would be OK. This would make it much easier for most of us.

Cheers,
    Gary

Leave a comment:

• joewilly1
    replied
    This looks cool

I'm wondering if someone would be willing to go into a little more detail of how to make this work...for someone without a lot of electronics experience. Specifically regarding the electronic assembly and power.

I bought the grocery list of items as indicated in the post but think I may have bought the wrong devkit. I bought NodeMcu Lua CH340G ESP8266 Wireless WIFI Internet Development Board Module TE391 which is ~$13 vs ~$4. Maybe it will work.

From the pictures it seems I'm missing another piece. There's a little board that the NodeMCU device is mounted on.

Anyway...I bought a bunch of the Betabrites but never have messed with them because of the connection issue. I would like to give this a try.

Leave a comment:

• macrho
    replied
    Thank you! Ticker of scores is a great feature! Will work on it tomorrow.
    Happy Friday

Leave a comment:

• spud
    replied
    Originally posted by macrho View Post
    Interesting! Time to pull my BetaBrite out of storage.
    Where are you getting the game scores from?
    game scores are from espn website, I use sparkman script that you can find here: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...47#post1128547

Leave a comment:

• macrho
    replied
    Interesting! Time to pull my BetaBrite out of storage.
    Where are you getting the game scores from?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X