Configuration wiped out (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuration wiped out (again)

Ok I definitely need help, on the latest version I had the problem with the config link not working (then it started working). I went today to see why none of my zones are firing, and I (again) found that my BLRadar.xml file is back to 0 bytes. The file was written yesterday around noon, the system rebooted about 40 minutes ago (but I noticed oddness longer, first chance to dig in).

So something is causing BlRadar to wipe out its XML config. Could you consider writing out any new file as a temp file then doing a rename, this way in any failure I won't get completely wiped out? (this is like the 5th or 6th time since you moved to the XML file) Help

Best
    Bill

FYI I restored the XML file from a backup, BLRadar came write up. So seems to be a problem writing the xml file at certain times?

Comment

Do you know what what was happening when it was wiped out - that will help narrow it down
      Cheers,
      Bob
      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
        Do you know what what was happening when it was wiped out - that will help narrow it down
        Unfortunately not, it just seems to run fine and every once in awhile the xml file is zero sized. Nothing that I can think of (or in the logs) around the time of the file time stamp. So Im a bit baffled...

Comment

I am baffled too - this may be a hard one to track down until I can capture it happening.
          I will take a look and see if there is anything obvious that could cause a complete wipe of the XML
          Cheers,
          Bob
          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
            I am baffled too - this may be a hard one to track down until I can capture it happening.
            I will take a look and see if there is anything obvious that could cause a complete wipe of the XML
            Blade, I think I have a pretty good idea what is going on, two issues (unrelated the best I can tell)

Issue #1: On 435 I now realize I have been fighting the out of memory issue other people have seen on this build. I am going through and disabling plugins and trying to determine which one seems to cause HS to leak memory at a rate that it runs out of memory and crashes 2-4 times a day. Now your plugin is not running out of memory, but I suspect some call into HS is or HSSentry is killing you when not expected leading to the xml file having been open for truncation but an out of memory occurs somewhere that prevents you from writing the file out. A couple thoughts on this; when you write the XML file, do you force a file system flush to the stream before closing it? Also could you consider writing to a tmp file, then upon close to rename the tmp to the actual XML, this way writing the XML (if it fails) will not overwrite the existing file.

Issue #2: Sometimes at startup BLRadar throws an exception before the config link is registered. This became more obvious because the system was restarting 3-4 times a day instead of once a month or so. This occurs when the system is first coming up, so I don't think this is an out of memory issue but a timing bug of some sort.

Comment

Working...
            X